Rose Pro SL-2000/ other sub £1000 Alu bikes

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited September 2011 in Road buying advice
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-pro-sl-2000-triple/aid:475562

Looking at first road bikes, pretty much decided on Alu (although i might be tempted by a Ribble but i'd like to save carbon for a nicer 'best bike')

So i'm looking at the £1000 price bracket -> and this Rose which seems to get good reviews in the foreign markets seems to be pretty good value, nice and light etc. (mainly looking at it because it comes in £70 less than the others)

(other possibles -> Boardman Team Alu, Cannondale Caad8/10, Focus Cayo, Cube Attempt etc.)

So anyone own one, have any opinions on it? can't find many English reviews floating around.

Comments

• CAAD 10 105 can be had for £995 and would defo be my choice if i were buying in that price bracket. That rose does look nice tho and seems to have better finishing kit.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Rose are great bikes, great company but dont forget german bikes are, almost without exception, wicked stiff
    Canyon AL - can buy their "new old stock" for less than that depending on size
    Ive just bought the planet X ALU superlight which is a great frame, bit different colours, lightweight, forks not great mind, and the only reason I didnt buy Cube/Canyon/Rose was I didnt want to be mistaken for one of the gazillion German cyclists here in spring.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • I have the next model up, the ROSE PRO-SL 3000 and I love it!

I spent ages comparing various bikes, both carbon and alu, Cubes, Canyons, Scotts, BMCs, Ribbles and came to the conclusion that Rose offered stunning value for money.
    Yes, it can be hard to get hold of any reviews of them in English, but they reguarly come out very well reviewed in German and Dutch road bike mags (Rose's website has links to some).

I had the lucky opportunity to visit the Rose store in Bocholt (a place any bike fan should see once in their life!) and get fitted for their frames, so I knew what size to order, plus I could see it in the flesh. All my dealings with Rose have been fantastic, which is different to what I'm hearing about Canyon...

Anyway, the frame of the 3000 is pretty stiff compared my previous Spesh Allez Sport, but at least you can feel the power is going somewhere!
    Mine has a full carbon fork and carbon seat post which helps with the road buzz, but I've never felt really sore after long rides which is good.
    The quality of finish on Rose bikes is really good, the welds are super smooth and the paintwork is very well done.

Basically, I'd recommend them to anyone, but the process of ordering one without seeing it in your local bike shop can put some people off...
  • caad10
    all day long
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • I have a PRO-SL 2000 and can't fault it. Unlike most bikes, you can customise it almost to the Nth degree before purchasing. If they sell the part in their catalogue, you can swap/upgrade to it for the difference in price. Other manufacturers don't let you choose what width bars you want or what length stem. All of this and more if changeable.

I fell in love with the bike when I saw it at the London Cycle Show. There was also a good review of it in Cycling Plus Bike of the Year 2011 shootout.

The PRO-SL 2000 has a alu steerer but I find the bike very comfortable. I chose a carbon seat post as per the suggestion from Cycling Plus.

My full spec is;

FRAME
    7005 T6 Ultralight Aluminium, triple-butted, internal cable routing, 51cm

FORK
    SL Blade Carbon 1 1/8" - 1.5, with aluminium shaft

HEADSET
    Rose Oversize, integrated

WHEELSET
    Easton EA50 Aero

CASSETTE
    Shimano Ultegra 6700, 12 - 25

TYRES
    Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD 700 x 23 c

CRANKSET
    Shimano 105 5700, with Press-Fit BB, opt. compact 50/34, 170mm

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano 105 5700

REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano 105 5700

BRAKE/SHIFTING LEVERS
    Shimano 105 5700 STI

BRAKES
    Shimano 105 5700

PEDALS
    Shimano M520 SPD

SEAT POST
    FSA SL-K SB20 Carbon

SADDLE
    Prologo Nago Evo

HANDLEBAR
    Ritchey WCS Logic II 42cm (clamping: Ø 31.8 mm, Drop: 132 mm, Reach: 78 mm)

STEM
    Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 90mm

HANDLEBAR TAPE
    fi'zi:k BAR:gel