Strava.com - Put your money where your mouth is

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited September 2019 in Commuting chat
I've recently discovered Strava, uploaded my commutes and then discovered that someone has set up a segment for Chelsea Bridge to P'square. To my surprise Andre Greipel is in first place, with an average of 22.3 mph for the 3.2 miles and I'm in 5th at 21mph.

So, if you want to see how fast you really are, get on Strava, upload some data and set up a segment or 3. Other users can then see their times on the segment too and bingo, a leaderboard is born. I now just need to work out who the other 3 are ahead of me...
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Excellent app, plenty of segments through RP, even tells you if another Strava rider was riding your route with you.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    gorilla01.gif
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    My other apps - Endomondo, Sporttrackslive, Sports Tracker all seem to give similiar speeds and they correspond well with my 2 bike computers (information overload). I was quite surprised how good they were at calculating moving speed. Strava on the other hand always seems to be out compared to everything else. Even importing into it the gpx data doesn't seem to make any difference. It must have some odd method of calculating things. Great idea though.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can you create sections along Embankment if you don't do the full CB->PS route? For example: from BB to VB?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wrath Rob
    Yes. Someone has already done from just before AB to P'Square as one big one, and I've set up Westminster to Blackfriars, but you can create any one you want. It tells you your position on that segment for the day, and then your best goes onto the leaderboard.

As KevEss says, RP lap segments are great. Its also got the KW Club 10 course so you can check your segments on that against people like Steve Irwin to see how slow you are.
  • jzed
    How about from VB lights along Millbank to the last bus-stop (would say Ped X but that'd be silly).

AB - CB
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Blackfriars to end of NKR:

http://app.strava.com/segments/639928

Well look who is No1... Damnit.

This site will be the death of me.
  • jzed
    gorilla01.gif
  • notsoblue
    Is there an SCR club on Strava? There should be...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I was thinking of getting a 2nd Garmin sensor for the commuter. Guess this has made it a near certainty...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    There is now. Silly Commuter Racers
  • notsoblue
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    There is now. Silly Commuter Racers

Awesome, I'm in.

Anyone else getting a "The plugin has not been unlocked." error when trying to upload from Garmin?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:
    Can you create sections along Embankment if you don't do the full CB->PS route? For example: from BB to VB?
    All you've done in the last week is whinge about your curtailed commute. There's absolutely nothing to stop you riding all the way to (say) Blackfriars in the morning and then pootling back to Millbank as a warm-down :lol:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jzed
    Mmm seems I've the KOM jersey for Col du Putney Bridge. Wrath your 17th - must try harder.

Apparently theres a Cat 4 climb near PS - Jonathan Street Climb. I'm also King on this one too.
  • Installed...
  • notsoblue
    JZed wrote:
    Mmm seems I've the KOM jersey for Col du Putney Bridge. Wrath your 17th - must try harder.

F*cking hell, you managed 28mph going up Putney Bridge during rush hour!?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

quite! i'm a slow filter so i think I'm bottom of all the lists, faster than the cars mind you but thats not saying much, last time traffic was hardly moving for a good mile or so.
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:

bow%20down%20before%20me.jpg
  • How do you guys get power up? Is it a garmin estimate thing?Or are you both running power meters for your commute :shock: ?
  • jzed
    How do you guys get power up? Is it a garmin estimate thing?Or are you both running power meters for your commute :shock: ?

They estimate it using a power estimator. Think it must be based on weight, height and stuff. It'll take powermeter readings if you have one.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Think I'll have to try NKR and Embankment rather than the excitement that is (not) Castelnau, Hsmith Bridge and Bayswater Road. :wink:
  • Wrath Rob
    Enter your weight and your bike's weight, make sure your bike is selected on the commute and it will attempt to calculate power.

JZed, how do you find the Putney Bridge climb? I've tried Explore -> Climbs but can't find anything named "Putney" or "Putney Bridge" that's a contender. Might have to sort out a Wandsworth bridge one now though...
  • Wrath Rob
    Hmm, the segment creator isn't playing ball. I've created the segment for Wandsworth Bridge using the wizard, but when I save it the segment jumps from the bridge to 1/2 way around Wandsworth Roundabout! Any ideas what's going on?
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    All you've done in the last week is whinge about your curtailed commute. There's absolutely nothing to stop you riding all the way to (say) Blackfriars in the morning and then pootling back to Millbank as a warm-down :lol:

:lol: JG suggested something similar.

It's definitely something I'm considering. Turning off on Millbank is just wrong.

How do you time your segments?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol: JG suggested something similar.

It's definitely something I'm considering. Turning off on Millbank is just wrong.

How do you time your segments?

It does it all for you - you just upload your ride, it checks against segments and puts you in the table.
  • cjcp
    Can you upload it from a HTC?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    cjcp wrote:
    Can you upload it from a HTC?

That an Android phone - if so you need to download the Strava App and hey presto.
  • cjcp
    Cheers
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    Sooooo, ummmmmm, does a segment still count if its outside of rush hour?

Just asking.

For a friend.

Who is fed up of seeing JZed's avatar at the top of all his segments.
  • jzed
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sooooo, ummmmmm, does a segment still count if its outside of rush hour?

Just asking.

For a friend.

Who is fed up of seeing JZed's avatar at the top of all his segments.

I only have a couple of segments. I set up a segment yesterday for the Millbank dash. When I set it up its perfect, correct start and finish, but once loaded it seems to jump up the road and include the roundabout. Need to fix it but not sure how, suppose I'll have to set it an equivalent distance back and hope it advances it once complete.