Riding after a few beers ?

porker33
porker33 Posts: 636
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
I wonder what the consensus and legality of this was?

Just to be clear, I am not much of a drinker, would never drink and drive, yet somehow don't think it would be so bad to cycle after a couple of beers, where as cycling while really drunk would be clearly stupid as you would be a liability to yourself and others.

What I am getting at, is if you drink 2 beers and drive, if breathalised you would likely lose your licence.
After 2 beers on a bike, you may be less likely to get stopped, would you burn the alcohol off cycling?
If you were stopped, could they take your driving licence away?

Any views on cycling back from the pub after a couple?

Cheers!

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    They can't take your licence away for an offence on a bicycle.

However, as I don't fancy having a couple of grands worth of damage to my car by an uninsured cyclist, or pulling his dismembered body from underneath it, or facing his family across the coroners court, or waking up screaming in the middle of the night for the rest of my life because of the horrific nightmares, I would suggest you don't do it.

If you want to commit suicide go jump off Beachy Head where the only people involved in your death are trained professionals.

Remember, the life you wreck may be that of a fellow cyclist.
  • Are you seriously saying that having a few beers and biking is suicide, and you are going to automatically have an accident? Jesus, I should died years ago then!
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    If I remember rightly, it's illegal to cycle while you're too drunk to control your vehicle, but unlike with motor vehicles there's no defined threshold for "too drunk". Use your common sense.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    You can in fact be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bicycle even if you are just pushing it! The same applies to horses by the way. There may be no defined limit but I'm sure an argument could be made if you were pished and caused an accident. No licence to lose but a fine most likely.
  • Are you seriously saying that having a few beers and biking is suicide, and you are going to automatically have an accident? Jesus, I should died years ago then!

I can hardly cycle straight at the best of times! Although the beer might counterbalance my natural instability issues - an experiment is due I think!****

***on a private road
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I recently cycled a couple of miles home from a bbq at which I tanked a "good few" beers, at first I thought "it'll be quiet & i'll be fine" so I set off (downhill... at pace...) & after a hundred metres or so gave up as I was clearly all over the place & the most inconspicuous of road bumps almost jarred my hands clean off the bars. Not something i'll be considering in future tbh, unless it literally is a "few" beers, not worth it!

I did however cycle the rest of the way home on the (empty) pavement, which I found most amusing... must have been drunker than I thought.

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Wow, not quite the response I expected.

In the past I have managed to walk back from the pub after 2 full pints drunk over a 2 hour period, having then taken a knife i have managed to prepare a meal using a gas oven. I managed not to cut myself or blow the house up.

I tried to be quite clear in the explanation of the question I asked for the emotional.

Tks for the response, on the basis you have not drunk to excess, feel fine and don't do anything stupid, it potentially has less legal consequences than driving.

Lets consider, you could be easily distracted while sober talking to a mate while cycling in a country lane, I will tell my suicidal mate to button it and concentrate on the road!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Drunk cycling is both dangerous and hilarious. There should be a drunk race series, preferably MTB or Cyclocross.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    Anytime I cycled home after a few, felt like it's taken 1/2 the time it takes when sober. I have done it but kept to paths when you can and take your time, know your limit.
    FCN 12
  • mcj78
    GiantMike wrote:
    Drunk cycling is both dangerous and hilarious. There should be a drunk race series, preferably MTB or Cyclocross.

Sure i've read about some mad singlespeed xc races in the states where you have the option of downing a pint of beer every lap or taking a time penalty? Probably one of those things that would seem a good idea until put into practice & you end up in a bush heaving your guts up, cold, covered in mud & with a broken leg 8) awesome!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,847
    It's worth noting that the police cannot insist that you take a breathalyser test if they think you are drunk in charge of a bike - ditto urine or blood samples. They can only do things like ask you to walk in a straight line or assess your general demeanour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    I had a house party which had to be broken up by the police.

Since it was Cambridge, everyone cycled there, and well, it was quite late into the night....

Anyway, all the policeman did was, as they left my drive, one by one, told them it was illegal to ride whilst drunk, and proceeded to watch them all sway their way down the main road home.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    This had been done, not quite to death, on here already. IIRC Drunk in charge of a bicycle could be up to £1000 fine. Technically, you could lose your driving licence for ANY offence motoring or otherwise as the court could decide you were an unfit person to hold a driving licence, but I don't think that has ever happened. Most PC's, in my opinion, would be unwilling to pfaff about with the paperwork and would tell you to get off and walk. The exception being that if you had actually caused an accident I'm pretty sure they would want to do you for something. Just as if you were walking home drunk stepped into the road and caused an accident, they'd probably want to do you for drunk and disorderly or breach of the peace (which seems to cover anything).

I'll have a couple and cycle home, but I did once fall off and dislocate my shoulder, mind you I was doing a wheelie.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • mcj78
    thecrofter wrote:
    I'll have a couple and cycle home, but I did once fall off and dislocate my shoulder, mind you I was doing a wheelie.

