BHF Coventry / Warwickshire Bike Ride - anyone else?

chiark
chiark Posts: 335
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
My brother in law has signed up for the BHF Warwickshire 2011 bike ride and, like a fool, I've agreed to do it with him. October 9th, starting from the National Agricultural Centre at Stoneleigh, near Coventry. I spent my formative years in Coventry :)

30 or 50 mile route, which looks quite gentle on the climbs. I've signed up for the 50 miler, despite never having done 50 miles - most I'd done was 24 before I signed up!

I've attempted to map out the route from a PDF I was sent - mapped on ridewithgps.com
full.gif

and here's the elevation
route-histogram-658844.jpg

Anyone else doing this, or tempted to do this? Or tempted to sponsor a beginner? :)
Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Close enough to get to in an hour or so, but covering a part of the country I don't know too well. Looks worth a go. As you say nothing too demanding along the route.

Update - registered.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Ah, the part of the country I used to cycle on my first "proper" road bike, a lovely Peugeot 753 Chorus. Nice quite roads. I used to live in Styvechale and reached that area via passing the airport and through Baggington.
  • chiark
    Excellent Peddle Up! I'll try to arrange to see you there closer to the time.

Rafletcher, I used to live in Finham, but now live in Leeds so it's a bit of a trek but family still live in the Midlands :D . First racer was a Peugeot Equipe...
  • I'm a Leamington lad and wasn't aware of this, that said, it's pretty much going along variances of my local routes anyway so probably won't bother.

Enjoy Napton on the hill, I love that little ramp.
  • chiark
    Cheers WW, I'm looking forward to it... I used to ride to Leamington every week at least, as I used to work in LHC Microsales on Regent Street :) .
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Did this ride last year and the weather was absolutely woeful. Rained for the entire ride.
    Well organised though with a couple of decent 'cake' stops. A few of us from work have signed up again this year for the 50 mile route. Lets hope we get a dry day this year. I work about 1 mile from the start point but don't cycle the roads in Warwickshire as I live in Leicester.
  • chiark
    Just bumping this a little as it's getting closer...

Will arrange to try and meet other BRers closer to the time !
  • Peddle Up!
    Yes - looking forward to trying this route. I did the 100km Macmillan from Stratford last Sunday. The high wind made it an "interesting experience". :shock:
  • Too far from home for me; but if you can do 24 miles, you can do 50. Good luck!
  • Peddle Up!
    Maps and GPX files available if you email the organisers.
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I was planning on doing this but there`s a chance we might go to wales on the mtb`s. Either way, I hope to do one or the other. I mailed BHF asking about the route a few wks ago, I know the majority of it and ride quite a bit of it already. Some nice country lanes there
    Well, I did it. Dragged my brother in law around too, who it turns out hasn't done any preparation, and hasn't ridden a bike for a year. He didn't mention this when he said he was thinking of signing up a few weeks ago and persuaded me to, too! :D

A nice route, very well signed, good water stops. Compared to where I live (Leeds) it was flat. A couple of small hills, but nothing classed as a climb: however, that's really not the point of this type of event, is it?

Weather was dry, but windy. A perfect day, apart from the sodding wind!

Highlight? When we set off, George and his mum were setting off on the 30 mile route. George is 8: top work! And coming the other way was a full on TT: there were some fast, fast guys there!

One guy was doing this on a unicycle, which struck me as wonderful lunacy: proper chapeau to him!

My bro-in-law was really struggling at 25 miles, and come 35 I was counting down miles with him, and planning the time to finish. I'm not sure it helped!

Come 44 miles, passing the Woodhouse, he had pushed his bike up the hill and discovered he had another puncture. I think that was the final straw for him. So he sent me away to finish, then pick up the car and go back for him. Felt sad doing that, but given the headwind on the remaining 6 miles, I think he'd have really hated it.

Enjoyable day, and quite possibly the slowest ride I've ever done: my heart rate typically sits between 170 and 190 when riding, but this time I was sitting between 120 and 140 until I was on my own again :D

definitely doing it next year! With Bro in law again, but we'll make sure he's done a little riding within 12 months!
  • Peddle Up!
    edited October 2011
    Yes, it was a good morning's ride. The wind was a bit of a pain when it gusted through farm gates etc., but otherwise OK. I do wonder how the TT'ers with fully enclosed wheels manage though.

