Grips.

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited September 2011 in MTB buying advice
ive baught a boardman pro 2011 still with its standard lock on grips and did dalby forest red/black. The palms and the bottom of my fingers are all really brused and ripped the skin of the ends of my finger tips even though i was wearing fingerless gloves. i know id expect some of this as i did on my carrera kracken and i understand grips need to be worn in but never had brusing before. what grips are best to stop this happening or atleast minimise its effects? thanks for the help
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• jon1993
    also just out of intrest if anyone has any additional ideas to minimise these effects forks are set to my weight but with vertually no damper on just because its easier to jump would this effect this happening? , tyres set to about 30psi everything else is as standard thanks again
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Stop gripping the bars so hard?

Change the grips from your old bike to the new one?

You got your brake levers set up in the right position?

If you have a fast rebound setting it won't help much with your hands, you don't need a fast rebound to jump
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Try some different grips and maybe loosening your hands a little? Superstar grips are pretty soft (particularly the xcel, but they're quite big), and cheap too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jon1993
    i dont grip the bars hard i lernt that a while back but when you dont after a while your joints in your fingers ache badly. i cant change the grips of the old bike unfortunately there worn out :( also the brake levers are set up right i belive. furthermore ill have a play still new to having the ability to do so any rule of thumb how much dampening to have on? thanks
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Maybe try some gloves with some gell cushioning?
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • SavellM
    SavellM Posts: 94
    I would vote for the ODI Troy Lee grips, they are nice, feel great too.
    Also a glove with gell pads as was mentioned.
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Ive gone through a few sets of grips trying to find the best for me - I've settled at the moment on Lizardskin Charger but I also use the ODI Troy Lee on occasions.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    ODI Yeti grips are my fave's, been using them for years.

Don't really understand how you've damaged your fingertips but might be worth getting some full finger gloves.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    I use the Ritchey WCS foam grips on my Boardman, less weight + gets rid of trial buzz which is probably what is causing your bruising, I set my forks on the fastest rebound though as i tend to ride lots of rooty stuff.

Only downside to foam grips is I keep losing the plastic end caps, can also vouch for Superstar grips very good value.
  • +1 for the Lizard Skins Chargers. I use them with a pair of 661 Raji gloves. Worst I get on my hands are small callouses every few months. Grips are also wide enough for big hands, bbut not too wide for tapered 700mm bars (Truvativ (holzfeller?)).
    Big guy; small air!