So what Books are forumites currently reading?

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited August 2013 in The hub
I enjoy a good book.

No, I said BOOK!

So, what are you reading, and more importantly, is it any good?

I'm currently reading "Word War Z" by Max Brooks and it's great!
The zombie survival guide was also outstanding (and the reason I bought this in the first place).

Comments

• 1000 Years of Annoying the French by Stephen Clark. Got to the bit where the French are about to get really t'd off with us for not getting invaded by the Germans for a third time. Good fun.

As for World War Zed, I'm still a bit fed up with Mr Pitt for the chaos that ensued when the centre of Glasgow got closed off for a fortnight and we had the place overrun with gormless slack mouthed peds blundering aimlessly into the street as they stared the other way trying to catch a glimpse of Bradley. Bah humbug
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • I honestly had no idea they were making it into a film until I bought the book and the fella in waterstones was telling me he was looking forward to it. I'm quite glad I'm reading the book before the film comes out. i don't like doing it the other way round (watching the film first, then reading the book) I find the film fills in the gaps your imagination would otherwise take care of.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    "Caleb Williams" by William Godwin (only just started so can't comment, the cover made it sound good)
    "Tom Jones" by Henry Fielding (very good so far: funny, interesting; especially when considered among the other novels of the time)

Those are for work. Last thing I read for pleasure was Bruce Chatwin's "In Patagonia", which was incredible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm reading Dexter in the dark. Big fan of both the books, and especially the TV series.
    Got a long boring job of sitting around listening to headphones next week, so I'll be taking the newest two Dexter books.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited September 2011
    Sailing alone around the world by Joshua Slocum. Got a fancy new phone so downloaded some free classics onto kindle thingy.
    On paper Nebula Awards 2001 (SF short stories - can't beat them)
    Just finished Dexter in the dark (for the second time, read it when it first came out - my memory isn't what it once was. Chapter in before I realised but funny enough to repeat).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm reading Dexter in the dark. .

Now if we were in the other place, I could make a comment about how reading in the dark strains your eyes. But we're not, so I'll just say glad you're enjoying it.

Also just read "last light" and "afterlight" both by Alex Scarrow.
    Essentially stories about what happens if someone was to suddenly turn the oil supply off.
    It's actually very plausible, which makes the books really quite chilling. Well worth a read.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just finished Norman Mailers "The Castle in the Forest". Fairly creepy book about the Devil and a young Adolph Hitler.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Just finished the latest Conn Iggulden - Empire of Silver.

If you like historical fiction then read him - fantastic writer, his Emperor series about Caesar are the best Roman fiction books I have read (better than all the lost legion crap thats around). The Genghis Khan series is IMHO even better enjoyed them and learnt loads about someone that history is trying to forget.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I'm reading Dexter in the dark. .

Now if we were in the other place, I could make a comment about how reading in the dark strains your eyes. But we're not, so I'll just say glad you're enjoying it.

Essentially stories about what happens if someone was to suddenly turn the oil supply off.
    It's actually very plausible, which makes the books really quite chilling. Well worth a read.

Didn't realise Alex had done another book - I enjoyed last light - really interesting book and not such a ridiculous premise - google PEAK OIL quite an interesting read (once u get past the mentalists promoting survival kits).

If you like those books by Alex - try The Whole Truth by David Baldacci - decent take on how the internet affects public opinion and politics - but all done as a fast paced spy thriller.
  • not currently reading anything but have just finished a couple of Joe R Lansdale offerings a novella called Hyenas and Devil Red, both the latest offerings in a series of books about 2 friends who find themselves solving a variety of often unpleasant crimes, all the books are very dark comedy's, that are very easy to read and will have you laughing out loud one minute and grimising the next.
    http://www.thrillingdetective.com/hap.html
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    'Mars' by Ben Bova. He does some good stuff, not quite Asimov standard but very readable. (I'm a bit if a Sci-Fi fan when it comes to books).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I am reading "Skulduggery Pleasant - Death Bringer" by Derek Landy... it's for kids, but it is a good read as the dialogue is very snappy. I am under instruction to read it so I can discuss with my son, who is a big fan of this series.

I just finished "Anarchy and Old Dogs" by Colin Cotterill - the Siri Paiboun mysteries are great fun. Before that it was "The Savage Garden" and "Amagansett" by Mark Mills, both of which were excellent.

On a bit of a good run with fiction these last couple of weeks!

