Stitching Panorama's together

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited September 2011 in The hub
OK so I was on a ride in the mountains the other day - took a few panoramic shot using my Canon Ixus's stitch assist have a 6 shot panorama of some mountains and a 3 shot of a lake.

I have a download of Gimp photo editor but havent used it much and have little skill with it and cant get it to do what I want.

Can anyone give me advice using GIMP (the help function is balls) or alternatively suggest some free software that assists with stitching panoramic shots together?
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What OS are you running? If it's windows Vista or 7, then windows LIVE photo galler (not the one that comes with Vista) does a bloody amazing job of panoramic stitching. Better than Photoshop on a fair few occasions!
  • found the function in there - giving it a go - lets see how it goes....
  • Sweet! Windows Live Photo Gallery literally did the whole thing for me - I only had to hit crop and select the area I wanted!

Here is the result:

SummitView.jpg

LakePanorama.jpg

Thanks Yee.
  • Anonymous
    No probs. It's ace, innit? :D

That top Panorama is awesome, I love the way the treeline flows through it.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    The top picture is ACE! That mountain line in the background is incredible.

Were are you there? :shock:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • Anonymous
    Abra wrote:
    In the center of the image, behind the camera, looking out towards those distant mountains :wink::lol:
  • That is a sweet function, makes me want to go an take pics. The last time I did something like that was in 2000 and it took my mate weeks to stitch my pics together manually using photoshop.

My wife's new camera clams to do panoramic stuff for you, anyone know if it is any good or if it just camera crap token functions not worth using?
  • Anonymous
    The in-camera stuff is pretty good, but it does depend on the camera. I've played with the sony method (sweep panorama), and it's just unbelievably awesome.
  • The in-camera stuff is pretty good, but it does depend on the camera. I've played with the sony method (sweep panorama), and it's just unbelievably awesome.

As it happens the camera in question is a Sony...not a top flight one mine but mid range, will take a look at that then........might even be tonight if the weather stays the same here.

Cheers
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    The in-camera stuff is pretty good, but it does depend on the camera. I've played with the sony method (sweep panorama), and it's just unbelievably awesome.

As it happens the camera in question is a Sony...not a top flight one mine but mid range, will take a look at that then........might even be tonight if the weather stays the same here.

Cheers

I've got a Sony camera and the auto stitch/panorama is very good.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    Abra wrote:
    In the center of the image, behind the camera, looking out towards those distant mountains :wink::lol:

Cheeky Sh*t... Technically its several images so there isn’t a true centre to stand at, but hay that doesn’t matter! :wink: 8)

Beautiful place either way! We don’t get that down here in the west country.
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • Abra wrote:
    Abra wrote:

Cheeky Sh*t... Technically its several images so there isn’t a true centre to stand at, but hay that doesn’t matter! :wink: 8)

Beautiful place either way! We don’t get that down here in the west country.

It's at the top of a 700m climb on the Frisby Ridge Trail, just outside Revelstoke BC. The trail starts at around 1600m and climbs to 2300 or some such. At the summit you then decend around 100m to a small lake (second pic) which unfortunately is the end of the trail so you turn round and head back - decent to start point is gradual with a few spots requiring pedal strokes but lasted (with 3 very short rests to get my hands working again) about 37 mins.

I am tryingt o get up some enthusiasm to put a little highlights vid together of the decent - I go pro'd it from behind the saddle - ideally I'd go do it again with three different view points but.......its a hell of a climb!