I got caught out on the refreshment stops as I hadn't bothered to bring any nosh given it was a relatively short ride, and I do enjoy a spot of cake around 40 miles, and there was none. :(

I though the route was nice, and being new to me, interesting. I had to smile when some of the cyclists said they were "dreading Napton on the Hill" but I daresay the hard nuts would do the same at my efforts trying to get up Bushcombe Lane. :D

Your brother-in-law was unlucky to have two p******** I hope it dopesn't put him off doing another run. Next time I'm going to get there early as I found myself at the back and it's quite hard going by the other cyclists. I called out to one chap "on yer right mate" as I started to pass and he promptly swung right in front of me so the tyres had to deal with some road edge mud. :shock: .

Finally, I don't know how unicyclists do it. In God's name how to you keep control going downhill?
  • Sounds like it was a good race! I'm also equally flabbergasted by unicyclists...

Some photos are up from the event, it's worth checking it out, to find some of yourselves!

http://en.sportsnaps.com/photos/search/gb/warwickshire-british-heart-foundation-cycle-ride_129/2011-10-09/kenilworth-warwickshire//?country=GB&date=10-09-2011&eventid=129
  • Peddle Up!
    SportSnaps wrote:
    Sounds like it was a good race! I'm also equally flabbergasted by unicyclists...

Some photos are up from the event, it's worth checking it out, to find some of yourselves!

http://en.sportsnaps.com/photos/search/gb/warwickshire-british-heart-foundation-cycle-ride_129/2011-10-09/kenilworth-warwickshire//?country=GB&date=10-09-2011&eventid=129

Not me. :( That'll teach me to put my number on the back of my jersey. :)
  • Not me. :( That'll teach me to put my number on the back of my jersey. :)

Mhmm, yes, seeing the number would be key!

All I can suggest would be to go through the photos manually. Maybe you're there, but not tagged?
  • Peddle Up!
    SportSnaps wrote:
    Not me. :( That'll teach me to put my number on the back of my jersey. :)

Mhmm, yes, seeing the number would be key!

All I can suggest would be to go through the photos manually. Maybe you're there, but not tagged?

I've been through them all, but sadly no me. :( Motion blur perhaps? :)
  • Peddle Up! wrote:

Man, that's unfortunate. Next time at a race make sure to jump in front of a SportSnaps photographer!

Any upcoming races planned? We can work something out and somehow feature you ;)
  • Peddle Up!
    SportSnaps wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Man, that's unfortunate. Next time at a race make sure to jump in front of a SportSnaps photographer!

Any upcoming races planned? We can work something out and somehow feature you ;)

I take it all back - I'm in the background of a tagged rider. Off to download it now.
  • Peddle Up! wrote:

I take it all back - I'm in the background of a tagged rider. Off to download it now.

Awesome! That just made my day :)
  • chiark
    lgthmb_k67Rm5.jpg

Front left looking at the photo is me :D
  • chiark
    ...and two photos after is the brother in law...
    lgthmb_ul3kl9.jpg
  • Nice! The brother in law doesn't look too happy :P
  • chiark
    and the unicyclist!
    lgthmb_j0a7q0.jpg
  • Peddle Up!
    edited June 2012
    Capture.jpg

And here I am. No, not the rider in the fetching pink top, but the chap behind with the tissues poking out from his sleeve. Cool look, eh? :)
  • chiark
    I think it's fair to say he wasn't: the second puncture at 44m was a godsend, I think!

Thanks for taking the photos: I hope it's OK to link them like this. I'll buy mine and his, just as a reminder for him ;)
  • Feel free :) Glad you like them!

As I mentioned before - if you have any similar events where you would like to get photos of yourselves, let me know, and we can send photographers!

For the record, the email address would be julia.gifford@sportsnaps.com
  • Peddle Up!
    SportSnaps wrote:
    Feel free :) Glad you like them!

As I mentioned before - if you have any similar events where you would like to get photos of yourselves, let me know, and we can send photographers!

For the record, the email address would be julia.gifford@sportsnaps.com

I'm down for the 47 miler on the Bredon Hill Bikeaway on 23 October. I'm sure the organisers would welcome some photos of the event being available .
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    I'm down for the 47 miler on the Bredon Hill Bikeaway on 23 October. I'm sure the organisers would welcome some photos of the event being available .

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with them :)
  • Peddle Up!
    SportSnaps wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with them :)

Will you be there on Sunday?