HTC GPS Issues

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited September 2011 in The hub
Morning all

Have an HTC Wildfire that ive had for about a year. Recently the GPS has stopped working for no apparant reason. It seems knows where i am (will show accurate current location and will update location in Google maps), but refuses to work with Navigation, saying it cant find a GPS source.

I have tried both a soft and hard reset, and have cleared the GPS cache using GPS Status, and have scoured the forums etc to see if there is an easy fix, but to no avail

Vodafone have been worse that useless and will only offer to send it away to be looked at whilst i am left with no handset (hence why im trying to fix myself)

Anyone had a similar issue ? how did you fix it ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Have you moved recently? Does this happen everywhere?? Some GPS software is crap compared to others.

I went through a period on my handset (x10 mini pro) where the GPS had a poor signal but it fixed itself
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • DCR00
    I only noticed when i was driving to Llandegla last week

Havent moved recently
  • DCR00 wrote:
    I only noticed when i was driving to Llandegla last week

Havent moved recently

Llanegla? Is that like countryside/mountain's and valleys etc? I'd attribute it to a poor signal then...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I have had the same issue with HTC Desire and there are others on line to support the problem. In a nutshell their GPS receiver is not as good as others (Nokia, BB, iPhone) I sent mine away and they couldn't fix it so gave me a new handset. It now works but is still not as good as my previous Nokia nor my GF's BB. Although the accuracy has improved greatly it is still not the best, I use Endomondo and it failed to track my run through Edinburgh on Tuesday night. Solution, get it fixed by Vodafone, there is on line chat about an upgrade/redesign of the GPS receiver. PS it should have nothing to do with weak signal unless you are in a forest or inside a building. you need to ensure your GPS is swtiched on all the time you want to use it it is in "Quick Settings" in case you did not know. Good luck, being without your smartphone is not as bad as you think... :)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    you might also want to check you have the latest Android on it but the shop should have doen that when you took it in.
  • DCR00
    Redhog14 wrote:
    I have had the same issue with HTC Desire and there are others on line to support the problem. In a nutshell their GPS receiver is not as good as others (Nokia, BB, iPhone) I sent mine away and they couldn't fix it so gave me a new handset. It now works but is still not as good as my previous Nokia nor my GF's BB. Although the accuracy has improved greatly it is still not the best, I use Endomondo and it failed to track my run through Edinburgh on Tuesday night. Solution, get it fixed by Vodafone, there is on line chat about an upgrade/redesign of the GPS receiver. PS it should have nothing to do with weak signal unless you are in a forest or inside a building. you need to ensure your GPS is swtiched on all the time you want to use it it is in "Quick Settings" in case you did not know. Good luck, being without your smartphone is not as bad as you think... :)

good info there, thanks for that

just annoying that it used to work, and now doesn't. Plus it was the only redeeming feature of an otherwise disappointing phone.
  • Have you tried a widget such as GPS Test by Chartcross?
    I use it to turn on/off the GPS on my desire and it gives info on the sat's it can see and the accuracy it will map too.
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • Have you turned off the on board gps reciever relying on a blue tooth external or assisted gps. I have a nokia that supports these types of gps's and if you select a source other than internal or internal + assisted it will not work without a bluetooth module
    You just gotta peddle