Which tag along

pinkertigs
pinkertigs Posts: 31
edited September 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
My son has developed from a weeride and now at 3 years old is whizzing round BMX tracks with the odd shove here and there on his brilliant Islabike CNOC 14. However, I want to be able to ride with him now he can start on his own. However, he can go quiet a way until he gets tired so I need a way to get back home once we've gone along the coastal paths etc.

I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR so I'm not sure if a full susser can take a gator style tow bar and what other options there might be out there.

Thanks if you reply

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    The best tagalong is his brilliant Islabike CNOC 14.

Attached to one of these. (as you mention)
    pinkertigs wrote:
    I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR so I'm not sure if a full susser can take a gator style tow bar and what other options there might be out there.
    And get rear lockout on your beast. :lol: (C'mon, you know you wanna!)

4297019832_a48f7ec61f.jpg
    Pic is attached to a 12" which I reckon is a little extreme, but others say it works fine. I have ours attached to an 18" (we don't get Islabikes in Australia) and I'll attach her 20" to it when she moves up .

This way, he can have the best bike suited to him, and you have the option of using it as a tagalong. You can also mix up the transport options... ride connected to the destination... ride around solo for a while... ride back connected. Or... ride out solo (until starting to tire), then ride back connected.

You will, however, get plenty of negative reports about them. They do take some fiddling to attached, and need to be torqued up tight - they may scuff the headtube because of this. Also, due to the way the headtube, downtube and top tubes meet up, there are some bikes where you just can't use them. :(
    4042501714_724417447f.jpg

For us, it's been brilliant. For others of our friends who have followed our lead, the same. However, it appears, not for all.
    5849978037_25c302eedb.jpg
    (That's after doing a lap of the CX track, mud and all - well, apart from the hurdles).

[/img]
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Thanks that's just what I was looking for I'll never waste money on a tag-a-long not when I've got a bike for the nipper, many thanks
  • We use a couple of these, they work really well on the rough stuff,

DSC_0030.jpg
    Road and Mtb, love them.