Who Knows Linux Distros?

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited September 2011 in The hub
My faithful Aspire One Netbook has finally bit the dust, failed SSD, too expensive and awkward to replace.
So a new Aspire one D255 is on its way. I've used Crunchbang on the old aspire one for 2+years, and its been faultless. So, should I stick with Crunchbang, it used to be based on Ubuntu and is now Debian based. Will it work on the newer Aspire One?
Any recommendations on a lightweight Linux Distro that will run on the D255 Aspire One?
cheers linux gurus...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use Ubuntu, how it stacks up against others I have no idea, but no complaints. Stable and simple.
    Linux for Dummies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rowlers
    the tricky bit is getting a distro that will run on the aspire ones, the wifi and sd cards readers can be a little problematic. I guess I'll have to live USB test them...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you can run it directly off the website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Ubuntu is pretty much the opposite of lightweight. How much experience do you have? If you can cope with it, you can make a very light distro based of Gentoo, for example. Or roll your own starting from a base kernel with only the modules you personally require.
  • rowlers
    whyamihere wrote:
    Ubuntu is pretty much the opposite of lightweight. How much experience do you have? If you can cope with it, you can make a very light distro based of Gentoo, for example. Or roll your own starting from a base kernel with only the modules you personally require.
    Too much for me lol. If I had the time to learn, would have ago...
    Tried a few and settled on linux Mint lxde, nice and quick and everything works!
    Will try a few no doubt tho!