Returning a bike

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,314
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello chaps

Anyone had experience of returning a bike for a refund?

My hub geared (alfine 8 speed) bike has given up after about 300 miles. The hub made a clunk going up a hill, the pedals now turn, the chain goes round, the hub and wheel do not. I am in the process of arranging the bike to be collected by courier so they can inspect it.

I don't really want them to fix it and give it back to me. I've had a few problems with it (brakes, chain snapped on first ride) and want a refund. When I mentioned this on the call they said they need to asses the bike first to see how much they can refund me (minus cost to them to make the bike ready to be sold on).

Am I right in thinking that under the SOGA I am due a full refund? I know it's only done approx 300 miles as I log my miles, but he mentioned it got complicated with me having to prove this... I've only had the bike 2 months.

Thoughts?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    If you stick to your guns I think they owe you a full refund. It's reasonable to assume a new bike should last more than 3 months without a string of failures.

Durability

Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Distance covered doesn't really matter,

You could argue it's not fit for purpose, if that was true then they'd have to give you a full refund.

The chain snapping sounds like a 'freak' event though. And the brakes may have just been poor setup. It's unfortunate, but depending on how much you wanted the bike/like it apart from the faults it may be worth letting them replace the rear wheel.

Bikes don't tend to have problems, it'll be individual components, or bad adjustment.

But have a look at the SOGA and see what your rights are.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Koncordski wrote:
    If you stick to your guns I think they owe you a full refund. It's reasonable to assume a new bike should last more than 3 months without a string of failures.

Durability

Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association

Do you think this applies to bottom brackets?

Anyone know how long a ceramic bottom bracket should last?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    think the shop is well within its rights to replace the rear hub and give it back to you. Try to negotiate an upgrade to the 11 speed alfine, by all accounts its a lot lot better, albeit a touch tricky to get hold of.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm sure you are well within your rights to return and claim a full refund.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Before we all get into what the SOGA allows and means, have a read of this from the other place; 8 pages of it, some it quite informative, some of it not. Interesting read though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12797473&sid=935c6c10a98e7cab7f07bade8a1076a8
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Ok, so it broke well within 6 months so it's up to them to prove it wasn't broken when they sold it. Assuming they can't I am due a refund or replacement.
    t4tomo wrote:
    think the shop is well within its rights to replace the rear hub and give it back to you.

That's what I guess I need to know. Are they allowed to say, "Here is a new hub, the rest didn't break so tough". Or, as the bike is sold as a whole (rather than me buying components and building it myself) am I within my rights to get a refund for the lot. Rest of the bike will have some minor wear as it's been ridden, but is that their problem or mine?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You don't have to accept a repair or a replacement. Read any consumer advice site - that will quickly cover your rights
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH