Etape Cymru ?

6654henry
6654henry Posts: 105
Anyone seen the Etape Cymru sportive? Does some quality climbs up in N Wales. It has closed roads as well, it may well be worth a punt. Opinions?

Comments

• stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Closed roads are going to be a real novelty and it will be impressive if they can pull it off; closing the Horseshoe Pass for two and a half hours on a Sunday afternoon will definitely cause some upset. In general it's not a very inspiring route, it just loops around on itself to keep it compact enough to manage those closed roads. Expensive too. Fortunately, I live here so if I want the roads to myself I just have to get out at 5am.
  • This is what I wrote in reply to the new item on here with regard to the event

"I am lucky/unlucky enough to live just off the route and get to cycle it in parts regularly.

Aside from the cost my main concern is the state of the roads that it takes place on, especially as its a show case for North Wales that could be a regular event bringing money into the area from visitors.

There are people who may bring £5000 worth of gear then get extremely annoyed at the number of pot holes on the route, along with the surface dressing (stone chips all over your bike and people coming off on accululation of chippings on the downhill bends) that has just been undertaken on the stretch from Panorama Cottages to Worlds End near the ford.

If you are going to do the etape, i would recommend using training/strong wheels not your most expensive set or carbons if they are your pride and joy.

I have been doing the routes on my own with the advantage of a whole road to choose from to avoid pot holes etc, I would be hating to do it in a peleton or with a group of people. I still managed to get a blow out on Worlds End though.

The council have made a token effort with the pot holes just filling the deepest ones. The descent over worlds end will need you to apply brakes so that you have time to notice the pot holes and avoid them. I would rather do it on a cyclocross bike.

I think this is a great idea and the views are great if the weather holds, but I think that the sections of road have been chosen for ease of shutting them to the general public and there is a distinct lack of investment from Wrexham council on the road servicing side. I can envisage a number of complaints from the riders about the road conditions.

Good luck to anyone doing the ride and with a bit of beta on the Horsehoe Pass, I find it easier once past the 20% sign if you have saved your legs rather than burnt out near to the bottom ;-) That is after you have already done The Garth (16%) and Worlds End (?%) Not an easy ride but one to be satisified with completing."
    Road Bike: Scott CR1 Pro - Ultegra 6700 and 3T carbon, Fulcrum 5 (will have to wait for the Chris King Hubs and 35mm sections)
    Road bike: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Ultegra 6600, Fulcrum 5

MTB: Kona Five 0 2009 - Stolen 03/12/12
    MTB: Scott Aspect 620 2013
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    That sounds a bit drama queenish :lol: I ride these roads frequently, they're not that bad, not significantly worse than any other roads anyway.
    You make it sound like everyone WILL crash :roll:
  • This event features some of my favourite 'most hated' climbs from my youth (some 30 odd years ago) so I am really tempted to ride, but is anyone riding this?
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Sleavesley you are right ,its O.k riding these roads on your own or in a club ,when riders let on to you there is a pot hole etc, or you can spot them yourself.
    Dodgy have you ever ridden in a bunch when know one lets on whats ahead.!
    Rode the cheshire cat early this year ,you were lucky if anyone let on you never mind warn you of pot holes.
    Worlds end down to Llangollen ,the gravel on the road is the problem ,then heading to the ford, the road is very mossy and slippy ,take care. :roll:
  • dodgy
    The ford at the start of World's End is very slippy, I'll give you that. I'm going to be riding over that in about 2 hours or so incidentally. And yes, I've ridden in groups plenty and potholes are a problem if not pointed out on any road. And again, the roads around N.Wales are not significantly worse than any other rural area.

It's almost as if you have an agenda to put people off.
  • I can state I have no agenda to put people off, I ride the same roads and have actively encouraged people to do it.
    In the same vain, I would also encourage them to do part of the route if they could so they know what to expect and would tell them about the road surfaces they may encounter.
    My point is, more to the fact that as an event to attract people to an area you would like it to be a regular thing. What is the point in having an event that people all complain about?
    I think the event organisers have chosen a good tough route, but believe that the council should do more with regard to the road surfaces in the stated area (I know they have resurfaced Panorma walk etc) the timing of the gravel isn't great in that why couldn't they of done that at the start of the resurfacing season? Therefore giving it time to have traffic and also get rid of some of the loose gravel.
    The section of the road that I am commenting on is only a short section of the total event (8 miles or so) but i would still be hating to riding sections up to worlds end (after the bridge up to the ford) and then down the hill towards Minera stuck in the middle of a pack.
    Like i said it is the token effort of filling the really deep pot holes and not filling the ones of an inch or so by the council who are happy to say it is in conjuction with them that is disappointing for the event. I hope the event does really well, it would be good for the area, but think a bit of investment by those that have a vested interest would also help.