8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Road home several times pissed as a parrot, when I was a lad!
    Usually the 10 or so, miles back from the post-Xmas 10 session in the pub, or after a few when we'd been MTBing. Those post MTB rides usually included trying to knock each other off, as we wentup the green lane from pub to main road.
    Also coming back from the bar/pub as a student.
    So pissed once, I rode straight over the kerbed footway between a couple of parking spaces. Didn't fall off either! (Unlike one of my clubmates after the Xmas 10, who was dressed as a fairy in a pink tutu & tights! Well road-rashed knees!)
    Saw a report in my old local paper, that some bloke had been knicked for being "Drunk in charge of a perambulator"!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    It's not just yourself you have to worry about.

It is possible you could injure someone else while riding and even if was the other persons fault for stepping out in front of you I'm sure the court would attribute some blame to you.

Also, you can very easily get knocked off by a car when sober. After a few jars it can be more likely as your reactions aren't as sharp.

I have ridden home after 3 pints, but this was in the day and the route home was largely public footpaths and very quiet country lanes.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I don't mind having a swifty then riding home, but no more than I would have before driving.

I did once have a few before riding home. It was too crashy. Never again.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No harm done after a few beers and pootling home on your bike. Stay on the pavements, though. :wink:
  • LOL @ the people saying it's so terrible.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    LOL @ the people saying it's so terrible.
    I can be as holier than thou as I want, so there 8)
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    Redhog14 wrote:
    You can in fact be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a bicycle even if you are just pushing it! The same applies to horses by the way. There may be no defined limit but I'm sure an argument could be made if you were pished and caused an accident. No licence to lose but a fine most likely.

the above is true , but in maritime law , an owner skipper can be as pissed as he likes , AAAHHH HHAA and a bottle of Rum
    Britannia waives the rules
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    There is having a few beers and then there is having a few beers, all depends on your tolerance. Don't see any issue with 3-4 pints and a ride home though it's fairly rural for me so only a nice soft verge to fall in. Should probably go a bit easier if it's a hot day though :wink:
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Some years ago a very dear friend and her husband were knocked off by a hit and run drunk driver. She was killed outright and her husband was seriously injured and, although able to ride, has long term issues from the accident. Before then I only had a single pint if I was driving - since then, I never drink at all when driving.

However, when cycling (even on the tandem) I'm happy to drink a pint of real ale at lunch time. It's a very long time since I've been drunk but I certainly wouldn't drive or ride in that condition. It all depends what you mean by 'a few', I suppose.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • It should also be defined what type of riding we are takling about, are we talking riding home a few blocks from the pub, or riding hard out in the country, and descending and such.

Everyone has different limits, but riding hammered is not good if your just coming home from the pub, and not possible if your on a serious ride. But "tipsy" or "feeling the buzz" is no reason to call a cab home if your on your bike.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    It should also be defined what type of driving we are takling about, are we talking driving home a few blocks from the pub, or driving hard out in the country, and descending and such.

Everyone has different limits, but driving hammered is not good if you're just coming home from the pub, and not possible if you're on a serious drive. But "tipsy" or "feeling the buzz" is no reason to call a cab home if you're in your car.

Changed this for my own amusement. We've all met people who actually believe this to be true.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Friend of mine was riding home from night out in Windsor to Slough, following the riverside path out of Windsor. So drunk he rode off the edge into the river. 2 pedestrians saw it and were laughing so hard they couldn't stop. He fished himself and his bike out and had to continue on his way while they were still doubled up with laughter. he was quite concerned for their safety, they were laughing so hard, but what can you do...
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I was sitting talking about this at a work and family BBQ a few years back with a copper and he said they will only pull you if you look as though you are a danger to your self and or others. If you take their advice to walk or call a taxi at this point they will let you go on your way. The only guy he had taken to court was one who had got back on his bike as soon as he thought the copper was out of site and when spotted and stopped again he got back on his bike again as soon as the copper for the second time. The third time he was spotted he stopped and taken to the police station.
    Personaly I would not cycle drunk but have cycled back from a pub or party after drinking
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    jim453 wrote:
    It should also be defined what type of space flight we are takling about, are we talking flying the space shuttle home a few blocks from the pub, or flying the space shuttle hard out in the country, and descending and such.

Everyone has different limits, but flying the space shuttle hammered is not good if you're just coming home from the pub, and not possible if you're on a serious space flight. But "tipsy" or "feeling the buzz" is no reason to call a cab home if you're in your space shuttle.

Changed this for my own amusement. We've all met people who actually believe this to be true.

Context is all.

Nob.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Driving, easy to get to 90 mph + (dependant on car) ton of metal, with occupant reasonably protected.

Cycling, generally under 20 mph (dependant on terrain) few kgs of metal/carbon fibre reinforced polymer and ~70kgs rider who is poorly protected.

Totally different beasts.

Doesn't mean cycling whilst totally gazeboed is acceptable, but should go some way to explaining why cycling after a couple pints, is different from driving after the same amount.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I find alcohol a performance enhancing drug and won't even contempate riding without a skinful.

Forget all that PSP22 nonsense, just get some barley wine in the bidon and away you go...