New Front derailleur for Cannondale Jekyll

SavellM
SavellM Posts: 94
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi ya.

I have kinda bust my front derailleur and need to replace it.
But there are so many different types of front derailleur and im not entirely sure which one i need to replace it with.

I THINK its a bottom pull one, as the cable comes from under the frame, and the cable comes up into the derailleur.

Can anyone confirm which exact derailleur I need for a Cannondale Jekyll 3.

Comments

• SavellM
    Sorry this year...
    2011 Jekyll 3...
    Currently has a Sram X9 on it.

Looks like a direct mount, in my rubbish knowledge.
  • SavellM
    Anyone have any knowlege on this?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Can you not read anything off the broken one?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I'm sure if you post a pic of it on the bike someone can identify it for you.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • SavellM
    Good idea :)
    I'll take a pic when im home.

Thanks guys.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Did you find out what Front derailleur you needed?

I'm about to get a Jekyll frame as a warrenty replacement for my Rize, and im having to buy quite a few bits and bobs to build the new frame up as not everything will fit from the Rize.

The front derailleur is one of the parts i will need, could you confirm for me if it was a "Direct Mount S3 Bottom Pull" that fits.

Thanks
  • Hi mate.

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12801197

But basically its a Direct-E mount, as you can take off the bottom BB plate.
    So it attaches directly to the frame.

I have ordered this:
    Shimano XTR Front Mech E-Type 10sp M980
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54895

And putting it on today, so if I have any issues I'll let you know.
  • chick0
    SavellM wrote:
    Hi mate.

You can read more about it here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12801197

But basically its a Direct-E mount, as you can take off the bottom BB plate.
    So it attaches directly to the frame.

I have ordered this:
    Shimano XTR Front Mech E-Type 10sp M980
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54895

And putting it on today, so if I have any issues I'll let you know.

Hey, big thanks for the Info,

The M980 front Mech i was one i was looking at also ( along with the "Sram X0 10 Speed Front Derailleur Direct Mount 3 x 10 S3 Low Mount 44T Bottom Pull").

The reason i was also looking at the Sram was that i read on one shop's page that the new Dyna-Sys front Mech's only work with new Dyna-Sys front shifters ( i have only read this in one place so far, and I have yet to have it confirmed else where. I plan to use Sram stuff XX and XO, so will look into it more before going for the XTR mech)

I would also love to hear more about how you find the ride of your Jekyll, as i have yet to even see one, let alone ride one ( but i have been following your build thread closely)..

Also, how do you find it for sizing ? Would you say its big, average or small for its sizing?

Here is a review from the German magazine Bike.de (the only magazine reviews worth listening to in my option, due to their scientific approach, and technical and strength bench testing). The Jekyll scores the highest marks of any bike they have ever tested.

Unless you speak German you will have to translate the page, but its worth a look at ( did you know for example that the Jekyll has 155mm rear travel, and 98mm in Elevate mode)

http://www.bike-magazin.de/?p=3997

Thanks again ( im guessing i might have a few more wee questions over the next few weeks for you as I start to get all the parts ready for the frame arriving)... ;)
  • I'll definately check out that review today :)

Im 6.1" and got the Large frame.
    Honestly it feels a little big getting on it and trying it for the first time (i personally like slightly smaller) but after a ride or 2 it starts to definately feel comfortable and right...
    I havnt gone away yet (got that planned soon) but have some tracks around my place.

Taken it around a few times, and its great, good fun and easy to keep up with anyone else.
    Im not the fittest, and my mate is. He has a Giant Anthem and I find it really easy to keep up with him on the flats and hills with Elevate, and downhill Flow mode is super cushy!
    So I'm easly with him the whole way...

I need to do some more tweaking and setting up the front fork correctly, and I feel it sags too much, but thats just some tinkering here and there... But its so adjustable its great...

The rear shock was a breeze to setup...

I have XTR shifters too, so all Dyna-Sys stuff... But I have also seen that it is required for the front mech to have the correct shifters.
    But I *THINK* that is mainly just for the 10 speed, so you should be ok.
    Unless your mixing and matching, which i wouldnt reccomend.
  • chick0
    SavellM wrote:
    I'll definitely check out that review today :)

Im 6.1" and got the Large frame.
    Honestly it feels a little big getting on it and trying it for the first time (i personally like slightly smaller) but after a ride or 2 it starts to definitely feel comfortable and right...
    I havnt gone away yet (got that planned soon) but have some tracks around my place.

Taken it around a few times, and its great, good fun and easy to keep up with anyone else.
    Im not the fittest, and my mate is. He has a Giant Anthem and I find it really easy to keep up with him on the flats and hills with Elevate, and downhill Flow mode is super cushy!
    So I'm easly with him the whole way...

I need to do some more tweaking and setting up the front fork correctly, and I feel it sags too much, but thats just some tinkering here and there... But its so adjustable its great...

The rear shock was a breeze to setup...

I have XTR shifters too, so all Dyna-Sys stuff... But I have also seen that it is required for the front mech to have the correct shifters.
    But I *THINK* that is mainly just for the 10 speed, so you should be ok.
    Unless your mixing and matching, which i wouldnt reccomend.

