Somewhere decent for riding - South of Spain?

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
So i've managed to persuade the family into going away in April next year and I can take the bike too, so i'm looking for advice on where's good to go?

I'm going to book a villa or a house or something like that, hopefully in a nice area. Fingers crossed that the back end of April will be nice and sunny, and a nice temperature.

So, yeh, where's good in southern spain? Closer to the coast the better. Also, any decent websites etc for places to stay? (Self catered villa/apartments etc)

Thanks!

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I lived in/near Fuengirola for 5 years... Right on the coast, just head inland from there, you can't help but hit hills within 20 minutes.
    I did a course (for work) in Torremolinos in Feb, just headed for the hills every day, really is easy, mate.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Riding inland from the Puerto Banus area is great. Well known ride to Ronda is majestic.
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    Before I was into cycling, I went to Nerja.

Some lovely villas etc there and a nice old style feel to the town and plenty for the family. Looking back, the riding looked great and I was always being passed by roadies!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Does it have to be Spain? I go to the Algarve every November (counting the days!) for a week's cycling. Stay about 10 minutes inland from Faro and everything is so cheap! No tourist rates; 3 course lunch in a traditional village restaurant for about €10!!!!

Faro has great stretches of beaches which aren't full of larger lout Brits who go further west along the coast.

The cycling is fantastic with lovely smooth tarmac (paid for by us taxpayers in the rest of Europe) and we did one 100 mile ride and were overtaken by, wait for it, 10 cars all day!!!! It is lovely and hilly (we did 350 miles and 20,000ft of climbing last year), the highest point being Foia at 900m (about 3000') and had a wonderful time. Stay in my mate's villa in Pechao and there are plenty around the area to rent.

PP
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Well, no, it does't! It was just an idea of where to go.

I'll take on board all of the suggestions!

The Algarve sounds good. Southern Portugal, good roads, Sounds sweet.
  • I just had two weeks in Rincon de la Victoria (cost del sol) anything along the coast there is great for flat and hilly riding (turn away from the coast and you find hills by default).
    Cycling is hugely popular and you will always see locals on the road, on there own and in chain gangs. On two occasions I joined with a group of locals....lots of spanglish spoken, but it was fun.
    Plenty of coffee stops along the way etc, weather fantastic and good respect from cars.....totally recomend it.

I also stayed in Puerto Banus for a few days and regret I did not do the Ronda ride....It's supposed to be fantastic (as per BikeBoff states above).

Finally, my mate has also just had a couple of weeks in Nerja......he claims the ride to Granada and back is fantastic (but he is CAT 1), so I'll need to just take his word on that... :D

I'm sure you will have a great time.

For Villas just type in Costa del sol villas and have a look on Google, lots of options and Easy jet fly into Malaga for cheap and looked after my bike no problems.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Does it have to be Spain? I go to the Algarve every November (counting the days!) for a week's cycling. Stay about 10 minutes inland from Faro and everything is so cheap! No tourist rates; 3 course lunch in a traditional village restaurant for about €10!!!!

Faro has great stretches of beaches which aren't full of larger lout Brits who go further west along the coast.

The cycling is fantastic with lovely smooth tarmac (paid for by us taxpayers in the rest of Europe) and we did one 100 mile ride and were overtaken by, wait for it, 10 cars all day!!!! It is lovely and hilly (we did 350 miles and 20,000ft of climbing last year), the highest point being Foia at 900m (about 3000') and had a wonderful time. Stay in my mate's villa in Pechao and there are plenty around the area to rent.

PP

Pete,

Come along to the Western Algarve it's even quieter on the roads and the Monchique mountains are much nearer, I have links to great accomodation here http://burgauvilla.com/
    Some photos from my out of season visits here...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... ed0e427dcb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 08e17e5b70

and Nov training camp here.... http://www.somersetcycling.com/Somerset ... eCamp.html

I shall be there between the 29th Oct and the 12th Nov also there in February for the Tour of the Algarve etc. 8) :lol: