Dead things ....

The Running Man
The Running Man Posts: 574
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
The ride into work is looking more like a bloomin abbatoir every day :(:(

Within the last 2 or 3 weeks I've seen a dead deer, a tawny owl (this morning), a kestrel, 2 dead baby badgers, a weasel, assorted rats and more pheasants and wood pigeons than you can shake a stick at :

Very sad ....
Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Stock up your freezer for the winter, that's good grub that is.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Mmmm, lovely. With a few good taters.
  • Yep get the freezer full of roadkill, it'll make for an appetizing stew in the winter.

Really for effective roadkilling you need a mercedes benz - The 3 pointed star makes for a great bulls eye for putting the animal cleanly out of its misery under the front bumper without harming the meat.

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Findi ... _a_Rabbit/

Use this link to get an idea as to how to do the "Icky business" on bunnies. For any game birds just do as your mum might do to a chicken on a sunday and downsize the expectations.

It will be messy and smelly, but think of the end product!!!!

Yum!!!!

Far tastier and more healthy than the anti-biotics laden tasteless chicken you'll buy in any supermarket.
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There's a couple of crispy ducks at the side of the road on my way in, as well as the usual assortment of pheasants, squirells, foxes, badgers and pigeons.

There's also something in the trees that looks (and smells) like someone threw a sheep through a wood chipper. It's probably the aftermath of some horrific, Hannibal style murder, just waiting for a poor, unsuspecting cyclist to discover it.

I did save a bird of some sort a few weeks back though:
    IMAG0070.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nice tit.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Many (many many many) years ago my first road legal motorcycle was a 50CC step-through, eastern european, POS moped with two gears and an automatic centrifugal clutch. What this translates to is that you had to hit the base of any hill absolutely flat out with the engine screaming otherwise it would slow down and drop into granny gear.
    You would then get old before you reached the top of the hill.

Anyway, buzzing along, hill ahead, flock of peahens in the road at the base of the hill.

Lean on horn (or electronic duck impression button as I called it). They'll get out of my way won't they?

No. They didn't.

Somehow one got into the chain and became comprehensively shredded. I was picking bits of peahen off the bike for weeks (under the seat and behind the numberplate looked like the scene of a woodchipper murder).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:
    There's a couple of crispy ducks at the side of the road on my way in, as well as the usual assortment of pheasants, squirells, foxes, badgers and pigeons.

There's also something in the trees that looks (and smells) like someone threw a sheep through a wood chipper. It's probably the aftermath of some horrific, Hannibal style murder, just waiting for a poor, unsuspecting cyclist to discover it.

IMAG0070.jpg

For those people thinking he's being all loving and caring for the cute tweety bird: watch Paul 8)

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4189821721/ (forward to 2 mins)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

IMAG0070.jpg

For those people thinking he's being all loving and caring for the cute tweety bird

It was so tiny, I was only able to get one decent sized nugget out of it :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aaahh!! Very sweet :)

One of the problems with bigger roadkill however especially foxes, deer and badgers is that they stink like you would not believe : the warmer weather has allowed me the dubious privilege of being able to identify decomposition from about a quarter of a mile away with the right wind ....

Then again it could be my neighbour who does have some personal hygiene issues ....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    or that guy you're drafting has let one rip
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Seen a few squashed foxes recently. London traffic dictates that they very quickly become a bloody smear on the road - not great to ride through.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I'm in Australia at the moment. You don't know roadkill until you've ridden through a squashed kangaroo.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Stock up your freezer for the winter, that's good grub that is.....

Seriously. When I was in my teens I used to go out on rides with my dad. We often saw dead pheasants out on the road and provided they hadn't been mushed into the road and had only been clipped by a passing car or something, he would stick them down his jersey and ride home with them and after hanging for a few days or so, would make a game stew...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I saw a dead boar in the swamp this week, the vultures were very happy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I used to take my Landy out greenlaneing on the forestry tracks when I lived in the Rhondda. Every Sunday about six or seven vehicles would meet up and we'd go and re-arrange the landscape a bit.

One day as we.were about to exit the forestry track back out to the.Rhigos mountain road we found a horse had been inconsiderate enough to die blocking the road.

It is an.education in anatomy to see.what a horse looks like after six high powered landrovers drive over it. My friend Sparky thought it particularly funny to put his into 2WD and spin the back wheels on the body. But then he always was.a.sick puppy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    In the last few weeks of my commute, I have nearly flattened Rabbits, Pigeons, and I've seen a fox as roadkill as well as a couple of dead pigons.

Got to love first thing in the morning, thats when you see all the wildlife.

David
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The puncture fairy keeps leaving dead hedgehogs in my path.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.