I have been told im getting a Large frame (although no one seems to know when it will arrive), and im 6'2, so hopefully it will be ok, but i tend to like smaller frames also.

I have read that a few owners are finding the rear shock is best with less pressure then recommended on the chart, are you setting it up the same?

Another quick question. Does your bike have a way to measurer how much travel or sag your getting on the rear? I know the pre-production bikes had a indicator in one of the pivots, but i have not seen the same thing on any production bikes yet.

If your not already on it, there is a load of Jekyll owners on this forum,

http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/
  • Im not on that forum, i'll head there now :)
    Just reading through that link you sent... Looks ace.

Umm I find my Large is great now.
    Think Medium would be too small, so you should be good!

I set mine up with SLIGHTLY less pressure than recommended, but not by much.
    And not sure on the mesurement of rear sag, I dont think so but could be wrong.
  • chick0
    I'm thinking the same that Medium would be to small.

What length is your stem ?

So your bike never came with devices like this to measure travel or sag?

2011-cannondale-jekyll-3-mountain-bike06.jpg

2011-cannondale-jekyll-3-mountain-bike08.jpg

Pics are taken from here ;
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/06/21/can ... -category/
  • Nope not that im aware of?!

I'll have to double check when im home, but i dont remember seeing that :)

Umm ye Large is good for me, so at 6.2" should be perfect for you :D

I have got 3 different stems that I tried out, 60mm, 80mm, and 90mm.

I'm currently running on the 80mm but prefered the 60mm so might go back to that.
    Im going to give it a few rides and get a better feel for it.

When I go away on my cycle weekend I will take the 60mm and the 80mm and decide then.
    But the 60mm I felt more in control, the 80mm feels good too, but think I prefer the 60mm.

The 90mm didnt even bother putting on :)
  • chick0
    I already have a 70mm stem from my Rize that i will give a try first, but i'm planning on buying a new stem at some point anyway.

Does the front lift at all with the 60mm on steep climbs? I know you always can drop the TALAS when it gets really steep.

I'm asking as Ii would like to fit as short a stem as possible without having to drop the TALAS all the time.

I have my eye on these ;)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49156

or maybe
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34715
  • On a really steep hill when i was pulling hard on the front it bobbed around a bit.
    But it was controllable.

I had a Trek Fuel that on the same hill was WAY too bouncy and caused me to wipe out on the same hill. So I can definately say the Jekyll is AWESOME compaired.
  • chick0
    I meant to ask, do you have an over weight for your beast?
  • Err last time I weighed it (before cables and new XTR front/rear mechs) was 30.2lb...
    So 13.6kg.

I want to try and get it as close to 12kg as possible.

So in future im going to change wheels/rims.
    Change crankset.
    Change to a Tune QR15.

And a few other bits to get it lower, when I have some spare cash :D
  • chick0
    Cool.. I'm planning to build mine up with Tune King - Kong hubs, ZTR Crest or Arch rims.

this Wheel Configurator on the r2-bike.de site is great. It allows all sorts of options, and gives very close to real world weights as you do it.

http://r2-bike.com/laufrad/de/start.php ... first#hrid
  • Thats a pretty cool site...
    If only I read (German?!)

:D
  • chick0
    Install the google chrome browser, and it can auto-translate sites for you :)

http://r2-bike.com/ is a real weight-weenie site, but i love the way it has "true" weights for almost everything they sell. They are also very good prices, many things are cheaper then chain reaction once converted to £..

I just heard this afternoon that im meant to be getting the Green colour Jekyll frame-set, but they still can't tell me when.. It would not be my first choice of colour, but it will certainly stand out in the woods hahaha
  • Haha so a Jekyll Carbon 1 then?!
    Not the black/white Ultimate.

I like the Green, but do prefer the understated Black/White.

I got the top end Alloy, Jekyll 3, but dont love the colour tbh.
    And its different from the pics which irratates me, and I emailed Cannondale about.

But no reply!
  • chick0
    Well i have not seen any Jekyll's in real yet, so the first i see will be mine :)

I was hoping for the black and white frame-set :( most cause many of my components, which most are fairly new, including my Formula R1's are RED!!. So they are all going to look terrible hahahaaha..

Have you ever seen a green frame in real ? I read on another forum that it looks much much better in the flesh. :P :P :P
  • Nope not in real unfortunately...

I love mine, the colour not so much, but its not bad by any means :P
  • chick0
    Well once i get my frame, i will start a build thread on here ;)

I guess it will take a good few weeks to get all parts delivered and then built up. Hopefully it won't be snowing by they time it comes :)
  • chick0
    SavellM wrote:
    Nope not in real unfortunately...

I love mine, the colour not so much, but its not bad by any means :P

I like the colours of your Jekyll 3. In what why is it different to how you expected ?
  • Look in my build thread.
    The first image is black ontop but mine came with red colour.
    Looks ok to be fair.

But was expecting the black/white which I prefer.
    But not complaining :)
  • chick0
    edited September 2011
    reposted pics on your build thread :)
  • Can you re-do those images as they are not showing.
  • I've also updated my Jekyll build with some new pics
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12791340