You should all read "Secret of the Gorilla Sisters" by Anthony Scott. This is a shameless plug as he is my brother in law and it's his first book... but it is a great (if slightly surreal) read.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Iain Banks Transition is next on my bookshelf to read - I like Iain Banks - not so much Iain M Banks - grew out of scifi I think or just read too much of it as a younger man.

Enjoyed Alexander Macall Smith number I read recently and have just finished one of the harry potters (not sure whether I prefer the films to the books or visa versa).

On an unrelated note - books are fookin' expensive in Canada - a £6-7 book comes in at 20+ dollars here. Its like literal rape (ho ho!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    I started Ken Folletts 'Pillars of the earth' again about a week ago. Tis a good read. Although im sure most people have seen it already!

I also ordered 'Karl Pilkintons Travel diaries' the other day should be a laugh! :lol:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Flat Earth News by Nick Davies, the journo responsible for a lot of the phone hacking story. It's a pretty damning look at the way news is 'manufactured' and manipulated.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Currently enjoying Mark Kermode's 'It's only a movie'.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • After a 6 year wait (6 years FFS!) finally reading the next part in George R R Martins Song of Ice and Fire series A Dance with Dragons. Had to reread the whole series so I can remember what the hell's happening...

It's good though. :D
  • "Tomorrow We Ride" by Jean Bobet.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Recently read "White Line Fever", Lemmys' autobiography which actually came out about 10 years ago so it could do with updating - even if his type of music does not float your boat i would recommend it anyway, some interesting insights into his caracter and some events and people who have obviously marked him.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    its probably an obvious shout, but if you haven't read the millennium trilogy [girl with the dragon tattoo etc...] some of the best 3 books I've read!
  • mr_poll wrote:
    I'm reading Dexter in the dark. .

Didn't realise Alex had done another book - I enjoyed last light - really interesting book and not such a ridiculous premise - google PEAK OIL quite an interesting read (once u get past the mentalists promoting survival kits).

If you like those books by Alex - try The Whole Truth by David Baldacci - decent take on how the internet affects public opinion and politics - but all done as a fast paced spy thriller.

Good call on the Whole Truth - I'll give it a look.
    Hope it's better than "Stone Cold" though. Thought that was utter gash if I'm honest.
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    rowlers wrote:
    its probably an obvious shout, but if you haven't read the millennium trilogy [girl with the dragon tattoo etc...] some of the best 3 books I've read!

That's good to hear, I've just picked these up to take on my hols...Cape Verde here I come!

I've just finished "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn for the umpteenth time...I have a handful of favourite books that I tend to read on virtually an annual basis, this being one of them.
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • rowlers wrote:

Fully agree, just pull you right into hi world.

Just finished re-reading Douglas Adams Restaurant at the end of the universe - made me laugh out loud, as is Stephen Fry's Liar - very funny, although both a bit odd in their own particular ways!

Currently reading David Baldacci's The Whole Truth - really enjoying it, a little bit like chewing gum for the mind[/quote]
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • bluehelmet wrote:
    After a 6 year wait (6 years FFS!) finally reading the next part in George R R Martins Song of Ice and Fire series A Dance with Dragons. Had to reread the whole series so I can remember what the hell's happening...

It's good though. :D

Reading the first book now, but finding it hard to get into as watching the tv series has totally destroyed my imagination processes I normally have when reading a book. I need to get it read and then move onto to the next one before the next series comes on telly.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • mr_poll wrote:
    Just finished the latest Conn Iggulden - Empire of Silver.

If you like historical fiction then read him - fantastic writer, his Emperor series about Caesar are the best Roman fiction books I have read (better than all the lost legion crap thats around). The Genghis Khan series is IMHO even better enjoyed them and learnt loads about someone that history is trying to forget.

One of my modern day fave writers. Loved the roman series. In the process of reading the Genghis series.

Simon scarrow is a good read if you like roman fiction. I also enjoyed Valerio Massimo Manfredis books on Rome and also Alexander the Great.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just picked up a copy of The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. Have read almost all of his books and am definately a fan.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Just finished Iain banks' Complicity and could get how 90's the book was he 's a fkn product name dropper that boy is last one I read by him was Wasp Factory back in the 80's.

Still reading bits of E A Gombrich a History of the World chapter by chapter - Brilliant

And have Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith cause I really enjoyed Child 44 by him, not a genre I'd normally read.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    rowlers wrote:
    Just read these in the last fortnight and they are real page turners, I just couldn't put them down. Shame he will never be able to write anymore.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Just finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Next on the list is the new Chris Ryan book, then got a few Jack Higgins books to read, and still need to finish off For Whom The Bell Tolls