Seat clamp bolt snapped

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Clunk - and the seat collapsed. Had to do the last few miles standing up. Managed to shelter behind a fixie/ss for a while so I could pedal, rest, pedal, rest but ran out of steam and had to let him go.
Couldn't help thinking that the effort involved was similar to running when my pulse tends to be a lot higher than cycling. Think I might start doing some extended out of the seat cycling as training.
Didn't have a spare bolt of the same diameter (M8 ) so I've put an M6 in as a temporary fix, hopefully it will last until I get a proper replacement.
BTW isn't it a nightmare fitting a seat -
1) stack all the bits in place, put the bolt through, knock the washer/nut onto the floor.
2) Stretch down and pick up the washer/bolt, drop the allen key.
3) Pick up the allen key, let go of the seat, bolt, washer, nut.
4) pick up all the bits and go back to 1. :evil:

Comments

• Ahh.. The old 'Stand Up And Nail It' training technique, good for improving your climbing. Can you do the Contandor swing?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Twostage
    I often do the Contador swing, well you have to don't you.

Of course the seat exploding meant that I lost the fore/aft position which was spot on for me. Felt like the seat angle was wrong the whole of this morning's commute. I've adjusted it now so its very slightly angled down and I'm sure its the same distance back now.
    Tonight's commute home will tell. (It's not going to be right is it ?) :(
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Twostage wrote:

Of course the seat exploding meant that I lost the fore/aft position which was spot on for me. Felt like the seat angle was wrong the whole of this morning's commute. I've adjusted it now so its very slightly angled down and I'm sure its the same distance back now.

'orrible isn't it. Even just one or two mm out feels amazingly wrong.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Twostage
    Twostage wrote:

It wasn't right. The height was ok but I was sliding forward because he seat was slightly nose down. The seat post is the only bit that I know is correct so the overall height must be correct. Must need to be level but shifted forward a bit. Either that or put up with the forward slide. I'm going to be fiddling with it for ages aren't I ? :evil:
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I can guarantee it won't be a two stage job.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I just changed my frame and seat post and it took me months to get my seat right, first long ride on sunday on it, I just know it's not going to be right either
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can you see from the saddle rails where the clamps were previously?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Can you see from the saddle rails where the clamps were previously?
    Unfortunately not, the lacquer is peeling off most of the rails so you can't see where it is worn or a different colour.
    Its one of those things. This is an old saddle I just shoved on as a test a few weeks ago as I wasn't happy with the one I was using. As it was a test to see if it was better I didn't mark it up with nail varnish like I normally do as it didn't get faffed about with, just shoved on. Turned out to be just right and I should have marked it up.