Good riding round Box & Corsham in Wiltshire

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited September 2011 in Routes
Hi, my work has recently moved to Box in Wiltshire and am looking for places I can maybe ride when I finish early on a Friday etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good trails & riding in the Box & Corsham area?
I found some info on riding in Box Woods, but that seemed to be not legal, and also some disturbing reports of sabbotage such as putting body height wire accross the paths :shock:
Looking on the OS maps there are a few uninteresting looking bridleways, but not the sort of riding I would hope to find in a hilly, woody area.

Cheers,

Simon

Comments

• Box woods has been used for MTB for about 20 years - strictly speaking it's illegal, but so many people have riding there for so many years it's become an established riding spot - MBUK even ran an article on riding there back in the day so go for it. Also try Browns Folly/Bath Uni/Pipehouse Lane and other gems - all marked on the OS Exploer Bristol and Bath 1:25000 map. Again, even though these routes are mainly footpaths, they've been used by MTBers week in week out since MTBs first appeared in the UK - and before then by riders on any old bikes! You don't get many walkers in the areas mentioned, and because it's footpaths, you don't have to worry about horses as much. Go out and enjoy, just be polite if you do come across any walkers etc.
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    also a fair amount going on in the melksham and chippenham directions, especially around castle combe.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.