which pannier rack

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
I want to buy a rack for my on one pompino so i can do some touring on it but on sure what one to buy.
I have a pair of Norco arkansas so they will need to fit these

Help please!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    How much do you want to carry? My favorite smallish rack is the tortec velocity which is a slimline rack so you don't have the flat bit on the top.

That said, given the fitting minefield, i'd just pay someone to fit whatever they has that is any good.
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I will be carrying quite a bit as i will be taking a tent and kit for a weeks tour
  • Is that bike a fixie? (see link below)

Its geometry looks like mounting rear panniers could be an issue - the wheelbase is pretty short. Your heels might catch the front edge of the panniers as you pedal.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPMPRS/o ... road-sport
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    A Tortec Expedition fitted fine on my Pompino - and I was able to carry Ortleib Classic Rollers both sides, and a tent on top no probs.

You have to switch the arms around to get them to fit on the thin wishbone stays at the seat tube, but it's very easily done (will make sense when you've got the rack in front of you!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Pretty much anything from the Tubus range should fit - I'd go for one of the minimalist ones like the Vega - it looks better on a bike like the Pompino.

http://www.tubus.com/en/rear-carriers
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Yep I was also going to say that my Tubus Vega rack works perfectly. But in all honesty I don't think there's anything unusual about the Pompino frame so I'd have thought pretty much any rack will fit.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Madison Summit rear rack - very strong, stiff, light, well made and a fraction of the price of Tubus. Plus far better quality than Tubus. I bought a Tubus Ergo front rack recently and the quality was awful even after two of them. So not impressed. It is a pity Madison don't do a Summit front low loader.

Anyway Madison Summit rear rack is very good and worth considering.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    dilemna wrote:
    Madison Summit rear rack - very strong, stiff, light, well made and a fraction of the price of Tubus. Plus far better quality than Tubus. I bought a Tubus Ergo front rack recently and the quality was awful even after two of them. So not impressed. It is a pity Madison don't do a Summit front low loader.

Hmm. I have two Tubus racks (a Cosmo and a Vega). The quality seems excellent to me. But then I'm not an engineer so I'm not an expert in welding or tubing - and equally I suspect neither are you. In what way is the Madison better specifically?

The Madison looks like a good-quality rack and if your budget is limited then it would be a good option- definitely better than a cheapo rack. But the important difference is thay the Tubus racks are steel while the Madison is aluminium - a less strong material than steel. This is reflected in the maximum loads: 30kg for the Madison and 40kg for the Tubus Cargo. Now 30kg is fine for normal day-to-day use and should be more than enough for most tourers - but personally for carrying heavy loads day in day out I'd rather have the extra margin of a steel rack. I know which on I'd buy for the long haul.
  • dilemna
    andymiller wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Hmm. I have two Tubus racks (a Cosmo and a Vega). The quality seems excellent to me. But then I'm not an engineer so I'm not an expert in welding or tubing - and equally I suspect neither are you. In what way is the Madison better specifically?

The Madison looks like a good-quality rack and if your budget is limited then it would be a good option- definitely better than a cheapo rack. But the important difference is thay the Tubus racks are steel while the Madison is aluminium - a less strong material than steel. This is reflected in the maximum loads: 30kg for the Madison and 40kg for the Tubus Cargo. Now 30kg is fine for normal day-to-day use and should be more than enough for most tourers - but personally for carrying heavy loads day in day out I'd rather have the extra margin of a steel rack. I know which on I'd buy for the long haul.

I was drawing attention to poor quality of the Tubus racks I had which both went back - poor paint, faults and welding. I was shocked, I thought I was buying a top quality German product. Obviously not. I believe they are no longer made in Germany. When they cost over twice that of other racks it is pretty p155 poor IMHO. I have had probably 40+kg on my Madison Summit many times and no failure what so ever, no flex either. It has 10mm tubing. Quality is excellent. I suspect the rear wheel will fail before the rack and this is hand built.

But what ever you do, don't buy Blackburn racks. I had two of their EX racks where welds broke that is why I went to Tubus and Madison.

HTH.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Blackburn Ex rack seems god and sturdy to me. Even carried my wife a couple of miles on it!

Different folks/ different opinions, but good to hear other's practical experience.
  • dilemna
    Blackburn Ex rack seems god and sturdy to me. Even carried my wife a couple of miles on it!

Different folks/ different opinions, but good to hear other's practical experience.

Errr .......... it's not opinion it's fact. 2 Blackburn Ex racks and 2 broken welds. Commuting 35 miles a day on the roads. Avoid these racks as the welding is crap. But if you still want to buy one ........... go ahead or if you already have one be prepared for it to fail.