Budget full face lid recommendations

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
A mate has persuaded me to have a go at a bit of 'light' downhill fun in the not too distant (PORC, Cwmcarn red, that sort of thing) and I need a decent full face lid that doesn't break the bank, in case I make a prize t1t of myself and never do it again :) .

Any recommendations? Ta in advance.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• I have a 2009 No Fear Prime (I think the 2011 ones are still going on CRC).

Is been great, does exactly what it says on the tin tbh.

I'd just recommend you go try a few and get one that fits best for the price you can spend.

The cheaper 661's get a good review, but I found my bro's really hot compared to the Prime.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fit is really important & varies between makes. I'm using a Giro Remedy wich is not too expensive (Just under £100 I think) but after a couple big crashes & seeing several people knocked out while wearing DH/BMX helmets I have decided it's time for a motocross lid, heavier but more protection.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    No Fear Optimal II Evo reduced from £155 to £60 on CRC:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46195

Don't know anything about, just thought it looked like good value...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have one of the new 661 comp full face lids and really rate it, nice helmet for the price.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I have decided it's time for a motocross lid, heavier but more protection.

:shock:

Anyway; I use a TSG Staten, works very well for me but, £90 and looks very pretty (if you like white or black..)

Might be issues with availability though
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    I got a fox rampage a few years ago, for about £50 it's a £100 lid, it was from stif cycles. They have the new ones but they're not on sale yet. Give it a bit and this years models will be reduced if not already due to next years models coming out.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    PaulBox wrote:
    No Fear Optimal II Evo reduced from £155 to £60 on CRC:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46195

Don't know anything about, just thought it looked like good value...

+1 for that
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks everyone - some good leads to go on 8) . Hopefully some bike shops in the flatlands of the South East will actually stock some of these to try on !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I have decided it's time for a motocross lid, heavier but more protection.

Anyway; I use a TSG Staten, works very well for me but, £90 and looks very pretty (if you like white or black..)

Might be issues with availability though

Mine is an mx lid :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I love headings like this.

Have you got a budget head? get out ther and try some on. I have only found two FF that fit me. one was a Uvex and the other a DiamondBack BMX team lid.

TLDs just dont fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2011
    nicklouse wrote:
    Have you got a budget head? get out ther and try some on. I have only found two FF that fit me. one was a Uvex and the other a DiamondBack BMX team lid.

TLDs just dont fit.
    As long as they are up to the relevant safety standards then that's OK for me: I was just trying to avoid recommendations for very expensive lids. Agree, will have to try a few but wanted some pointers first.
  • madmossy
    madmossy Posts: 42
    Use one of the 661 comp 2 full face helmets, already saved me a trip to A&E once so worth its weight in gold imho and at less than 50 quid an absolute bargain.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019

shock.gif

Then I bid you good day Sir!
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • 661 strike is a sturdy budget lid. A bit hot and heavy but trust me, it's strong. I got knocked out in one but it was a very hefty headplant! The helmet was totally unmarked. Shame about my dislocated shoulder! And my head was fine despite going unconscious, it felt strangely very, very comfortable actually. :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

shock.gif

Then I bid you good day Sir!
    Plenty of peple wear MX lids. The biggest downside, when racing DH, is the extra weight.
  • Currently did alot of looking about for a full face.

Asked on here about a short list idea, and got told to try uhm on, lol nice to have an idea of a few to try on isn't it :)

I ended up with a 661 evo there about £80 if you look about at the moment, but try a few different makes they all fit slightly different :)
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    BIketart do quite a few for under a £100. Unless you can get to Canterbury, you can't try them on though.

In the market for a full face myself and like the look of the new bluegrass models.
  • definitely not in my budget but maybe in yours?....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64133
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I got one of these

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... E-FIVE.htm

With the VIP discount came to about £72.
  • y0.o!
    y0.o! Posts: 123
    I bought this one yesterday, not arrived yet.
    It's got good review, some people have tested it lol and it's cheep :-), £45 for mine.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57596

It was a choice between that, Point five and 661 Evolution. I got that as I think it's just as good as those, plus the price is great. If it stops you from cracking your skull just once, it was well worth it, trust me lol.
    My ride Genesis Core 50 2011

y0.o! aka David.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Useless if it doesn't fit.
  • Stevo_666
    Currently did alot of looking about for a full face.

Asked on here about a short list idea, and got told to try uhm on, lol nice to have an idea of a few to try on isn't it :)

I ended up with a 661 evo there about £80 if you look about at the moment, but try a few different makes they all fit slightly different :)
    Yup, a decent shortlist is what's needed and I think I got one now. The small matter of a bike that can do it also needs to be sorted :P , though I may try a few demo bikes in the near future...