Buggered ZTR Flow

robst3
robst3 Posts: 145
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Splashed out on a new rear wheel - a ZTR Flow on hope pro 2 evo.

Second ride out and my inner tube blew out on landing a small jump (no more than 2ft air). This is the result:

2011%252520-%2525201.jpg

Afterwards it was out of true and had a flat spot where the dent is. Managed to re true it but I can't get rid of the flat spot.

What are my options?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use it or replace it.

and take some pliers to it to bent it out if you are going to keep using it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robst3
    Any way to deal with the flat spot? Don't think i'll be replacing it having just spent a fortune on it. Its going to be either ride it or dont ride :(
  • nicklouse
    may be it depends on the rim. take it to a wheel builder.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • You dont want to try and bend that out. IIRC Stans said it will result in the rim cracking if you try it.
  • robst3
    Hmm too late... Did it with an adjustable wrench.

Then completely loosened spokes and rebuilt the wheel from there. Wheel true again now.. See how it holds up. Should this have happened on a rim that is supposed to be suitable for DH?
  • nicklouse
    robst3 wrote:
    Hmm too late... Did it with an adjustable wrench.

Then completely loosened spokes and rebuilt the wheel from there. Wheel true again now.. See how it holds up. Should this have happened on a rim that is supposed to be suitable for DH?

sorry that aint no DH rim. AM yes. I would want a bit more width myself.

Dh camp means little as they can change wheels after every run.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like you hit a root or rock or something - a sharp force on the edge of any rim and it could bend like that. Nothing to do with the suitability of the rim, just bad luck. Possibly tyre a bit soft.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, just another day in the life of a rim. Most of my wheels have had worse, personally I'd just straighten that little dent and carry on. (Ironically my Flows are the only rims I've not put at least one proper dent in, though that's just luck)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Try running them tubeless, no tube to blow and get a flat then.