Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 (Pics now added)

zoso7
zoso7 Posts: 66
edited March 2013 in Your road bikes
My new good weather bike.

Full Ultegra 6700, compact chainset, 11-25 cassette, Mavic Ksyrium Equipes. All standard spec at the moment. Just got it last week and due to commitments, not had a chance to ride it yet and im desperate to. Garmin Edge 500 (black) to be added, not sure of weight, <7.5kg for sure tho.

6073946528_43bf964f37.jpg

6073945036_8d3272071d.jpg

6073943700_5f87037278.jpg

6073947890_db3e9bb413.jpg

6073949178_ae793d5f87.jpg

6073412205_42647d5a09.jpg

6073953976_e06040dba4.jpg

6073956514_c18af2d3f6.jpg

6073418789_44815cc973.jpg

6073960510_4898f5847c.jpg

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    6073940696_656f1c6c4d_z.jpg

Looks Tall, Looks good.
  • zoso7
    anto164 wrote:
    6073940696_656f1c6c4d_z.jpg

Looks Tall, Looks good.

Thanks for fixing the pic, I just coudnt get it to work.

It is quite tall, 60 frame, i'm 6'2". Apparently Canyons come up a little small in relation to the specified size.
  • nice bike, but are you missing a top cap?!
  • zoso7
    nice bike, but are you missing a top cap?!

Thanks. It does look like that but in fact its meant to look like that. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think its a Canyon designed headset that doesn't require a traditional top cap. I think its called an Acros headset. Canyon will supply a cap, which is really just a rubber lid that slots in, if you dont like the exposed look, I like it, it looks quite unique.
  • zoso7 wrote:

Thanks. It does look like that but in fact its meant to look like that. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think its a Canyon designed headset that doesn't require a traditional top cap. I think its called an Acros headset. Canyon will supply a cap, which is really just a rubber lid that slots in, if you dont like the exposed look, I like it, it looks quite unique.

how bizarre! looks (for want of a better word)unfinished, doesn't water get in then?
  • zoso7
    zoso7 wrote:

how bizarre! looks (for want of a better word)unfinished, doesn't water get in then?

Does look unfinished I suppose. I suppose water will get in, haven't been out for a ride on it yet so im not sure how much of a problem water getting in will be. From a personal stand point I'm hoping that this bike doesn't see too much rain but living in Scotland its bound to happen mid ride at somepoint.
  • zoso7 wrote:
    zoso7 wrote:

Does look unfinished I suppose. I suppose water will get in, haven't been out for a ride on it yet so im not sure how much of a problem water getting in will be. From a personal stand point I'm hoping that this bike doesn't see too much rain but living in Scotland its bound to happen mid ride at somepoint.

still, it's innovative, and looks alright. and if it's all carbon under there then water shouldn't matter.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Looks lovely, I can see a white Canyon in my future.........
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Hadnt realised the weird profiles on the tubing. I just dont like the graphics on Canyon bikes. I am sure they are great bikes though.

Ultegra is very sexy too.
  • Nairnster wrote:

Really?

The new style ACROS headsets do not have traditional style top caps: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... 011/120907
  • zoso7
    Nairnster wrote:
    Hadnt realised the weird profiles on the tubing. I just dont like the graphics on Canyon bikes. I am sure they are great bikes though.

Yeah I hadn't realised either from pics i've seen in the past, especially the profile of the seat tube as it meets the BB area thats why i've took a pic to let others see it. I think it gives you an idea of how well designed the frame is, the tubes are chunky where they need to be for stiffness and as thin as they can be for compliance/comfort in other areas i.e. the seat stays are pencil thin.

I think the Ultegra Looks great, especially the shifters, it doesn't look great in pics i dont think but in the flesh it looks better. Looking at the website, the one specced with Campag Chorus Carbon looks awesome, but my other bike is Shimano and im happy with it and I think functionally it won't get much better than Ultegra anyhow.
  • ...and if it's all carbon under there then water shouldn't matter.

What? Think of the extra weight!

:D
  • If you think about it, a top cap becomes redundant after the stem bolts have been tightened.
  • ...and if it's all carbon under there then water shouldn't matter.

What? Think of the extra weight!

:D

if you're going downhill, it'll help! or drink it if you're really thirsty....
  • Hi,
    Looks great :D ,what do you think of the carbon finish on the frame looking at buying just a frame when I work out which size I need :? (5'8") 52/54?
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • zoso7
    The carbon finish on my frame looks great, its more random than you see on frames like spesh Tarmac etc but it still looks great and there are certainly not bits where it looks odd or flawed, I think the fact that its matt finish helps with this. In my opinion the frame looks great in the flesh, its almost like a traditional geometry, nearly level top tube.

