Brennan JB7 player: Anyone got one?

IronHorse100
IronHorse100 Posts: 302
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
..thinking of getting one - looks to be a classy piece of kit but haven't yet found anyone else first hand to let me know what they think:

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

Comments

• -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Don't have one but one of my mates has. Great piece of kit but I wonder if it is a bit overpriced and am unsure of the alternatives out there.

-Spider-
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Yes bought one for the now ex wife, very good well happy with it (till i moved out). The only down side is it take ages to load your cd's onto the system but once done it is great. All your music on a small box.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • the_spooks
    the_spooks Posts: 190
    Unsure what your looking for but a Sonos or Squeezbox maybe another option.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Amazing - load all your CDs onto a small box - bit like having them on a backup drive and streaming to your PCs and ipod then? But you can't take the Brennan out for a bike ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I use an apple tv the Brennan is a nice bit of kit but you could have greater flexibility with somthing else

I ripped my CDs using a my laptop the libary is held on my nas and the apple tv holds a copy of my ITunes libary too. Back up is king. As the libary is sat on my nas I can access it from any number o streaming devices sonos, squeeze box, ps3 etc you will also find many av amps are dlna compilent ( a friend of mine just bought an onkyo amp which will stream spotify and will read his nas )

If a standalone unit such as the Brennan is exactly what you want / need go for it and enjoy - if you want a little more the world is your oyster for not much effort!
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Nik Cube wrote:
    I use an apple tv the Brennan is a nice bit of kit but you could have greater flexibility with somthing else

I ripped my CDs using a my laptop the libary is held on my nas and the apple tv holds a copy of my ITunes libary too. Back up is king. As the libary is sat on my nas I can access it from any number o streaming devices sonos, squeeze box, ps3 etc you will also find many av amps are dlna compilent ( a friend of mine just bought an onkyo amp which will stream spotify and will read his nas )

If a standalone unit such as the Brennan is exactly what you want / need go for it and enjoy - if you want a little more the world is your oyster for not much effort!

Which nas do you use? I am looking to do this too in the near future as my itunes library is getting too large for my macbook hd.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CDs on a NAS, played back via a squeezebox touch connected to the Amp and a Squeezebox 3 connected to some powered speakers in the kitchen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I use an iomega nas 1 tb of storage works for me and looks quite neat too my good lady wife isn't keen on lots of black boxes in the house.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Agree - there are many ways you can do this with tech you probably already own.

I have my iTunes library on a NAS, that streams to an Apple TV or one of two Airport Expresses (or all three at once); lots of benefits, the largest of which is flexibility, followed by library management and backups, and the ability to control it all from a phone/ipad/laptop.
  • the thing is, I don't really want to have to stream anything - I have enough trouble with my wi-fi as it is. Wired is very under rated in my opinion. I don't want multiple points of failure and the Brennan seems simple, efficient and I can use it with my existing seperates.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a sony gigajukebox and love it. It takes a wile to load Cd's in, granted but you can plug in your ipod via USB and data transfer easily. you can also play from any MP3 player or storage device you want and has a DAB tuner as well. Happy days.