Newbie cx questions

Noclue
Noclue Posts: 503
edited September 2011 in Amateur race
Hi, just a quick question about racing cx this winter. I've found a list of events in my local area on the British cycling website, but do i need any sort of racing license to enter? I'm all sorted for a bike but any other pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    You don't need a licence to race, but if you don't you'll be charged a day licence to enter. I'd recommend getting a licence, it's usually paid for itself after only a couple of races.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think it's an extra 2 or 3 quid for the day licence. I only plan to ride half a dozen events this year so haven't bothered with a full license.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    £3 for a day licence. £15 for BC Bronze annual membership (runs 12 months from the day you join, not Jan to Dec)
  • You only need membership there's no need to pay for a racing licence.
  • This is what makes CX so friendly. Note there are no license points tho, if you're a 4th or 3rd cat on the verge of 3rd or 2nd respectively, forget making the extra points over the winter in CX.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Noclue
    Thanks for the replies, but now i'm a little confused, do i need to be a member of British cycling? and presumably this is different to a race license?
  • I'm 95% it's like this.

Yes you need a provisional licence - that comes free with a Bronze (or silver or gold) membership - you can get a free bronze membership if you join an affiilated club (I think) so if you joined our club that would be a tenner or just buy one in which case I think it'll be about £15.

Alternatively as someone said above you may be able to buy a day licence each time you race.

For higher level cyclo cross (not likely you are planning on entering these) you may need more - full licence, silver membership etc.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Noclue
    Thanks, if i'm lucky i'll probably get to do 4 races all winter so i think i'll stick with day licenses.
  • Noclue wrote:
    Thanks, if i'm lucky i'll probably get to do 4 races all winter so i think i'll stick with day licenses.

Are you planning to race at Brighton this coming Sunday seeing as it's fairly local to you? I hope to be there for that one myself. Baptism of fire for the newly rebuilt bike!!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal