Hove cyclist beaten 15 times with hammer for riding too slow

Roobsa
Roobsa Posts: 37
edited September 2011 in Campaign
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9242970. ... ly/?ref=mr

Eurgh, this is really, really sad. Hope the guy is OK. Why are people so intolerant of cyclists?

Comments

• Police spokesman a bit dodgy, over reaction? attempted murder!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    One more reason to wear a helmet. Seriously though, what kind of moron does this? Almost makes me think about hanging up my spd's.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Does this mean that the police spokesman thinks it would have been a more proportional reaction to hit him just a couple of times with a hammer?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Yet another stupid ignorant cop.

Detective Constable Tony Taylor, said "the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, was struggling against the wind preventing the driver from passing".

Errr ..... no. He was riding his bike lawfully on the road with or without helmet which he is entitled to do you frikin muppet.

If it had been me facing this nutter I would have D-locked him before he hit me. An Abus Granit would make him think twice.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    dilemna wrote:

Detective Constable Tony Taylor, said "the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, was struggling against the wind preventing the driver from passing".

Errr ..... no. He was riding his bike lawfully on the road with or without helmet which he is entitled to do you frikin muppet.
    You have completely changed what is in the article to suit your purpose of having an ignorant rant aginst the police officer.

You have put the comments into quotation marks to make it seem as if that was what the police officer had said. If you read the article, it is clear the comments are not in quotation marks, ie they are not a direct quote from the police officer but the journalists interpretaqtion of things said.

So, it may well be the journalist who has imported that the cyclist was preventing the motorist oassing.

Quotation marks are used for a reason and similarily are not used for a reason

If it had been me facing this nutter I would have D-locked him before he hit me. An Abus Granit would make him think twice.

So you are equally as much a thug as the motorist in his case?

Great advert for you and other cyclists threatening to resort to violence.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    spen666 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

You have completely changed what is in the article to suit your purpose of having an ignorant rant aginst the police officer.

You have put the comments into quotation marks to make it seem as if that was what the police officer had said. If you read the article, it is clear the comments are not in quotation marks, ie they are not a direct quote from the police officer but the journalists interpretaqtion of things said.

So, it may well be the journalist who has imported that the cyclist was preventing the motorist oassing.

Quotation marks are used for a reason and similarily are not used for a reason

So you are equally as much a thug as the motorist in his case?

Great advert for you and other cyclists threatening to resort to violence.

You are on form Spen as cantankerous beligerent as you normally are.

If some one came at me with a hammer I wouldn't hesititate to use a D-lock in response. It is called self defence. Now surely even you have come across this legal concept or do you want me to explain :roll: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • nadir
    nadir Posts: 115
    i`ve heard it all now, wear a helmet, it will stop you from being hit 15 times with a hammer! still i guess it makes more sense than some of the other reasons i have heard touted for cycling helmets, my favourite being the study which showed it would prevent leg injuries. i would say dont wear cycling helmets coz they make you a target, drivers assume you are protected and that they can pass as fast and as close to you as they can get. the best study i ever read on the subject said the safest thing to wear when cycling was a blonde wig and a flowery dress, the motorists were measured giving them a very wide berth, put down to motorists assuming the cyclists didnt know what they were doing and might scratch their precious motors. but i guess thats a different subject