Question for 5:10 flat pedal shoe owners

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
I use skate shoes to ride in and find that they are great and grippy but it isn't long before the spikes in my nano techs shred the soles.

What is the life span for the soles of the 5:10's (or any other specific MTB shoe for that matter)

They claim they have a super grippy soft sole but how can that make them less resistant to the soles being torn up by the pedals?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a lot longer than skate shoes.

they dont get cut the rubber just moves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I've Had my 5:10 Karver for about 15months now, no rips loads of grip left, only place they are looking a little worn is the mesh around the ankle support.

I ride around 12hrs a week.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • My 5:10s lasted about 10 months before they fell to bits.
    Not bad considering the amount of abuse they took. I had more issues with water, mud and water resistance on the uppers than I did with grip.

My AM40s are standing up to everything I have thrown at them so far (and I'm already over 7 months in).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    Mine are over a year old and holding up well from being used on average a couple of times a week.

The sole still seems fine and seems to have lasted better than my Vans.

The sole is stiffer too which I find to be an improvement.

They are a bit 'clumpy' if the truth be told but I wouldn't wear them for anything other than biking.
    Shot by both sides...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    AM41s... 9 months of use, and only cosmetic damage to the uppers so far... the soles are fine. They are comfortable, grippy and good in the wet - and with Sealskins socks they saw me through the wet and cold of last winter.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I use AM40's on superstar nano's, have done for about 8 months now. There is some wear on the soles but nothing to worry about, no tears etc.
    Previously used to use skate shoes and they fell apart rapidly. Proper MTB shoes are stiffer for riding, but still comfortable off the bike.
    Considered 5.10's when I bought my AM40's but they were more than twice the price!
    Spesh Pitch comp 2009

Whyte 905 2011

Trek Madone 2.1 2013
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm still a 5:10 virgin, but skate shoe sole lifetime can vary hugely between brands.
    I had some nasty airwalks, and they were destroyed utterly in one ride, whereas I have one pair of Vans that are now getting on for 5 years old, and are still fine, if a bit smelly :lol:
  • j4mesj4mes
    j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
    I think its classed as sacrilege to class Airwalks as skate shoes!
    My Etnies sole was torn to pieces but my vans didnt wear out.

Just got some 5:10s so see how they go!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, I was desperate for some new shoes - my old ones had worn right through the sole, and I had a date that night. The only shop open was Sports Direct, and they only had Airwalks, or insane chav trainers. So, airwalks it was.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Life span will depend on usage obviously but mine are over 18 months old and still going strong.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I need some new shoes for flats, i'm using some vans that i've had for ages, but the soles are totally trashed now and my feet keep coming off, so I'm looking at some 5:10 freeriders as they look pretty nice (i'd actually wear them off the bike) and get good reviews. I have a bit of an aversion to those shimano AM41's, mainly because they're ugly as hell (IMO), and 5:10 freeriders are only about £20 more. I'm looking at the impact as well, though I think they may be a little too grippy, i like to shuffle my feet around on the pedals a little sometimes. Reckon I'll go shopping for some decent shoes some time next week.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • my marzocchi bomber shoes (with 5:10 soles) have lasted me over 3 years. im not joking, they just will not die! thats serious value for money, nothing else would have lasted me this long.
  • Shouldn't underestimate the help that a proper stiff sole with have on your riding either.
    I can get the power down so much quicker using my AM40s, than I ever could in DCs or Vans.
    I run pedals with huge pins; on long rides in Vans, my sole started getting sore. It doesn't happen with bike specific flat shoes.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Had my 5:10 freeriders for what must be getting on for 2 years now and they're still going strong. There are a few minor shred marks on the sole but I do mean minor and they'll still be fine for another 2 years I reckon.

The stiffness and grippiness of the sole cannot be overstated enough; they are bloody brilliant!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    just finished off a well worn pair of Element trainers but gone through DC's etnies vans duffs
    only problem i've ever had was slippin off int' wet, just awaiting my am41's to see for myself the difference in performance
  • Had my 5:10s for getting on for 3 1/2 years now and they are still like new (if shoes were sold with mud pre attached, and were a bit whiffy) bar a couple of little marks on the sole. Awesome Shoe
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Got these

6e3a7350.jpg

Vans Gravel flat pedal shoes. They have Trax soles and work great with my Nanos.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    cheers for the replys guys, very helpful. Think i'll grab some AM41s while they are on the cheap at CRC :wink:
  • tom_fun wrote:
    cheers for the replys guys, very helpful. Think i'll grab some AM41s while they are on the cheap at CRC :wink:

I've done the very same thing not two minutes previous 8)
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    AM41's arrived didnt want to put my smelly commuting shoes in my rucksack so only had a few laps round the block in the shimanos 8)
    oooo my word, i was stuck to the mongoose flats, it was ridiculously easy to get the power down and not worry about a slip >_< what have eye been doing in skate shoes all this time :oops:
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Thinking of going with either 5:10 freeriders or the AM41's

Has anyone had both? and which do you prefer?