eBay and international buyers

cookiemonster
cookiemonster Posts: 668
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi

I have someone from Denmark interested in my frame on eBay and is happy to pay international postage. Two questions: first, are there any issues or scams that I need to be aware of wrt to international buyers on ebay? I'm planning on payment via paypal if that makes a difference.

Second, shipping the bike - I'm looking at parcelfarce or DHL. Its expensive at the ~£100 mark, but the chap appears willing to stump up the readies. Any tips, pointers or advice on sending a frame internationally?

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Chargeback rules are different for international payments, meaning the merchant has less protection. Paypal claim to offer seller protection: https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/safe ... OnEbay.htm
    ...but the reality is that it's not good, particularly if someone pulls a 'goods not as described' card, as that is nearly impossible to defend against.

I'd also be worried if someone is willing to pay £100 on postage, to be honest. Is the frame particularly rare, or a particular bargain?
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • If you're concerned that he might try to scam you, tell him you'll only accept payment by cheque or bank transfer from foreign buyers.
    If he's genuine, he won't mind.
  • Cervelo RS in very good condition at half price. I reckon its a bargain! and they dont come up for sale secondhand that often. That said, its not Ernests very first steel frame or anything

jon
  • If you're concerned that he might try to scam you, tell him you'll only accept payment by cheque or bank transfer from foreign buyers.

Is paypal less secure?
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Bank transfer via SWIFT is pretty much the same as cash - check with your bank for certainty of funds dates though.

Paypal is fundamentally not great for sellers.
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl

Is paypal less secure?

The buyer can do a chargeback through Paypal and you'll be out of pocket. He can't with a bank transfer and as long as you wait a couple of days to ensure the cheque has cleared, it shouldn't bounce.
  • Thanks folks

Its actually cheaper to fly there with easyjet than to ship, so i'm offering that i physically turn up (he pays my flight) and that he pays in advance via bank transfer

Cheers

Jon
  • Check flight prices.
    Look at the buyer's feedback too, see what he's bought & sold. Paypal (& eBay, if he pays by BACS, cheque, cash etc, then eBay can reclaim money from you too, remember that they & Paypal are one & the same these days!) always weighs in on the buyer's side.
    Remember that you'll get Paypal fees on the whole payment, frame & postage, so add that to the potential costs of posting the frame.
    If you do post, make sure it's sent by insured & signed for delivery.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    If the frame is a bargain you'll easily shift it in this country. Without any of the known or unknown hassles.

Any way, from what I've seen, some idiot will probably pay up to ninety percent of the new cost of any item, second hand or not. So you may get more cash for your frame too.
  • Ive sent Ultegra stuff to Denmark and even a Pinarello frame to Japan

both paid with paypal and i had no issues at all

Simon
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've sent wheels to the US and a frame to Taiwan without any worries.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..