Road Shoes a MUST!!!!

blue07794
blue07794 Posts: 47
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
I bought a Trek 1.2 road bike 6 weeks ago and have never looked back since and absolutely love it. Money has been tight since buying the bike and my next investment is going to be some SPD pedals and shoes, even more so after this mornings ride.
I never thought how dangerous trainers (with laces) really are until mine got caught round my chain and luckily after a little pressure they snapped otherwise i could have ended up in the edge bottom!!!
So i am now desperately on the hunt for cheap SPD pedals and shoes, the flush type as used on some mountain bike shoes so i can actually walk on them and not break my neck!

But anyone out there that uses trainers with laces just be aware!!!!!!

Comments

• I bought SPD shoes with laces :oops:
  • Just be careful mate thats all im saying :lol:
  • Similar thing happened to me once, had been fettling with my gears so thought i'd just hop on and ride up the street trainers on top of my SPD-SL pedals, laces caught in chain and chainring pulled my foot off the pedal as it went round, and as I was out the saddle I took a hit... where no hits should be taken.

You can pick up pretty cheap pedals and shoes on wiggle. Cheap doesn't mean bad either!
    DHB do some for 40quid I think, and then some for 80 with a carbon sole!
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • When I wore laceup trainers to cycle in, my laces would forever get wound tightly round the axle between the pedal and the crank - you can't pedal and then it becomes a race to backpedal fast enough to get yourself free before the bike stops and you fall off.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I still ride in trainers - "proper" shoes are going to be my reward for losing the weight I need to lose - and I just tuck the ends and loops in under the criss-crosses. There's no danger of them catching then. (The only danger is doing the same thing without thinking when I put on my trainers to go for a run, and only realising when I get home why people have been giving my feet such funny looks.)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Double double knotting long laces will also work.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    cougie wrote:

I learnt this when I was 5, did nt everyone else?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    cougie wrote:

:lol: Don't be silly - the most expensive and convoluted solution is always the best
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    cougie wrote:

Yep! Been off on the hybrid, learned my lesson.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I found a road shoe/pedal combo (albeit separately) for 80 quid posted. Look Keo replica I think is fair to say for 30 or so and some decent looking diadora shoes for 40ish. both plus postage.

As for the flush tpe, you can get cleat covers or you will have to get mtb shoes i think.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • FWIW, I have a road bike and use Shimano M520 pedals (double-sided) and Shimano MO86 shoes (look like road shoes but can walk normally in them). Not sure if the shoes still sold but certainly similar for same price. £20-odd for pedals and £50-ish for shoes. Got them from chainreactioncycles.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Just look at this. Helps with every kind of shoe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I still use regular trainers. I tie the laces to the left on my left-foot, and the right on my right-foot, rather than the centre. Keeps any knots well away from cranks and whatnot.
  • as above i use cheap shimano m520 pedals £15 off ebay and shimano m077 shoes nearlyindentical to the road version but ridges on side enabling you to walk in them , think they where about £55 off ebay.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • tarbot18 wrote:
    as above i use cheap shimano m520 pedals £15 off ebay and shimano m077 shoes nearlyindentical to the road version but ridges on side enabling you to walk in them , think they where about £55 off ebay.

likewise with m520s but i just got the shimano mt22 shoes in the edinburgh bicycle coop sale
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    I had a similar problem but slightly worse.

I just started my 1st mid life crisis after buying a trials bike. Went down the back street pulling a few bunny hops, track stands and wheelies. When my jean bottoms got caught in the chain ring. The bstd wouldn't come loose.

The more i struggled to pull it out the tighter the chain ring grabbed my jeans.

I realised that i needed to take my pants off to yank them clear of the crank. But as i had decided to go commando this was difficult being 200m from my house.

I had to baby step up the street dragging this BMX thing stuck to my jeans. Where is safely dispatched the jeans and sorted it. (The jeans were ruined)

Luckily this moment was not caught on camera but still a tad embarrassing. I'm now wiser and in to my second mid life crisis at the age of 38.

Btw i have a trials bike and a pair of jeans going cheap. Some minor skid marks are visible

Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    pd a600s look cool and the rt81 shoes go with them nicely.
  • they really come in handy when it starts raining, flat pedals and rain do not go well