Whats That Noise VERSION 2

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
My previous thread described a clicking noise, once per revolution, at the bottom of each pedal stroke mainly when climbing or pushing a big gear. I have greased the pedal threads and there was no change, unfortunately i lack the correct tools to detach the crank arm. However as of yesterday, the noise has increased to more than once per revolution, and is now just whenever in a bigger gear, pushing slightly harder, i do not even need to be climbing or standing, it is like a metal clinking noise, not a grindind or a scraping, just a clink, and the sound, although on occasion it does appear to be coming from the crank arm, it now sounds to be coming from the front gears!?!? I don't know, im confused, the bloody thing is driving me crazy :twisted: its a near enough new bike for christ's sake, it appears nothing ever goes smoothly in my world of cycling, always some niggle that needs sorting out!

So, any suggestions!

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I had a similar and well documented episode on here (I think it went to 9 pages at the last count!!).

Anyway, despite it sounding 100% like it was coming from the BB / crank area, it was EVENTUALLY proved to be the rear freehub, and it sounded exactly like you describe yours.

LBS couldn't diagnose it correctly despite something like 6 trips to them with it - send a video to Specialized directly and they recognised the problem - sent me new wheels - noise gone & have had "silent riding" since.

PS my bike was new too
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Different to Secteur I had a similar experience around 18 months ago. It also co-incided with the gears jumping when under heavy load such as climbing. It turned out to be a hairline crack in one chain link. Changed the link and it has been fine ever since.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Start with the simplest cheapest options then work your way up to the more expensive options like replacing parts.

First of all I would take the bottom bracket out of the frame, turn the spindle by hand. It should turn smoothly with no roughness in the bearings.

Refit the bottom bracket, wrapping the threads in PFTE tape before you do. That has solved creaks and clicks on two of my bikes.

You may want to put some grease on the spindle before refitting the cranks, but I don't bother.

If that doesn't help then look into the other suggestions about hub problems.
  • Secteur
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Start with the simplest cheapest options then work your way up to the more expensive options like replacing parts.

First of all I would take the bottom bracket out of the frame, turn the spindle by hand. It should turn smoothly with no roughness in the bearings.

Refit the bottom bracket, wrapping the threads in PFTE tape before you do. That has solved creaks and clicks on two of my bikes.

You may want to put some grease on the spindle before refitting the cranks, but I don't bother.

If that doesn't help then look into the other suggestions about hub problems.

100% agree, but the OP said he didn't have the tools to remove the crank arms. He's probably not able to remove the BB and re-fit it.
  • Secteur
    PS the one thing I learned is that bike noises can be caused by anything, and are often heard far away from the site of the problem due to echoing down along the tubes.

These threads seem to throw up multiple solutions, and the actual solution is often something entirely different.

If it's troublesome enough, and it's new, just take it to the LBS if you're not a mechanical expert. I can do most stuff myself, but I have yet to figure out how to get the cranks off.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Every time mine has done it I have found it to be the crank, remove and re grease and tighten all sorted. If you don't have the tools and the bikes new take it back not an option?
    If you need any tools I have a varied selection but depends what make crank you have.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Obviously hard to compare over the internet, but I had a metallic clinking noise which would occur twice per crank revolution, just as I was driving downwards with each foot. Changed the bottom bracket and it was fine. I got a bottom bracket tool and crank puller set off eBay for about £10 IIRC.
  • LeicesterLad
    I must mention, when off the bike, i can turn it upside down spin the pedals have it upright spin the pedals, pull and push on the peddles, but weight on the bike and spin the pedals, tug at the cranks and nothing will replicate this noise! only occurs when on the bike, which wouldn suggest its something pressure related...
  • LeicesterLad
    Right i give up, its excruciating. I have mild OCD so at this rate the bike is going to end up in a skip, i cannot pinpoint the noise because it only happens when im on it and the pedles are turning, sounds more like it coming from the front mech...i dunno, ill take it to the LBS and let him look at me gone out when i cannot replicate the noise and he says 'its fine'. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Secteur
    This is EXACTLY what happened to me - the LBS actually convinced me that I was imagining it (and got a fair bit of stick on here, until I posted a video proving the noise!!). As I said, it was the rear free hub - just try a new wheel and see...
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    You need to try removing then grease and refit crank arm....it will fix it I'm 90% sure it will be that. Has happened on both my road bikes.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    could be all manner of things, have had this caused by seat rails and chainring bolts. Go to LBS, ride bike to demonstrate (provided you can hear it off bike), have him repeat exercise to understand problem and let them fix it, bikes should be quiet.
    FCN 12
  • Secteur
    Any update?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    gilesjuk wrote:

quote]

Agree 100% with this, PTFE tape is underrated as a thread lubricant. I have also solved annoying creaks by using this.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"