Cycle-Ops Joule 2 or Garmin Edge 500

moonshine
moonshine Posts: 1,021
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
I've asked this question on TTF as well.... are there any thoughts here?
I'm on the lookout for an ANT+ powertap compatible headunit. probably a Joule 2 or a Garmin Edge 500.

thoughts or opinions? Recommendations and experiences..

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you want GPS?

Bear in mind that the Edge 500 is supposed to be getting NP, TSS, etc. in a future firmware update.
    More problems but still living....
  • moonshine
    Not over fussed with gps.... I seem to manage with a HRM and my cateye Strada cadence at the moment just fine.
    However I did think the notion of the virtual pacing partner might be helpful for TTs as it would let me know if I was on or behind target times, however I guess the powertap pacing would take over on that front anyway
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Is the Joule any good as a regular bike computer without using a power meter?

I'd forget about the virtual partner on the Garmin - not really a sensible way to pace a TT.
    More problems but still living....
  • moonshine
    amaferanga wrote:
    Is the Joule any good as a regular bike computer without using a power meter?....
    Don't know - Probably not - but ive no experience of either, hence the question...
    amaferanga wrote:
    I'd forget about the virtual partner on the Garmin - not really a sensible way to pace a TT.
    You are probably right... but it was just a notion....that using the virtual pacer would give me early splits on where i was against a course PBs...., but as i said, the powertap info would superceed this anyway, as what is more important is puting out optimum power, irrespective of course weather conditions which would affect the course speed on any given day.
  • moonshine
    Plumped for a new Garmin edge 500.... time will tell.
  • i have an edge 500 and it works great with the powertap
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Doesn't the 500 only do 'smart recording'? Not good with a powertap. Or maybe I dreamt it :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • moonshine
    a_n_t wrote:
    Doesn't the 500 only do 'smart recording'? Not good with a powertap. Or maybe I dreamt it :)
    "smart recording" (i.e. Filling in gaps with interpreted data) is an option, however You can disable it.
    Agree not clever when recording power.
  • moonshine
    Garmin have released a new firmware for Edge 800 which has added Normalized Power (NP), Intensity Factor (IF), and Training Stress Score (TSS) data metrics.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=5237

DCRainmaker indicated this would precede the firmware upgrade for the 500 to include these metrics :D