Ride around the Donington Circuit?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/about-d ... e-charity/

Erm. Wow. :shock:

This is less than 2 miles from my place. I may have to go. It'd be rude not to really!
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Craner Curves should be fun.
  • That looks a great laugh. I'd like them to have the Stig doing it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've just realised I can film it.

Where's the booking page????? :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Pufftmw wrote:
    I love Donnington & Craner Curves are just awesome :D

I'm infracting you on SN for maliciously misspelling Donington. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Entry... err.... entered. 8) :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Would love to have done that but too late notice and too expensive :cry:

Hope they do it again next year when I'm not broke.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited August 2011
    dcurzon wrote:

*might* be slightly faster than I manage it!

(if I can get anything which says 6 mins something I'll be ecstatic :D )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just had confirmation I can film on the circuit, so youtube footage will be available within an hour of me getting home :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Great memories of driving DocJock's car (with him as passenger) through Craner, the back end steps out at the apex, I correct it neatly and carry on. On the video there was a slight pause in conversation as his bottom contracted for a few seconds... :D
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'm always jealous when I watch the F1 coverage and you see the drivers cycling/running the tracks. Must be amazing to be able to do that around the worlds greatest circuits.

KB - have fun, I'm eagerly awaiting the footage!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ran round Lyddon circuit (1 mile!) when they did 'run the world' charity runs.....it's possible I may have won that.......

Donners isn't far from me, but busy that day dammit!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    I ran round Lyddon circuit (1 mile!) when they did 'run the world' charity runs.....it's possible I may have won that.......

Donners isn't far from me, but busy that day dammit!

Simon

is that Lydden, Kent? I LOVE that circuit! Great for riding around (think my best there was 48sec's) and great for spectating (its like a little ampitheatre), and a lay in on sundays as local bye-laws prevent the starting of any race engine before noon!
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • I was supposed to be racing there this weekend (in a car) :(.

If their using the National circuit the chicane at the end of the lap will be good fun, the back straight is slightly downhill and the chicane is now a fast right-left flick. I look forward to peoples' footage...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Do it if you can - great circuit.

Craner is a hairy experience, if you're getting a demo from a pro then doubly so :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just got the instructions email - they're going to be using chips so you can record your fastest lap time. I think mine will most likely be the 2nd one, as I may be fading after 5 miles of full on (I'm crap, me).

I think I'll pig out on chocolate and energy drinks as well, so I'm sugar buzzing when I get there (mind you, I think I'll be buzzing anyway, so that idea may be academic!)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Next time this happens I'm going to post early and let people know, 'cos that was bloody great fun!!!

Managed to top 40mph down the Craner Curves several times and cycled 'round with a couple of the CAT 4 guys 8) (yeah, I know - they were pootling)

Got some good footage as well - just need to sort out the bits to put into a small montage and work out HOW to do a small montage!!

(oh, and I managed a couple of >20mph average laps which is the target I set for myself, so I'm happy with myself as well)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Next time this happens I'm going to post early and let people know, 'cos that was bloody great fun!!!

Managed to top 40mph down the Craner Curves several times and cycled 'round with a couple of the CAT 4 guys 8) (yeah, I know - they were pootling)

A lovely evening and fortunate that there was a tailwind on the lumpy bits - A headwind on the uphill bits would have been a less fun.

First time on the circuit and surprised how small the whole site is but then my reference for these things is riding round Silverstone.
  • BM? You were there? I was the guy with the bright yellow top on a Madone 4.5 (blue and white carbon thing) and a bullet cam strapped to his head :D

Let me know what you look like and I'll see if I have any footage of you

Oh, and you are VERY right about the wind - nightmare down the Dunlop straight but thank God we had a tailwind climbing up from the old hairpin to Coppice. My footage really demonstrates how bad the wind was, when you turn 'round Redgate, everything goes REALLY quiet :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • BM? You were there? I was the guy with the bright yellow top on a Madone 4.5 (blue and white carbon thing) and a bullet cam strapped to his head :D
    I do remember seeing someone with a bullet camera strapped to their helmet so that could well have been you.

I was wearing an all black outfit and riding a rather dirty blue Planet X SL Pro Carbon as I'd been out for a ride yesterday morning and didn't have time to clean it due to having to go to a meeting in the afternoon before going straight up to Donington.

I only did seven lap having done 35 miles in the morning and don't know my lap times but my pace appears consistent at an average speed of 19.4mph despite stopping to take photos.
  • Here we go - please enjoy!

http://youtu.be/POOWpTXldTs?hd=1

(not the best editing but the Contador moment made me chuckle)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X