Note to Alex Dowsett

Sirius631
Sirius631 Posts: 991
edited September 2011 in Pro race
When you try to use a standard phrase from the English language, please get it right so that the rest of us don't have to suffer toe curling moments. Hands do not have a 'scruff' to be got hold of. You get hold of something by the scruff of the neck. Necks are the only things on a body that have a scruff, and bingo wings don't count. :twisted:
To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Big win by him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sirius631 wrote:
    When you try to use a standard phrase from the English language, please get it right so that the rest of us don't have to suffer toe curling moments. Hands do not have a 'scruff' to be got hold of. You get hold of something by the scruff of the neck. Necks are the only things on a body that have a scruff, and bingo wings don't count. :twisted:

He may not pass his english GCSE but when it comes to discussing TTing I don't think i'd argue with him.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Exactly! I love a bit of metaphor mangling by our sporting types. Let's face it, have you seen Stephen Fry caning it in a bunch sprint? I should coco!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Sirius, you're so right. A talented cyclist, so it's ridiculous that he can't instantly be a decent TV pundit, I mean how hard can it be :roll:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Sirius631 wrote:

:roll:
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    Give him a break, that's the first time I've seen him doing TV commentary, can't be easy.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    16simon wrote:
    Give him a break, that's the first time I've seen him doing TV commentary, can't be easy.

Don't do it then - leave it to people who can.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    16simon wrote:

Don't do it then - leave it to people who can.
    I think it's nice to have the views of an active pro.

If anything it's the responsibility of the primary commentator to prompt the pro for his views and cut in if he's floundering.

Having said that, from what I saw Alex did okay. He certainly didn't ruin it for me and it's nice to hear from a pro away from the bike or post race rushed interview.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Sirius631 wrote:
    Are you a news reader or teacher?
    I was more interested in his input as a world class TT rider than his incorrect use of phrases, but I guess you watch such programmes waiting for such errors so you can post on here.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    It is nice to hear the views of a top pro, but when all said and done Dowsett is still a kid. A neo pro learning his trade, who only won his first pro race the other day. A sage font of all knowledge, he ain't. Kind of like getting Jack Wilshere on MOTD as a pundit?!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It is nice to hear the views of a top pro, but when all said and done Dowsett is still a kid. A neo pro learning his trade, who only won his first pro race the other day. A sage font of all knowledge, he ain't. Kind of like getting Jack Wilshere on MOTD as a pundit?!

He's a good egg, great doing what he's doing with the illness he has, don't mind his input on the TV, nice to hear from some young British pro's, however, done know if its just me but...Mr Monotone or what?!?!
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363

He's a good egg, great doing what he's doing with the illness he has, don't mind his input on the TV, nice to hear from some young British pro's, however, done know if its just me but...Mr Monotone or what?!?!

Nah Sean Kelly is on Eurosport..

Alex is still a kid, a lovely lad who will always have time to talk to people when out and about. Can't quite understand the pops - everyone has to start somewhere - people don't just become great presenters/pundits on their first appearance.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    Swift and Dowsett were really just there as guests for a bit of a chat to be fair. It gives those who might be starting out following cycling a chance to realise that there are other Brits out there than Brad and Cav.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571
    I didn't listen to him, but how much insight can a current pro offer on time trailing?

I though the whole point of time trailing was that it's totally straightforward.

How fast can you cycle from point a to point b on your own?
  • I loved Swifty and his Tour dee France pronunciation
  • What negative nasty comments from some of you on here. If I was him and had read this thread then I'd look through my family tree to see if I have any Irish descendants and switch nationalities. I thought he did a good job on Monday considering it's his first season as a pro and I'm sure Chris Boardman wouldn't have been any better at this stage in his career and now look at him.

Dowsett sounds like a decent guy from what I've read and seen of him and I hope he has a very successful career.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 - I have mates that have come across Dowsett in local time trials and apparently he is a really nice guy, happy to chat and to tell stories.

TV is difficult I reckon. You need to be given time to grow into it. I think the views of a neo pro are just as relevant as those of a senior pro - they put a different perspective on it all.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I'm sure Chris Boardman wouldn't have been any better at this stage in his career and now look at him.

Exactly, CB wasn't great to begin with and there is no proving ground to get good before being exposed. Thrown in at the deep end on national TV and sink or swim.

Give them time.
  • Give the guy a break will you!
    Scruff of the hands is a very common Essex saying blending two well known sayings and making a much better one.
  • Pross
    I've been quite impressed by Ianto Barker on the ToB, possible future career but may get overlooked for someone who has ridden at a higher level?
  • Pross wrote:
    I've been quite impressed by Ianto Barker on the ToB, possible future career but may get overlooked for someone who has ridden at a higher level?

He's a clever lad, some good insight, but he seems a little void of personality, slightly wooden, but probably just nerves.
  • Yanto knows his stuff and comes across well.

I'd have enjoyed seeing Brian Smith riding up Gun Hill though :wink:
  • I didn't see the coverage referred to by the OP,so have no issue with Alex Dowsett.

However I find the use of old pros as commentators/pundits in any sport is a hit and (usually) miss affair.I like Jonathon Agnew on Test Match Special but Chris Waddle(Pelanty) and Sally Gunnel(shouting doesn't make it more exciting) amongst others,really grind my gears.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    I didn't see the coverage referred to by the OP,so have no issue with Alex Dowsett.

However I find the use of old pros as commentators/pundits in any sport is a hit and (usually) miss affair.I like Jonathon Agnew on Test Match Special but Chris Waddle(Pelanty) and Sally Gunnel(shouting doesn't make it more exciting) amongst others,really grind my gears.

Martin Keown is surprisingly eloquent on MOTd.

I think Yanto is good, he speaks well, but i dont think he was being asked the right questions, its a bit like he has to repeat what Jill Douglas just said because thats the only thing you can answer. I think if they just let him talk he would be much better.
  • he's doing ok is our Yanto. I liked Boultings fanboi interview with Thor nice to see an interview with genuine warmth and admiration. And I'm glad brian smith is on the team. I like the way he relates whats happening in the pack to tactics in the breakaway, gives it a more dramatic feel. For some reason though i'd always pictured him as looking like pantani, funny how voices of commentators put pix in your head. well done anyway.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Was quite a shock to see Brian on TV. I hadn't seen any pictures of him since he retired and he seems to have aged and 'become more comfortable' as much as me! (Sorry BrianS! :wink: )
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Pross wrote:
    Was quite a shock to see Brian on TV. I hadn't seen any pictures of him since he retired and he seems to have aged and 'become more comfortable' as much as me! (Sorry BrianS! :wink: )

Precisely what I thought. It was quite a leap from this:
    Smith_Brian.jpg

...class rider.