lake district road routes

Nickelodeon
Nickelodeon Posts: 19
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi
I am looking for road routes for 40 -50 mile ride in the Lake District ideally near Buttermere or surrounding area. Can anyone also recommend a bnb aswell. Many thanks

Comments

• look at the two passes if you fancy a lot of climbing and decents. kirkstone and hard knott pass can be linked via ambleside and keswick and the a66 if im not mistaken.
  • B&B in Keswick - I go to http://www.dalkeithguesthouse.co.uk/ - really nice people, good rooms, superb breakfast, and about £30 a night. They haven't got bike storage as far as I know, but I leave my bike in the car anyway.

Keswick's quite a nice place to start from in many ways, as you can get down to all the passes (Honister, Whinlatter and Newlands are all close by, and Kirkstone, Wrynose and Hardnott within 20 miles or so) and hilly stuff easily enough, but you can also strike out north or east if you fancy something flatter.
  • Thanks for the info I will look into your sggestions, cheers
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    A beautiful ride is from Buttermere along the B5289 up and down Honister Pass, turn left onto a minor road along the west side of Derwent Water, left to Braithwaite and up Whinlatter Pass.
    I did this ride from Maryport going through Broughton one way and Cockermouth the other. It was 55 miles.
  • random man wrote:
    A beautiful ride is from Buttermere along the B5289 up and down Honister Pass,
    Haha, I'm not sure that the word "beautiful" would necessarily be the first one that would come to mind whilst cycling up the Honister pass in that direction....
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    random man wrote:
    A beautiful ride is from Buttermere along the B5289 up and down Honister Pass,
    Haha, I'm not sure that the word "beautiful" would necessarily be the first one that would come to mind whilst cycling up the Honister pass in that direction....

Well it was dry and sunny when I did it :wink:

I've just been on a tour that included the southern Lakes and one road I definitely won't be in a hurry to ride again is The Struggle from Ambleside to Kirkstone. Whoever named that road was a comedian or a master of understatement, it's horrible!
  • I happen to know "Random man" is as tough as they come on a bike.

Big respect for him.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • You can go up kirkstone pass without going up the struggle, the descent to brothers water is fast.
  • two here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12802409

...only for those that don't mind steep hills (20%/25%/30%) - great rides though.