I also find the roads in North Wales can be significantly better than other rural areas!!
    Road Bike: Scott CR1 Pro - Ultegra 6700 and 3T carbon, Fulcrum 5 (will have to wait for the Chris King Hubs and 35mm sections)
    Road bike: Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Ultegra 6600, Fulcrum 5

MTB: Kona Five 0 2009 - Stolen 03/12/12
    MTB: Scott Aspect 620 2013
  • Its always was mossy at the ford at World's End. That was part of the fun, climbing up from Minerva first getting down to the ford first and waiting for the chasers to fall off. Me included.

Then it was down to Lllangollen for lunch, followed by a swim in your wool shorts in the River Dee before riding back over the Horseshoe and back to The Mills GOOD TIMES.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • dodgy
    You've just described my ride today colinsmith123, except I wan't wearing wool and I didn't swim in the Dee :lol:
    Great day for a ride today, I stopped off at the Mills on the way home but it was absolutely ram packed, so carried on home for tea and medals instead.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Call me daft but I think I'm gonna book this. code BIKERADAR01 gets you £6.50

Yeah it might rain and yeah it could be poorly organised

But it's the nearest sportive to me this year, the roads are closed, the weather could be brilliant and the route is pretty epic.

Finger is hovering over the button
  • The bikeradar01 code gets you a 10% discount ie £6.50 off.

Come on, surely there has to be a few Bike Radar riders taking part, inspire me to drive 250 miles for this...
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • dodgy
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that the organisers have established a sportive on closed roads, that must have taken epic negotiations with local council, police etc. But I am astonished that anyone would want to drive 250 miles to take part :shock:

Hang on, that's each way isn't it? 500 miles!

No way, not ever, but I hope you find it worthwhile.

Edit: You're in Kent, have you considered entering any French sportives? You could get to France easier than you can get to N.Wales :lol:
  • I live in North Wales and am lucky enough to ride the shoe, the shelf, worlds end etc most weekends. I decided to ride the Etape route last week and actually approach it as someone riding in North Wales for the first time. It made me realise what a fantastic part of the country I live in. The condition of the roads around here are no worse than anywhere else but the views that riders taking part in the event will get to enjoy are second to none. Combine this with closed roads, a field of riders from all over the country and a seal of approval from Geraint Thomas himself, and you've got a winner - and yes I have entered.
  • petemadoc
    Trigger pulled :D

After booking I realised you need to register for the event on the Saturday before. This makes things awkward for me as I live an hour and a halfs drive away so too far to pop over on the Saturday and too near to bother with a hotel the night before.

So looks I need a nice helpful bikeradar person to register for me . . . . .
  • PeteMadoc

If (and probably when) I enter I could register for youthe day before. I can come up the A5 in to Wrexham on Saturday on the way through to the Hub of the Universe (Neston). But best check with the organisers this is allowed.

I can understand why they want you to sign on the day before but it is a pain in the proverbials.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • petemadoc
    Thanks for the offer Colin.

This registration thing is a major pain the ar5e for me and I'm sure it must cause problems for others too.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Shall be doing "Momma's Mountain Views" Audax this coming Sunday all around this area and Cheshire it's a better route than the Etape Cymru on very quiet lanes and it goes up the 'Old Horseshoe Pass' which is really 20%. I unlike many in the Etape Cymru will be able to see the shale and pot holes around the Eglwyseg Mountain because we won't be getting in each others way. I will be starting at 9.00am with no hanging around from a warm cafe after registering on the day. Oh! and it covers more of the beautifull scenery too. All for £4.50. Plot the route here.... ridewithgps.com download to gps or just read the route as you go, jobs a goodun. 8) :wink:
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Thanks for the offer Colin.

This registration thing is a major pain the ar5e for me and I'm sure it must cause problems for others too.

ditto, hour and a half each way for me on the saturday too. The organiser's said you can get family or friends to do it for you on the saturday if they take a letter printed off the site nearer the time. Still bit of a pain though. :(
  • dodgy
    I don't suppose the organisers are trumpeting their green credentials for this aspect of the organisation :lol:

I am now definitley not entering, can't be bothered and I'm only about an hour away, but that's still 2 hours minimum out of my Saturday plus fuel costs.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    I entered a while ago so will see a few of you there, looks like it will certainly be a challenge.

I read on the etape website the road closure will be at a 12mph ave, how does that work with food stops? does the road closure vehicle just keep going at 12mph all day?
    So best make it a quick stop to fill up the water bottle?

Also I guess if your so far out front (Not me sir) then your ahead of the closed road?

Confused.com on how it will work.
  • dodgy
    It's simple. Imagine a vehicle travelling around the course at 12mph, uphill down dale, like a robot. From that you can simulate where on the course the vehicle would be at any mile marker. If you're behind that vehicle, you're in traffic.
  • JD_76
    dodgy wrote:
    It's simple. Imagine a vehicle travelling around the course at 12mph, uphill down dale, like a robot. From that you can simulate where on the course the vehicle would be at any mile marker. If you're behind that vehicle, you're in traffic.

Ok thats as I thought it might be, so the same then applies if your way ahead of the vehicle?
    i.e. not on the same road.
  • dodgy
    If you're ahead of the virtual vehicle, then you're on closed roads. The roads progressively open up as the virtual vehicle passes. Actually, it might be an actual vehicle that doubles as first aid, broom wagon etc.
  • JD_76
    dodgy wrote:
    If you're ahead of the virtual vehicle, then you're on closed roads. The roads progressively open up as the virtual vehicle passes. Actually, it might be an actual vehicle that doubles as first aid, broom wagon etc.

Agreed, I would have thought there would need to be a vehicle if its a rolling roadblock.
    + to stop vehicles just driving up the road.

Im kind of looking forward to the challenge of trying to keep ahead, flat out on the downhills and looking over my shoulder on some of the steep climbs.....
  • From what i have heard each section of the road will only be closed a certain times.
    The shoe will only be closed for 2 hours.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • they seemed to have extended the deadline for enteries and provided some prize incentives .. perhaps not getting the take up they anticipated ...
  • they seemed to have extended the deadline for enteries and provided some prize incentives .. perhaps not getting the take up they anticipated ...
  • Heatonrider et al - extension is due entirely to the fact we signed a v late deal with MAvic whereby there will be a Horseshoe Pass challenge incorporated into the Etape Cymru.

Mavic will give the fastest rider (in each age group) up the Horseshoe Pass a free Mavic Plasma SLR helmet. Anyone who completes the Horseshoe Pass as part of the event will also be put into a draw where a set of Mavic R-SYS wheels can be won.

Mavic will also be providing servicing on the saturday as well as on the day support.

We have over 1600 entries which for the first year has more than exceeded our expectations.

Please see Cycling Plus - October issue - where the route is fully previewed - to quote it's ending '..memories of a truely outstanding day's riding, we're convinced this epic should be on everyone's to do list, though it's certain to wreck some'.

Road closures: We have a window of 8 - 8.45 to get alll entrants off. Roads wll be closed to all entrants as long as the maintain a 12mph speed.

With regards registration - not only is this a logistical concern but the local community do need to see benefits for the disruption that is going to be caused by the road closures.

We do have arrangements for entrants struggligng to get there on the day and am happy to discuss these in detail with anyone on info@k-extreme.co.uk.

This has been an epic challenge to get off the ground and I wish you all the best

K Extreme
  • petemadoc
    etapecymru wrote:

We do have arrangements for entrants struggligng to get there on the day and am happy to discuss these in detail with anyone on info@k-extreme.co.uk.

K Extreme

You have email
  • JD_76
    Rode the first 30 miles of the route yesterday, and some of the climbs are brutal - particulaly worlds end - help mum...

The only place that was a bit hairy due to the road surface being poor was the descent from the moors road into Minera/Coedpoeth.
    Will need to be on the brakes all the way for that one to dodge the potholes, only a few hundred meters though so not so bad.

The new road surface round the panorama is lovely and smooth, the later part was re-surfaced with loose stone and tar but this has now settled nicely where the cars have been going over it, so isnt an issue at all.

Looking forward to the day.