MapMyRide vs. Endomondo ascent accuracy

Jim Will Fixie It
Jim Will Fixie It Posts: 72
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
Hello, I realise this was discussed on here a few weeks ago but, here it goes...

Today I did a ride from Shaftesbury, Dorset to Cheddar Gorge (and back):
- MapMyRide says that the total ascent of the ride was 4236ft with the highest point being 951ft (at the very highest point after the Gorge).
- Endomondo says that the total ascent of the ride was 5479ft with the highest point being 1100ft (again at the highest point just after the Gorge).

Which one is correct? Looking on the internet, the top of the Gorge is listed as 1000ft, so I am erring towards the Endomondo figures as the highest point was actually after the top of the Gorge, so 1000ft plus an extra 100ft seems reasonable.

However, my problem with the Endomondo comes from last week. On a ride that both Endomondo and MapMyRide regularly suggest is c.1800ft of ascent, Endomondo decided that it was, on this occasion, 2600ft! Looking at the ascent graph, there were a few discrepancies - namely me dropping from 850ft to sea level in the space of about a quarter of a mile, a hill I know is not on that particular ride.

So, after that overly long explanation, which figure do you think is correct for my Cheddar Gorge ride?

(Here's the Endomondo workout link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/21073953)

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    They're probably both wrong.

I've stopped worrying about the numbers. Does it matter?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Go with MapmyRide. It will tend to underestimate rather than overestimate but the height gain will come from a digital terrain map so, as long as they don't change the resolution of the map (which will slightly increase the recorded height gains assuming the change is an increase), the figure you get for a route will always be the same (whereas the recorded value from a GPS unit will vary). Which probably matters more than absolute accuracy (assuming you are comparing your perfomance and rides with your own previous rides!).

The highest contour line of that part of the Mendips appears to be about 300m and the road doesn't reach it. So I think you never reached 1000 feet.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Endomondo isnt too accurate. Tonight I ascended 500 feet and descended 700 feet, starting and finishing in the same place.

Garmin 800 said 1100ft roughly, and bikehike says 1050ft.

To top it off, i exported the endomondo route and imported it to ridewithgps and it says I did about 39,000ft climbing in a 15 mile ride in Afan on my MTB the other day!!
  • Eyon wrote:
    Endomondo isnt too accurate. Tonight I ascended 500 feet and descended 700 feet, starting and finishing in the same place.

Garmin 800 said 1100ft roughly, and bikehike says 1050ft.

To top it off, i exported the endomondo route and imported it to ridewithgps and it says I did about 39,000ft climbing in a 15 mile ride in Afan on my MTB the other day!!

Vertical Cycling! Could be a new sport =D
    exercise.png
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Go with MapmyRide. It will tend to underestimate rather than overestimate but the height gain will come from a digital terrain map so, as long as they don't change the resolution of the map (which will slightly increase the recorded height gains assuming the change is an increase), the figure you get for a route will always be the same (whereas the recorded value from a GPS unit will vary). Which probably matters more than absolute accuracy (assuming you are comparing your perfomance and rides with your own previous rides!).

The highest contour line of that part of the Mendips appears to be about 300m and the road doesn't reach it. So I think you never reached 1000 feet.

Cheers Rolf. I've always gone with MapMyRide in the past, especially after my previous episode with Endomondo, so it looks like I will stick with the 4200ft figure - even though I want to believe that I did the extra 1000ft :wink:

Oh, and Jim, understanding the ascent helps me understand my average speed slightly better. 16mph with 5400ft would be, in my eyes, more of an achievement than 16mph with 4200ft. Hey ho, each to their own.