Rossin Project

jdmotion
jdmotion Posts: 43
edited September 2011 in Your road bikes
Just finished. The idea was to restore the early 80s Rossin frame and add modern, but classic components, making the bike as nice a ride as possible. The contemopraneous rebuild option was way too expensive for me. I was was imagining Mario Rossin being offered a Veloce 10 speed groupset in 1982. He'd've used it wouldn't he? Hopefully a nice mixture of old and new.

IMG_4402-1.jpg

There's more info http://rossinproject.blogspot.com/ Ignore the for sale bit. That's really just to keep Mrs JD happy - I think.[/img]
Getting slower as I get older, but getting faster the more I cycle.

Comments

• wow that's skinny
  • That's an age thing ;)
  • Look great, I love these 90s frames. When you get a chance can you take a pic of the Columbus sticker on the seattube please?

You've gone a step further than most people who do modern campa builds on 80/90s steel bikes - you've gone or the previous generation alu brake levers.

They certainly look right, and the shape, compared to the latest shape, is "prettier", you're limiting yourself to 9 speed or at best 10 speed no? Not that more cogs matter, but the availability of 9 speed parts might dry up soon. For the same reason I just updated my CX bike from nicely spaced out Shimano 8 speed to 9 speed due to the paucity of 8 speed cogs and spacers, which have ceased to be produced for almost 10 years now.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • jdmotion
    jdmotion Posts: 43
    edited September 2011
    The frame's early 80s I believe and it's 10 Veloce groupset.
    Have changed the saddle for a Brooks. I think it suits the look.
    IMG_4402.jpg
    Here's the sticker IMG_4514.jpg
    Here's another one:
    IMG_4413-1.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For the same reason I just updated my CX bike from nicely spaced out Shimano 8 speed to 9 speed due to the paucity of 8 speed cogs and spacers, which have ceased to be produced for almost 10 years now.

I've had no problem at all getting a replacement 7 speed shimano cassette for my Dawes tourer. Supply and demand will probably fall at the same rate so things will always be available though maybe requiring a 5 minute Google search. You should have looked harder.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jdmotion wrote:
    Have changed the saddle for a Brooks. I think it suits the look.

Love the bike - I lusted after one of these in the late 80s having seen them as the Murella team bikes - but the saddle looks utterly wrong to me I'm afraid. A black contemporary race saddle would look so much better.
  • I think you may be right. Were it purely an aesthetic issue it would be fine, but tradition/history plays its part. I originally had a Turbo on the Rossin, although a Rolls might also look nice.
  • I like it a lot...
    Leave the Team Pro saddle as it is... it's pretty and it's a damn good saddle... Turbo and Rolls were the Fizik of the time, hence not particularly good
    left the forum March 2023
  • Proper bike that.

Its good, I ilke it.