rockhopper upgrades questions

jas_on
jas_on Posts: 10
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all

I have a 2011 rockhopper(base model) and with a birthday coming and christmas on its way starting to think about some upgrades , now the 2012 rockhoppers come with 100 mm forks , mine has an 80mm (sun tour) I'm looking at either a sid or reba if funds are good (both available in 80mm) if i changed to 100mm will i literally be raising the bike 15-20mm ?

also thinking of cranks either xt/slx upgrade will a 10speed cassette fit on my standard hub ?
or would i need to change this as well ?

and also what do you think about upgrades in general , by that i mean is there kinda an equation as in frame 30% components 70%

all advise greatly appreciated.
J

Comments

• re forks - not necessarily. You need to measure the axle to crown length of your current fork and find out the axle to crown length of the new fork

I've been looking at going from my current 100mm Marzocchi Bomber to a 120mm RockShox Reba. If I make that switch I will only be raising the front end by 10mm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    100mm Reba/SID are fine on the Hopper.

The 10 spd cassette will fit on your hub, but you'll also need at least a new rear mech, chain and shifter. Not really worth it.
  • cool

Thanks very much guys

J
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    forks - go for the reba dual air will make a noticable difference, then I would consider better brakes leave everything else until it brakes.

remember drive trains wear out - if you spend £200 on a new drive train expect to be spending half again in a year or so. The basic deore will outlast an XT easy.

The best upgrade the hopper can get is some folding tyres.
  • @ diy - Nice one! folding tyres should be with me this week :D

Trek Session 8
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    edited September 2011
    Hi

I have an 08 Rockhopper to which I've fitted a set of Rebas. Made a massive difference compared to the old dart 3 that was on originally.

Do you still have they standard pedals fitted? Cos they is cack. Get some Wellgo MG1s if you want to stick to flat pedals. You'll have masses more grip and feel way more confident.

I changed the wheels as well... although this hasn't made that much difference TBH. As others have said I'd keep the drivetrain till it's knackered. Mine is still running fine on its original Deore set and works just fine.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • id change the drivetrain to the new deore as i found it a lot better under foot, also worth getting a decent BB as you will find when you remove your old one it WILL be stuck fast to the frame so suggest checking before trying upgrades.

New BB with some decent bearings a must tbh as i find the deore ones wont last very long.

forks ofc are main place but other than that when it wears out.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Hi all

Thanks for all the help

have measured the sun tours at 485mm

2012 reba's measure up at 80=453/100=473/120=493

i think the 80's will drop the front to much (32mm)

100's drop 12mm
    120's raise 8mm (as you were saying felix)

so do you think the 120's would be ok ? seems a jump to go from 80 to 120 .any pro's con's between 100 / 120 ?

macman which do you have ? , and no changed the pedals to nukeproof neutrons, which i really like, but to be fair anything was going to be better than the plastics it came with .

blacksheep what do you recommend bb wise ?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    My mrs' rockhopper came with 120 Rebas, I would say go for the 100 or the 120s The dual air system means that if you find the 120s make everything too slack, then you can up the -ve pressure to suck them down a bit without affecting the performance of the shock too much.

worse case you open up the shock and fit spacers. Depending on the source of 100mm, you will find they cold be all travel with spacers anyway.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I've been looking at going from my current 100mm Marzocchi Bomber to a 120mm RockShox Reba. If I make that switch I will only be raising the front end by 10mm

This I recommend as the difference you will feel in the fork, you will be amazed.

I had bombers and did the swap to Revs, best kit swap ive done by far.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    diy wrote:
    remember drive trains wear out - if you spend £200 on a new drive train expect to be spending half again in a year or so. The basic deore will outlast an XT easy.

The best upgrade the hopper can get is some folding tyres.

Great advise this, wait until your parts are worn and need replacing.
  • Re. Rockhopper fork upgrades;

On the Specialized website it says you can increase fork travel by up to 10% of original (without effecting warranty)

My 2006 came with a 100mm fork which was replaced with a better 100mm fork but I'm going for the Reba 120mm - I even dropped the bars by 10mm yesterday in anticipation

Trek Session 8
  • @ 1mancity2 - sounds good! I figure £315 for a 2012 RLT is not a bad deal.

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    @ Felix, check merlin cycles with vip%
  • just signed up - £283!! sweet. Can't order til week after next so hopefully price will stay the same

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    Even better! :wink:
  • Looks like that price of £283 for the 2012 Reba RLT was an error - it is £315 with VIP discount

Think I'm gonna go for the 2012 Reba RL @ £288 as the only difference I can see is that the RL needs a tool (allen key) to adjust the Floodgate control and the RLT doesn't.

..worth £25?

Trek Session 8
  • No chance.

'T' clearly stands for tuneable then.

When do you ever really touch your floodgate.

Waste of £25
  • Yeah thought so. Coming from a set of '06 Marzocchi Bombers with no external controls at all so it's all new to me.

I don't even know what Floodgate is :oops: - something to do with peddling efficiency??

Right ordering the RL's now

Thanks for the info Chunkers!

Trek Session 8
  • 1mancity2
    Floodgate is lockout threshold, lock them out and adjust the floodgate so when pressure is applied they allow bounce, stops you blowing the lockout (I think)
  • I've upgraded almost everything on my 2008 Rockhopper.

Forks: Reba XX forks at 120mm made a huge difference to the downhill performance.
    Wheels: Stans Arch rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs, made a big difference too - faster acceleration.
    Wider lo-rise handle bars (700mm) helped with stability.
    XT front and rear mech
    Grips: ODI x trainer (love these)

My bike came with an Octalink bb and that has been replaced twice now, so I'm jumping over to an external bb and replacing the crank to a 9spd SLX.

Despite owning a full-susser, I'd never get rid of my Rockhopper. GREAT bike! and it weighs nothing in comparison.
  • Sounds like my kinda bike!

Although I'm having a bit of a love affair with a 2011 Stumpy FSR test bike at the moment I will keep upgrading the hopper and never get rid of it either.

Looking forward to the new forks turning up!!

Trek Session 8