edited June 2019 in Pro race

Comments

• Simoni
    fs044.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Blimey, that's a fairly steep hill!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    this is the stage that most people have been looking at as Wiggins achilles heel, even before race started. will he cope with the gradients? can he ride by numbers on his threshold like the 3 other MTF's?
  • camerone wrote:
    this is the stage that most people have been looking at as Wiggins achilles heel, even before race started. will he cope with the gradients? can he ride by numbers on his threshold like the 3 other MTF's?

To be fair, there isn't a rider in the GC that isn't going to be worried about today, any of them could drop time if their legs aren't right. Most of the GC riders tipped to do damage today didn't look all that strong yesterday.. But yes, a mountain for the natural climbers. Hope Skys can control it like they did yesterday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,680
    Looks like an evil climb today!!!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    do people expect a mini neutralisation at the bottom while everyone gets onto bikes with lower gearing? if wiggins can get onto a bike with small enough gearing could he be able to ride somethng like how he would want to?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Nope, I expect they'll arrive at the bottom à bloc.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I recall some riders utilising triples when confronted with the Angrilu in the past. I expect some guys will be using compacts today. It is brutal.

That percentage graphic that the Vuelta show is good too, something other races could adopt maybe.
  • camerone
    Wiggins runs rotor rings if I recall correctly in the giro David Millar had to use an 11-36 cassette as smallest ring is 42. Expect to see xtr rear mech on wiggins bike.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    camerone wrote:
    Wiggins runs rotor rings if I recall correctly in the giro David Millar had to use an 11-36 cassette as smallest ring is 42. Expect to see xtr rear mech on wiggins bike.

On a Di2 bike? Don't think he will.

All the GC will be dreading today. As long as Wiggo and Froome can maintain a high cadence that will keep others from launching attacks.
  • camerone
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    camerone wrote:

On a Di2 bike? Don't think he will.

All the GC will be dreading today. As long as Wiggo and Froome can maintain a high cadence that will keep others from launching attacks.

May just use mechanical?
  • camerone
    He is apparently using 38x32.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Don't know if a team mate is of much use on the final climb today. The ridiculous gradient makes for a different kind of climb. I'm still unconvinced they make for good racing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    iainf72 wrote:
    Don't know if a team mate is of much use on the final climb today. The ridiculous gradient makes for a different kind of climb. I'm still unconvinced they make for good racing.
    I tend to agree with you regarding whether they make for good racing. I recall Kellogs tours taking in Winnats pass and it doesn't feel quite right as a spectacle.
    Conversely, it is a bike race and it is necessary that bike races take in all sorts of terrain to remain both relevant and interesting. I suppose stupidly steep climbs are every bit as relevant as cobbles and downhill finishes.
  • Think about it this way: it's a 10% TT.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Group of 3 about to hit the first serious climb of the day a CAT 2 - - Champion, Talansky and Geschke - have a lead of 6 mins over the peleton which includes all the favourites, an Andulcian rider trying to bridge the gap.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Wiggo right at the back of the peloton......cant see many Sky around him either?
  • ITV 4 commentary must be going down a storm around here.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ooh. A flamingo.

What happens if Froome has better legs than Wiggo today?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ITV 4 commentary must be going down a storm around here.

Switching windows between cycling and forum is a PITA.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    duel screens baby! \o/
  • ITV 4 commentary must be going down a storm around here.

I'm just riveted to my seat with excitement!
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    afx237vi wrote:
    ITV 4 commentary must be going down a storm around here.

Switching windows between cycling and forum is a PITA.

Lap top for the race, smartphone for the forum. Easy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • this is coming back together pretty quickly now
  • Now this Aussie guy sounds better. he just needs a decent partner and you could have a decent commentary team. I like the stuff he's saying. Who is he?
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    afx237vi wrote:
    That's the big question. And if not for today definitely for Pena Cabarga on Wednesday.

Fuglsang said this morning in an interview that the big favorite for him now to win the Vuelta was Froome
  • FJS wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    That's the big question. And if not for today definitely for Pena Cabarga on Wednesday.

Fuglsang said this morning in an interview that the big favorite for him now to win the Vuelta was Froome

The ITV4 pundit was speculating that if Wiggins broke down, or was really suffering around the 3km mark, Froome would go on alone, simply because it's so steep that you could lose minutes over the closing 3km.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Now this Aussie guy sounds better. he just needs a decent partner and you could have a decent commentary team. I like the stuff he's saying. Who is he?

Matt Keenan
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Now this Aussie guy sounds better. he just needs a decent partner and you could have a decent commentary team. I like the stuff he's saying. Who is he?

Seriously !!!

And he says Leee O pard
  • Cheers Rich

Compared to what I was just listening to Mr Poll he sounds lie a cycling commentary god.

He's a bit monotone but the content is quite good.