Vuelta stage 11 *spoiler*

camerone
camerone Posts: 1,232
edited September 2011 in Pro race
uphill start. Six leekigas riders warming up - assume they want to make it hard from outset. Two sky riders warming up too.

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Rain for much of the day forecast, and 17 degrees - welcome to Galicia :)

Strong headwind on the finish climb (like on Sierra Nevada) could neutralize attacks a bit, although this one does have 10% sections
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Moncoutie in the break, would never have seen that coming!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Moncoutie in the break, would never have seen that coming!

Along with another 18 riders. Duarte the best placed rider on GC, then LLS.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Bad news for those who picked him in the PTP though i reackon...
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154

Nah, he'll probably win the stage today. The gap is >5:30 now, Sky will want to let the break stay away to deprive others of the bonus seconds, Katusha worked all last week, Liquigas cant be that bothered about bonus seconds, and he's a very good climber.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Nah, he'll probably win the stage today. The gap is >5:30 now, Sky will want to let the break stay away to deprive others of the bonus seconds, Katusha worked all last week, Liquigas cant be that bothered about bonus seconds, and he's a very good climber.

Would have thought J-Rod might be in need of the Bonus seconds, hence a Katusha chase, if not then its a shame, could be a dull stage!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    How hot is it?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    How hot is it?
    Forecast says not hot: http://www.lavuelta.com/11/es/recorrido/meteo.html?e=11

LeicesterLad - Rodriguez needs a miracle, not bonus seconds, for his time to matter again. It's just stages for him now - he'll save his teammates for an easier chase (smaller gap, weaker escapees, other teams cooperating) I think.
  • Break has 6m07 with 51km to go
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

It would have been worse news had he not been in the break. I picked as I expected a breakaway win today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    I know it's a summit finish and the break will probably lose lots of time, but it seems a bit odd to give a climber like Duarte who is 7 minutes down nearly and 8 minute lead with a strong looking break.

I see O'Grady looking at his route card, must have got a bit of a shock when he unfolded the bit of paper fully and saw the last 20KM... :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Sky look to be really shredding themselves to try and pull the break back, could leave Froome and Wiggins a bit exposed in the last few KMs.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    The pace isn't really that high either! Must be around 80 in the peloton still!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Boo. Don't like mountain breakaway wins.
  • Tom BB
    Anton struggling :roll:
  • camerone
    I assume froome and wiggins will not take over pulling duties when possoni goes? Could be suicide if they get on front ten to go
  • Possoni's entering the World Gurning Championship! :lol:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Katusha working for Yo-achim-Rod according to Kelly

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Well that answers everyone's question about Froome.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    afx237vi wrote:

? No feed, has he been dropped?
  • camerone
    Question is how long can froome do this?
  • inkyfingers
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

? No feed, has he been dropped?

No, he's working on the front for Wiggins.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    good to see froome knows his place. :lol:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Tom BB
    He's pulling on the front for Wiggo.....I'm quite enjoying this actually :)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited August 2011
    nope, the leader of the Vuelta has to do the work in a headwind, with a very big group still behind him - does Lovkvist still expect a contract for next year?
  • inkyfingers
    As I said before, Froome and Wiggins looking very exposed now their team has been burnt.
  • Tom BB
    Scarponi, J-Rod and Nibs all well down the peloton.....Be good to see Wiggo try and grab a few extra seconds-can't see it happening though!
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I think Wiggins is looking good again.
  • As I said before, Froome and Wiggins looking very exposed now their team has been burnt.

Perhaps but both of them seem to be putting that small group through it a bit. Plus wiggins looks comfortable.