Vuelta Stage 10 *spoiler*

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Looking at the GC I think Nibali is still in a very good position. Sky must be thinking what if they hadn't made such a balls up of the TTT.

Great ride from Froome and normal service from Tony Martin who I think will be World Champion in the TT this year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    What a ride from Froome
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The thing is though, will Froome be able to climb as well as Wiggo in the coming stages?

I would have thought that was a question that needs reversing I.e. Can wiggo keep with froome.

Froome was always known as a climber back when he was with Thomas at barloworld and so I would think sky now will gowith whoever feels and can hang with the lead groups in the coming stages. Well done to both wiggo and froome but that gap to nibali doesn't quite look enough and molema etc are all within one big mountain stage effort in the final climb of taking the jersey.

Pretty sure there will be a lot of discussions at sky. For me I wonder as we all know froe and wiggo can stay at a good power output level with top climbers but lack the explosive climbing ability. Who is close in gc who will climb like that? Guess it's take each day as it comes
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Looking at the GC I think Nibali is still in a very good position. Sky must be thinking what if they hadn't made such a balls up of the TTT.

Great ride from Froome and normal service from Tony Martin who I think will be World Champion in the TT this year.

Agree about Nibali, but he and Wiggins climb with a similar style. I can't imagine Nibali ever putting in a killer attack and blowing things to pieces. Wiggins should be able to follow if Nibali just climbs with his usual grinding style.

Looking at the remaining stage profiles, Liquigas may try and split it on the downhills on stages 14 and 15.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Interesting tweetage from Mr Hunter (who I'd assume knows Froome quite well)

http://twitter.com/#!/RobbieHunter/stat ... 7894626304
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    they've been stalling with good reason

[edit] i have no insider info, its just that he's not really done much
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • iainf72 wrote:

To be fair to all though if you are given a chance to prove your worth after spending time out injured and not given top class results then he is doing just that. I think sky should have no shame in stalling contracts until they could see if he could deliver on the promise I think he has shown before. If he doesn't get a contract out of them (and I am sure he will) then he certainly hasn't done himself any harm with his performance eh?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Great ride from Chris Froome chapeau sir.
  • inkyfingers
    gsk82 wrote:
    they've been stalling with good reason

[edit] i have no insider info, its just that he's not really done much

Have to agree that until this Vuelta he's not really shown much at Sky. I seem to remember him having one really good day where he rode with the favourites at the Tour de Suisse this year but then faded badly the next day. Personally I think he'll have a bad day soon and drop out of contention, but would love to be wrong.

With Wiggins the key is whether he can keep climbing like he did yesterday. If he can then he has a chance of holding Nibali at bay and limiting his losses to guys like J Rod and Mollema on the really hard finishes to come. It could come down to time bonuses, which is where his lack of sprinting ability will count against him. Personally I think he has a shot at the podium but think he'll lose time on Nibali somewhere, probably on the Angliru.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Based on many other sports beware the man who's performance goes to a new level when contract negotiations are on.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    iainf72 wrote:

and this from him..
    Actually @chrisfroome needs to find greener pastures I think...
    cartoon.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    I'd be careful reading too much into Robbie Hunter's tweets, he seems to tweet first and think second most of the time.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Anyone remember Hunter winning anything. His mouth is faster than his legs. Grade one tosspot
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I'd be careful reading too much into Robbie Hunter's tweets, he seems to tweet first and think second most of the time.

true that..
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    camerone wrote:
    Anyone remember Hunter winning anything. His mouth is faster than his legs. Grade one tosspot

Stage of the Tour?

Interesting to look at Froome on CQ Ranking. He was better when not at Sky, until today, so perhaps Robbie is onto something
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Top 15 at Romandie, and at Castilla y Leon are better results than anything he did at Barloworld. And that was in a injury and illness ravaged season. He's in the right place if Sky can still afford him.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    One swallow doesn't make a spring.

Let's see where he is in a week.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Doobz wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Nice Result for Kenya today...

First Kenyan to wear a GT Jersey?

First African, even?

Even better :)

Em, the South African sprinter, Robbie Hunter, who won Stage 11 of the 2007 Tour was the first African to won a stage in a GT. Albeit after most of the field were caught behind him in a crash.

He's also one of the angriest men in the peloton, (see his tweets as evidence) so I would run and hide if I were you. :D
  • Tusher
    (Note to self: read to the end of the thread before posting)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Tusher wrote:
    (Note to self: read to the end of the thread before posting)

also read the post correctly :wink:

the question was about an african GT jersey wearer, not stage winner....
  • Tusher
    :oops:
    Yes, you're quite correct, PBo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    A previous African GT jersey wearer?

Well, Richard Virenque was from Morocco.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    andyp wrote:
    One swallow doesn't make a spring.

Let's see where he is in a week.

Tell that to Hoste or and Van Petegem!
  • rick_chasey
    Guess who was last in the TT? :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Obviously saving himself for a good day today. :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Was that the same rider who came 11th in the TT of the Vuelta 2 years ago and said he wanted to focus his career more in that direction? :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He even crashed then:

70-PIC56685485.jpg

He came 2nd in the prologue in Assen.

5-3.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Was that the same rider who came 11th in the TT of the Vuelta 2 years ago and said he wanted to focus his career more in that direction? :wink:

The very same. I was thinking exactly that.

That's not the only time he's mentioned his (very dormant) TTing prowess either.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FJS wrote:

That's not the only time he's mentioned his (very dormant) TTing prowess either.
    Ouch:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... roin-wound
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Ouch:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... roin-wound

*blushes*

at least he didn't give the real reason.........................

:wink: