Police in Tesco's

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Me an my Mrs went to Tesco to get a "big shop" tonight, an within the retail park (Prescot for you locals) there is a McDonalds so anyways we go to McD's to get a Mcflurry. take seat belts off to eat mcflurry. then drive to Tesco's literally 60secs

i park car up an get out as i do a copper walks out of Tesco carrying a tesco carrier bag an says to me

"how far have you just driven"

"From McDonalds"

"that could have cost you £120 that could have.......judging by the age of your car im guessing it is fitted with seatbelts......"

so i answer "yes, it sure as, but seeing as i have just driven at the 10mph limit in the car park an because i only needed to drive 500 yards i didnt bother" was my response

he then gets in his little Police transit connect van, opens the window as he drives past an says "an your parking is diabolical too" an tears off out of the carpark

quite an angry bloke really

so, can the Police do you in the car park for a seatbelt?

can Police go shopping in a Police vehicle when their in uniform?

an they wonder why some people dont like em!

blimey this is a long post!!
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I'd say no as its private land, and seatbelts are only required to be worn when driving on a public highway which the car park is not.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    yes they can 'go shopping' in uniform. It will most likely have been for lunch. they're not going to be carrying a change of clothes and when on patrol its often not convenient to get to the staff canteen for tea break and lunch. or would you rather the patrol cops spend a good chunk of their shift commuting to and from the station or a brew?

if he'd come out with a trolley full and a box of DVD's it'd be taking the proverbial, but a bag? thats what I come out of Asda with if I nip in there for a butty and a bag of crisps at dinner time.

I'm not seeing the anger though, how does he know you''re not a persistent non seat belt wearer & was letting you know the consequences had he seen you do it on the public road? He could have done you though, a quick Google suggests its only considered private land if it is gated/fenced etc and not directly accessible from the public roads (awaits cops telling me I've got this wrong) but it sounds like he was doing his job whch includes crime and accident prevention where possible rather than prosecuting every minor infringement going. He spotted you driving in a manner which is clearly against the law and challenged you on it, you gave a full answer (no doubt in a neutral, pleasant and non sarcastic manner) he took you at your word and he went.
    Think from his angle as well, he's the one scraping the consequences of people not wearing seatbelts off the dashboard or the road if it does go wrong.

as for the parking jibe, we all think were better behind the wheel than we actually are, maybe your definition of well parked and his don't tally.

2 sides to all arguments
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Tonymufc wrote:
    I'd say no as its private land, and seatbelts are only required to be worn when driving on a public highway which the car park is not.

seems that if it is directly accessible to/from the public highway it falls under that jurisdiction. Private land has to be gated / fenced off to be considered so.

source: google-fu tho so may be wrong or out of date
  • as for the parking jibe, we all think were better behind the wheel than we actually are, maybe your definition of well parked and his don't tally. 2 sides to all arguments

Hmmm yes. Or maybe he was just being a c0ck on a power trip.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    When I worked in a supermarket after school (many moons ago) I was told that Police in uniform can go shopping, but can't buy alcohol in uniform or place a bet.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    mudcow007 wrote:
    so, can the Police do you in the car park for a seatbelt?

can Police go shopping in a Police vehicle when their in uniform?

!!

Yes. And drink driving etc.

Yes, but not for booze.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Badly parked cars are the one thing in life that really really gets me angry. Noticing more now though that parking outside the marked bay as they call it or over the white lines as everyone else calls it is something parking companies fine for now.

But what was his problem with you driving across the car park without a seat belt. If you hit something at that speed, would the air bag even deploy or anything but the bumper feel the impact.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This is what happens to some people when they put on a uniform. :(
  • To me it sounds like he was giving you a friendly reminder that it would be wise to wear your seat belt at all times when driving. I don't see the problem. the comment on your parking just seemed like a friendly quip. Without being there it's hard to tell, but sounds like he was being reasonable to me. If as others have suggested he was on a "power trip" he would have given you the fine not just warned oyu about it.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Calling you out on it? Absolutely correct. Half a k is a fair distance.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Woah! Is everyone not missing the big picture here? He was in McDonalds! Good god man have you no shame that you have to bring your filthy perversions up for discussion on a family website!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    The policeman sounds like a bit of a knob TBH. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,232
    Pretty sure there doesn't need to be an apostophe after Tesco.

I'm always surprised that the police have time to stop me and recommend I ride my bike with both hands, but took 3hrs to respond to a call that I'd been burgled.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Sounds fair. It was a warning made in passing and you both went on your way without delay.

Are you sure you aren't annoyed at being called out for being naughty?
  • rick_chasey
    davmaggs wrote:
    Sounds fair. It was a warning made in passing and you both went on your way without delay.

Are you sure you aren't annoyed at being called out for being naughty?

I'm still pretty sure taking a hand off my handlebars to have a drink from my bottle isn't being naughty.

I'm annoyed I had to sit in a burgled house, with my bed full of burglar sh!t for 3hrs .
  • Pretty sure there doesn't need to be an apostophe after Tesco

If he wants to add the S as in, the place belonging to Tesco, then yes there does.

As for the policeman: patronising knob. Nothing at all 'friendly' about that attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    Pretty sure there doesn't need to be an apostophe after Tesco

If he wants to add the S as in, the place belonging to Tesco, then yes there does.

Eh?

What place?
  • He was p*ssed off as Tesco must have had an offer on doughnuts but they had run out.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Most public car parks state that they come under the rules and laws of the roads. Therefore you need insurance etc. So, standard rules count, you need a seatbelt for more than 50 yards.

Eh?

What place?

The supermarket owned by Tesco. It's much the same as if you were to say, 'Im off to the Doctor's (or Doctors'). Your way is perfectly fine too, but there's nothing wrong with the OP's.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Pretty sure there doesn't need to be an apostophe after Tesco

Eh?

What place?

The supermarket owned by Tesco. It's much the same as if you were to say, 'Im off to the Doctor's (or Doctors'). Your way is perfectly fine too, but there's nothing wrong with the OP's.

Or it could have been "Police in Tesco's [car park]".
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So essentially, the OP broke the law, the officer did some quick investigations, decided a fine/caution wasn't appropriate and let you carry on about your business after a quick talking to?

I really don't see the problem. If it's really considered to be public highway then you should consider yourself lucky not to have a fine.

Mudcow: I'm trying to remember what you've said in the past about other law breakers and 'soft' sentences :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Eh?

What place?

There's no need to call Tesco "Tesco's" or "Tescos", it's just Tesco! Sainsbury's on the other hand does have a possessive "s".... However this is all besides the point, as a Liverpudlian surely he should be calling Tesco, Tezzies and the police da bizzies?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    M'eh. Serves you right.

a) for going to McShites in the first place and
    b) making a 60 second drive in the first place. Have you no legs?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Asprilla wrote:
    Woah! Is everyone not missing the big picture here? He was in McDonalds! Good god man have you no shame that you have to bring your filthy perversions up for discussion on a family website!

thank you, he then proceeds to park like a c*nt. :lol: Of course you should get called up on it

It's pitchfork time people

The copper didn't fine the OP and therefore back off people; if he had fined him (which he could have done) then fair enough whine on about power trips etc. Some people just can't wait to have a go... mostly the people who get involved with the police for various reasons.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Rolf F wrote:
    M'eh. Serves you right.

b) making a 60 second drive in the first place. Have you no legs?

So you expect him to leave his car parked up at McDonalds then later wheel his trolley across a busy industrial estate with a load of shopping, then wheel the trolley all the way back again? Very practical :-)

Eh?

What place?

There's no need to call Tesco "Tesco's" or "Tescos", it's just Tesco! Sainsbury's on the other hand does have a possessive "s".... However this is all besides the point, as a Liverpudlian surely he should be calling Tesco, Tezzies and the police da bizzies?

No need, yes, but not incorrect to do so.

Of course none of us know the full ins-and-outs of the OP's experience, but I'm sure we've all enjoyed plod's particular brand of unnecessary patronisation. This is particularly hard to swallow when you have an experience like Rick's where you really need the police to be around, yet they are not there to help you.

PS. a policeman once tricked me out of my large kebab!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Asprilla wrote:

Worse still in Tesco's. Just for the record, it should really be Tesco rather than Tesco's. And Tescos is wrong completely, in the same was that Asdas is and Wiggles is.