Size wise I think your in the right ball park, 54 might be the most suitable maybe even a 56 but dont take my word for it. enter your dimensions into the onsite frame sizing system for its recommendation and to be doubley sure, go to http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO, enter all your dimensions into their bike fit system and get your output emailed to you. then forward these dimensions to the uk rep on the Canyon website. This is the steps that I did for mine and I think the size of mine is spot on. Canyon bikes come up a little small, I got a 60 but in other brands i would probably be about a 58.

I hope this helps.

BTW, the bike is amazing, so fast, comfortable, light, all the cliche's you hear people saying about their new bikes, but in this case its absolutely true.
  • What is your saddle height? I'm just about to order one of these.

Thanks
  • zoso7
    My saddle height is approx. 800mm from BB centre to top of saddle. still tweaking it slightly but this is round about where it will be. I'm 6'2" inside leg of 34", I hope this is of some help.
  • Thats great, Thanks.

I'm 6' but have a similar inside leg and a saddle height of 79cm. As i have a short torso I dont want too much of a drop to the bars.

Do you stick with the 110mm stem that Canyon supply?

Thanks
  • zoso7
    I have stuck with the Canyon 110mm stem and the fit is pretty good for me. There is a lot of adjustment available with the supplied Canyon seatpost also so consider that.

Canyon will supply you with a smaller stem but you will pay a surcharge for this, and due to the fact that Canyon use a non standard steerer size you will struggle to find a suitable stem elsewhere. A 100mm stem may suit you due to you having a smaller torso size but again the 110mm stem may suit you if you move your saddle forward a little.

If you don't want a large drop from saddle to bars then these frames are ideal as they aren't an extreme geometry, they are slightly taller at the front than most other race frames available.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Flintlock wrote:
    I'm 6' but have a similar inside leg and a saddle height of 79cm. As i have a short torso I dont want too much of a drop to the bars.

Do you stick with the 110mm stem that Canyon supply?

FWIW i'm 6' 1" with a short reach/torso and with a similar saddle height and i'm riding a 56cm frame. I am however running a 110cm stem instead of the supplied 100mm. Someone your/our height/proportions would be fine at 58cm, i think 60cm is a little too much reach.

I can show you photo's of my set-up if that helps.
  • Thanks Ekimike. Pics would be great.

I am looking for tip of saddle (Arione) to centre of bars dimension of around 570mm with a drop to bars of around 80mm.

Thanks
  • EKIMIKE
    Ok well i'm running 535mm between saddle tip to centre of bars and 110mm saddle to bar drop. I have my saddle reasonably far forward on it's rails as i like only a bit of set-back.

Here's a link to a picture of mine. I won't embed it at risk of thread hijack!

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy39 ... C_1044.gif

Taken from a little low down for ideal comparisons, but you get an idea. 58cm is looking right up your street IMO.
  • Thanks for all your help and your bike looks great.

I'm going to check out all the geo as it looks like the 58 might be better.

Is your saddle hight around 79? If so it should only be the headtube length that will determine my drop.

Thanks

Neil
  • zoso7
    I would say 58 would be bang on perfect for you. I needed 60 as i'm a little longer in the torso than you but our legs are about similar.
  • What are your tip of saddle / centre of seat clamp to centre of bars measurements please?

I think my problem with a 58 is going to be the bar drop. As more than aroun 80mm and i get shoulder pain.

Thanks

Neil
  • It certainly looks the part. Some nice carbon cages and black or white bottles to finish it off? I'd maybe go for a white seat post too, but that's just me!
  • zoso7
    Flintlock wrote:
    What are your tip of saddle / centre of seat clamp to centre of bars measurements please?

I think my problem with a 58 is going to be the bar drop. As more than aroun 80mm and i get shoulder pain.

Thanks

Neil

I will measure tonight for you, I will also check what my bar drop is also.

Keith1983
    Thanks. I currently have 2 Black Elite Race bottle cages on it and I have Black Canyon 750ml bottles on it aswell, does finish it off nicely. 1 of the bottle are getting replaced with a black BBB storage bottle for tools, tubes & patches so I dont have to spoil it by putting a saddle bag on.
  • Thanks for all your help.
  • EKIMIKE
    Hmmm well if saddle to bar drop is a key element then 60cm seems to fit better. Then again you'd have far more reach to the bars. It may still be within 570mm.

The my frame came shipped with 10mm (2x5mm) spacers. I have one on top, one below. So considering the 60cm has a headtube of 185mm, by my calculations (relative to my set-up) that's pretty much 80mm of saddle to bar drop with both spacers under the stem.

Again relative to my set-up you'd have 21.5mm more reach coming from the top-tube (stem make no odds as i changed to 110mm). So my 535mm + 21.5mm = 556.5mm saddle nose to bar centre.

You're after about 570mm. My bars are short reach and my saddle is quite far forward. So you could get the rest out of those two elements easily, without it looking silly.

So maybe a 60cm is better for you, so long as you're sure of your measurements. If so you must have phenomenal reach/flexibility for someone with a short torso (are you sure this isn't the source of any back ache?).