Sky Ride London - Sunday 4th. Post Ride Beers in Morpeth

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone going? Morpeth beer after anyone?

Edit: Thread Title.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• I assume you mean on Sept 4th... yes I'm going, but Morpeth a bit out of my way. Given there was already an SCR meet down that way how about somewhere more central?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The last was at the Roebuck, Morpeth is Westminster
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • oh... got that wrong, thought it was down Richmond way.... in that case....:)

this? http://www.youngs.co.uk/pub-detail.asp?PubID=428
  • dhope
    I think I know that place, yes
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Fantastic, a purpose instead of riding around aimlessly :D

Will have to "navigate" over with the g/f & kids & "just stop" for a light refreshment.... ;)
  • sketchley
    Good we have a plan. Sky ride finishes at 12 noon, exactly the same time the Morpeth opens. See you there.....
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    What time does sky ride start, where does it start from. Am registered with the missus but the map seems to be one continuous look open from 9am to 5pm. Do you just ride up, join the loop and do what you want?
  • sketchley
    Yes I got that wrong I thought I read it Finished at 12pm. My plan is to be there in the morning, do a couple of "laps" see the stalls etc, head for Morpeth around 12 before route gets really busy.

http://www.goskyride.com/london click on route.

"The circular route of the capital will bring cyclists closer to the London Eye than ever before, running across Westminster Bridge, before looping back up past Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, up the Mall, out onto Trafalgar Square, down through Whitehall and out onto the river views of The Embankment. The route also passes St James’s Park, Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London and London Bridge.

The route will be traffic-free from 9.30am to 4.30pm, allowing participants to take part in the ride at their own pace and enjoy some of the exciting entertainment en route. Last year the Mayor of London’s Sky Ride saw over 85,000 people dust down their bicycles and take to the streets to enjoy a day of brilliant bike-based entertainment.

If you've taken part before, you’ll know it’s an extremely popular day and the route does get busy. We'll do all we can to avoid any congestion but please bear in mind the busiest times are between 12 noon and 3.00pm. So come early to beat the crowds!"
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    and in FAQ section

Do I have to cycle the full route without stopping?

No, there will be various rest, refreshment, toilet and first aid points along the way. You can join and leave the route at any point.
    --
    Chris

• jzed
    Ah so I can get a lie in. Afraid won't make the Morpeth - half way through a course of antibiotics.
  • Steveaps
    Steveaps Posts: 36
    is anybody doing the guided ride abbey wood to tower hill and then the sky ride and then back again to abbey wood
    Steveaps
  • I would have enjoyed to have done the London Skyride, but some inspiration for effective birth control has just backed a volvo into my beloved rockhopper whilst I was at the gym last night!!! yes it was securely locked to a bike rack too!!!

GRRR! :twisted:

Totally fuggered the back wheel and may have also fuggered the rear frame.

Thankfully said bimbling eejit has left some contact details so He'l be getting the bill. yes it was for a medical emergency at the gym (his daughter had feinted in the pool) but this still doesn't allow for his inability to park said Main Battle Tank outside the front doors of said establishment!!!

Sorry i wont be tehre guys

Regards

Paul B
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Steveaps
    Steveaps Posts: 36
    heres my ride for the sky rid[/img]
    Steveaps
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I was trying to get the family alongfor the ride, but Morpeth would have been tricky with the kids. Unfortunately can't do it as I have other family related stuff to attend to.
  • dhope
    Moving house on the Sat, no doubt will still be doing that on Sun. Likely out
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • JZed wrote:
    Ah so I can get a lie in. Afraid won't make the Morpeth - half way through a course of antibiotics.

Pretty sure the only one you can't drink with is Metrinidazol. 'Iffy spelling'. I'll check that with wifey though.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • jzed
    JZed wrote:

Pretty sure the only one you can't drink with is Metrinidazol. 'Iffy spelling'. I'll check that with wifey though.

Ok seems like I may be there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nice of FGW & SWT to lay on plenty of engineering work that weekend AGAIN!

Still am I bothered ...? Nope we have tickets for the Dorset steam fair. Mmmm tractor pulling, steam engines and lots of beer/cider drinking.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I might be able to come along, is there a meetup point then for SCR people??
  • sketchley
    Paul E wrote:
    I might be able to come along, is there a meetup point then for SCR people??

Apart from the Morpeth about 12 not yet. Care to suggest somewhere and a time?
    --
    Chris

• Paul E
    Looking at the route I would say tower hill but not having done one of these before not sure if the crowds around there would make finding everyone a nightmare.
  • Well if i do my usual Sunday ride then drop into town I'll be in the vicinity of Westminster for about 1ish +/- 15min or so... so could have a swift pint before a couple of circuits of the skyride... or afterwards (reckon a circuit is about 45+min), say about 2:30 - 3ish

what do others think, or are the logistics going to be problematic?
  • sketchley
    I'll be in the pub from about 12. Not sure about the rest yet.
    --
    Chris

• OK, I will see how the time fares and take a view when i get nearer the location... do you normally drink inside and leave bikes outside (where?)...or drink outside with bikes?
  • sketchley
    Outside with bikes, railings to lock bikes up.
    --
    Chris

• Paul E
    Do I need to bring along a lock then, I wasn't going to, as I said in another thread shout if you see me, red and white sworks helmet and red and white craft jersey on this

6100045765_40330a3aaa_m.jpg

hope to be there at or just before 12

Paul
  • sketchley
    No need to bring a lock, unless first one there and want to lock bike while buying beer.
    --
    Chris

• Paul E
    I will just in case then although I will try and pace myself
  • better bring a brolley too, weather forecast isnt so promising - 80% chance of 3h 30min of rain starting 10-11am with thunderstorms

I like thunderstorms :)

It's only water, Dorothy... :)
  • Paul E
    I'm not going to make it anyway, woke up with a stinking cold, I thought I was getting a sore throat yesterday and now the motherload has hit, buggeration :(