Bomp jr. wants...

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited September 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
...one of these:
00012424.jpg
It looks like it might cover all the bases: cool jump bike (Bomp jr's sole criterion) with gears so he can actually get about on it (boring old dad's requirement).
Jr is 13 but quite small for his age: the bike is on the Edinburgh bike site as a kids' bike but has 26" wheels... and no other size or weight info at all.
Anyone know anything about this bike in particular, or failing that jump style bikes as general purpose rides for xc mtb / family outing / commuting (paper round involving 30 minute xc ride)?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing bad about it.

points to note the RH brake/shift assy is one unit. (any brake upgrade may need a gear shifter at the same time).

the 42 front ring may be a bit big ( I would look at getting a 36T or 38T instead ( or at least checking the guide will take a smaller cog. Mech front disc good as they are easy to fix
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Cheers Nick, I had noticed the ratios - I thought I might actually go for smaller front or bigger rear (11-34 easy to get these days).
    42/34 isn't so different from the bottom ratio on my road bike - 39" vs 34". He's a strong lad but...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most MTBs that have changed a tripple to a double and bash often keep the 32 as the big. some go up to 38 as a max.

and the new 10spds have a 36 on the cassette and a 42 as a max big ring with say a 28 small.

with that set up he WILL not be having fun on the family trips.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown