My First TT

elliotlipski
elliotlipski Posts: 71
edited September 2011 in Amateur race
Hello everyone, As the title suggests, I have entered my first ever TT this Sunday. I know it's a stupid time of the season to be doing my first one yada-yada, but i've finally bit the bullet and entered one.

It's a 25er (again, I probably should have started with a ten!). I am as prepared as I can be [i hope] and was just wondering if there are any tips I can use i.e pacing, warm-up, eating&drinking.

Should I take a bottle with me around the course? Or just drink pre-race?

How about nutrition and food during the ride?

I tend to ride as hard as I can for as long as my legs will let me. I do have a HRM but during training rides I rarely get to my HR max (201bpm). Should I try to stick to 180 for the whole ride?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    there'll be varying opinions.

i'd suggest taking a bottle because it's your first one, and it might be nice to have a drink. once you get into it you'll find you simply don't need one for anything less than a 50.

your HR max is higher than 201. start slow in a 25, especially as it's your first one. i tend to ride threshold for the whole thing, around 92-96% of max, but again, this is an experienced thing. take it steady out of the gate, find a rhythm, if you have a bit more to spare at around 15 miles, then step it up. after 20, then floor it. this is a rule of thumb though.

it will be hard, and it will hurt, and you will be unable to clear your nose of snot.
  • peejay78 wrote:

it will be hard, and it will hurt, and you will be unable to clear your nose of snot.

Something to look forward to then!

Thanks for the advice peejay.
  • It will hurt my first 25 was the hardest thing I have ever done I struggled to call my number out as I passed the finish line. Don't go too hard but remember it's a 25 so about an hour of effort

Good luck and enjoy.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • peejay78
    i think with my first time trial i seem to remember going off way to hard and dying all the way back into a ferocious headwind.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    How about nutrition and food during the ride?
    You really shouldn't need any food on a 25 if you've fuelled well the day before. Maybe stick a gel up your short leg just in case.

Everyone has their own way of warming up, but generally you want to warm up for 20-30 mins for a 25, gradually increasing intensity to just below race pace.
  • peejay78
    i have a gel beforehand, usually about 30 minutes.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Forget the bottle, and ride on feel, first mile or two should feel easy, then ramp the pace up.

Its your first, so it'll be a learning curve, don't expect to go out and do a perfect 25, as it all comes with experiance.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    Everyone has their own way of warming up, but generally you want to warm up for 20-30 mins for a 25, gradually increasing intensity to just below race pace.

As far as I am aware the 'HQ' is about 4miles from the start line, and according to the rules, you are not allowed a turbo/rollers in the area. and therefore I will have to incorporate somehow a warmup into the ride to the start...should I just spin my legs on the way or like you said still increase intensity?
  • peejay78
    Ride to the start should do it. Have a few digs on the way, get the heartrate up.
  • prepare to SUFFER. you will never want to do one again :) especially since you havent done a 10!

enjoy it and have fun :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • I've looked at the forecast for your race tomorrow.

You will have a strong tailwind for the first half of the race and also a long hill to go up so take it easy until you get to the top of the (say when you go under the bridge, then lift your speed up to the turn roundabout. You then have a downhill leg into the wind so you should be able to maintain a reasonable speed with just a few miles grind into the wind.

Don't expect a fantastic time as this is a testing rather than a fast course. So just enjoy the experience.

There are still a couple of races in that area this year. Another on that course and a 15mile TT.
  • blackhands wrote:
    I've looked at the forecast for your race tomorrow.

You will have a strong tailwind for the first half of the race and also a long hill to go up so take it easy until you get to the top of the (say when you go under the bridge, then lift your speed up to the turn roundabout. You then have a downhill leg into the wind so you should be able to maintain a reasonable speed with just a few miles grind into the wind.

Don't expect a fantastic time as this is a testing rather than a fast course. So just enjoy the experience.

There are still a couple of races in that area this year. Another on that course and a 15mile TT.

Thanks for the advice blackhands. Just out of interest how did you know what course I am racing (Don't think I mentioned it :? )

I am heading back to university next weekend which is likely to put my training and racing on hold for a while :wink: .. But once i'm settled again, I will look into some. Might even try my hand at some hill climbs...if i enjoy the suffering of the TT !
  • i ride 10mile tt's at 180bpm average with a 199mhr and that is an ordeal, i couldn't imagine riding at 180bpm over 25m, as for the guy riding at up to 96% average that would work out 191bpm for me, thats a no go you will blow up in 3 miles ! :shock:
  • peejay78
    i've had issues with my MHR, the standard age minus doesn't give an accurate figure. i suspect my MHR is around 200bpm, maybe a bit higher.

average for last weekend's 25 was 171bpm, so quite a bit lower than i stated earlier. around 86% of max, so apologies for erroneous data! highest point was about 184bpm.

i do a lot of hillclimbs, so kind of get used to seeing ridiculous readings where i am riding above threshold.

managed the 25 in 52.14.
  • peejay78
    and today's 10 was pretty much exactly the same, 172 average, 182 max.
  • peejay78 wrote:
    and today's 10 was pretty much exactly the same, 172 average, 182 max.

thats more like it :lol::lol:
    surprised no one spotted that error before me

when im on 24 mile chain gang i average 170bpm and thats tough
  • Hello everyone.

So I did it, was quite eventfull to say the least! lots of standing water on the course, and as i was coming round the second ROB taking a u-turn (very gingerly) The back wheel decided to slip out and down I came, loosing a couple of minutes. luckily the bike was ok just a few scratches etc. and the stem a bit wonky. took the other ROB's at a snails pace after that!

When coming to the finish i completely missed the marshals and ended up doing about 2miles extra! got to a village before realising i was a numpty!

Overall I did a 1.00.51 i think, so not under the hour but im happy.

My garmin says my moving time was about 58, so all in all it was a success (kind-of)

Here is my data--

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113447145
  • peejay78
    a very good ride in what sound like pretty hairy conditions.
  • An excellent ride on a very bad day.

Result here:

http://www.rywheelers.org/index.php?opt ... 11:2011-tt
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Good ride - you'll be able to go under the hour comfortably with better conditions / staying upright all the way round / better pacing / better fitness. Very impressive for your first effort.