How 'live' is the athletics on C4?

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Ignoring the crappy studio links (except Michael Johnson) is it really 'live'. Was watching Jessica Ennis, they said she was still on the track and showed that. Cut straight to her being interviewed well off-track. So... is it really 'live', what with the interminable ad interruptions?
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• some of it's live, other bits not. Some events clash so they show some recorded. It's the same with all big athletics events (Olympics, Commonwealths), not limited to C4
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    I am sure JIM453 could give you a definitive answer. I know he loves the CH4 coverage.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    All "live" coverage of anything on TV has some delay. This is so they don't inadvertantly show anything they aren't allowed. i.e. naked people, gruesome deaths, etc.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    some of it's live, other bits not. Some events clash so they show some recorded. It's the same with all big athletics events (Olympics, Commonwealths), not limited to C4

Eurosport have very little in the way of interviews / inane pundits, so most of what they show is actually live, including the field events, which always get ignored on the main channels.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    some of it's live, other bits not. Some events clash so they show some recorded. It's the same with all big athletics events (Olympics, Commonwealths), not limited to C4

Eurosport have very little in the way of interviews / inane pundits, so most of what they show is actually live, including the field events, which always get ignored on the main channels.

Did you see the women's shot put? :shock: I wish I hadn't
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    afx237vi wrote:

Not the most elegant of sports
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    afx237vi wrote:

Not the most elegant of sports
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    afx237vi wrote:

They were women??
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    i am slightly dyslexic and , was wondering also , how athletes live on C4 , as in are plastic explosives i new kind of performance enhancing drug when eaten and not detonated .

kegdiyq3gdknqlfhikqh TIM
    Britannia waives the rules
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    As already said some of its live & some recorded which is what you'd expect with athletics with lots of events going on at the same time. Plus need to think that its coming from South Korea so a lot shown as recored but from earlier to take account of the time difference.

As for Eurosport they do simply tend to show it as it comes in from the host broadcaster where they purchase the TV coverage from so your stuck with the order & delays they are given.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Athletics definately not 'live'... just saw Chris Tomlinson (long jumper) walking past Christian Malcolm in the interview zone. Cuts back to the long jump and guess who is suddenly in two places at once? Chris Tomlinson... Why don't they just say it's a 'highlights' programme?
    exercise.png
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Today is the Women's High Jump finals and babelicious superstar Blanka Vlasic is in the lead. If she wins, she treats the crowd to a groovy dance set so keep your eyes peeled.
  • garrynolan wrote:
    Athletics definitely not 'live'... just saw Chris Tomlinson (long jumper) walking past Christian Malcolm in the interview zone. Cuts back to the long jump and guess who is suddenly in two places at once? Chris Tomlinson... Why don't they just say it's a 'highlights' programme?

because it's not highlights. Alot of it IS live.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Today is the Women's High Jump finals and babelicious superstar Blanka Vlasic is in the lead. If she wins, she treats the crowd to a groovy dance set so keep your eyes peeled.

yeah, I like her, she's nuts. I'm also quite keen on the women's pole vault, Isanbeyeva (sp?) :shock:
  • garrynolan wrote:
    Athletics definitely not 'live'... just saw Chris Tomlinson (long jumper) walking past Christian Malcolm in the interview zone. Cuts back to the long jump and guess who is suddenly in two places at once? Chris Tomlinson... Why don't they just say it's a 'highlights' programme?

So I guess coverage of The Open golf should be called a "highlights" programme because many of the shots you see aren't live?
  • McBoom wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

So I guess coverage of The Open golf should be called a "highlights" programme because many of the shots you see aren't live?

Yep - it's live or it's not. Though to be fair you hear a lot of '...and now back live to...' on the Beeb. Channel 4 give the impression it's all live - no 'a few minutes ago' or 'back live' etc.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    McBoom wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

People watch golf on TV?

Christ.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    MichaelW wrote:

yeah, I like her, she's nuts. I'm also quite keen on the women's pole vault, Isanbeyeva (sp?) :shock:

It seems to be a requirement that female pole vaulters are good looking. I suspect that is the real reason they banned Janine Whitlock!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I was watching the the women's 800m semi finals on Eurosport and listening to
    the commentary on 5live. The tv pictures seemed to be about 10 seconds behind
    the radio commentary. I've noticed a similar occurrence when watching live footy
    on tv whilst listening to the commentary on the radio.
  • Most live TV isn't really live. Ever wondered how they've managed to bleep out swear words on live TV?
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    cant understand why they insist on wheeling out michael johnson

Are they no english athletes available

Plus he obviously doesnt want to be there- the presenter insists on shaking his hand and johnson looks like he offered him his ...well...johnson!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    This is my perv list for events with attractive women,

400meters/hurdles,
    800meters,
    1500meters,
    Long/triple jump,
    High jump,
    pole vault,
    occasional heptathlete.

If you find yourself attracted to women in other events, you need help! :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    carrock wrote:

Plus he obviously doesnt want to be there- the presenter insists on shaking his hand and johnson looks like he offered him his ...well...johnson!!

Because he's the only decent thing about channel 4's coverage. I do feel slightly embarrassed when they ask him what he thinks about some of our lesser athletes and he tries to be positive but you know he really thinks they're just crap and shouldn't bother. The man's a legend, could listen to him all day.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • jim453
    carrock wrote:

You can't understand why C4 would want to enlist the analysis of one of the worlds greatest ever athletes?

Turn on radio 5 and listen to Darren Campbell for forty five seconds. You'll see why.

Sad thing is, we may not see MJ back on British TV due to the embarrassing mess C4 have made of their coverage of the World Championships.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    jim453 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

You can't understand why C4 would want to enlist the analysis of one of the worlds greatest ever athletes?

Turn on radio 5 and listen to Darren Campbell for forty five seconds. You'll see why.

Sad thing is, we may not see MJ back on British TV due to the embarrassing mess C4 have made of their coverage of the World Championships.

Of course he's great and wise and all that...but the likes of Roger Black, Dean Macey, Daley Thompson, Sally Gunnell, etc, could all do a fabulous job.

It doesnt do GB athletics any good to have Johnson there as he got into a furious row a few years ago wehen he accused all the british sprinters of being lazy complacent tosspots.
  • jim453
    carrock wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    carrock wrote:

Of course he's great and wise and all that...but the likes of Roger Black, Dean Macey, Daley Thompson, Sally Gunnell, etc, could all do a fabulous job.

It doesnt do GB athletics any good to have Johnson there as he got into a furious row a few years ago wehen he accused all the british sprinters of being lazy complacent tosspots.

It doesn't do GB athletics any good to have sprinters who are lazy, complacent tosspots.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    carrock wrote:

He is excellent as he says it as it is whereas most British ex-athletes are scared of upsetting their old mates. He also isn't big of glorifying British mediocrity like a lot of others.
  • Big up MIchael Johnson.

Everytime he says anything it worth listening to.

As other posters have said, he tells it like it is,and is very knowledgable.