new bike dilema

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I am thinking about getting a new bike. A birthday treat for myself as I now have the money I didn't have when I started cycling again.

However I'm not really one of those women who likes spending money. And I get a bit attached to things and feel a tad guilty about potentially getting rid of my Giant when there's nowt wrong with it. It would need to be "get rid of" btw, n+1 isn't an option, I don't have room to store another bike :(

I have some queries though.

I was thinking new bike now as with the 2012 bikes coming out you can find some bargains. However I'm not so sure shops stock enough bikes for short @rses like me for them to have an excess at the end of the season they need to sell off cheap. And if I'm going to pay full price for a bike I may as well use my Giant over the winter and get a new one next year when it's...ahem nicer weather. Or should I just get one now :wink:

How should I be comparing bike geometries to make sure a new bike would be the right size. Do I just try and get all the mesurements as close as possible. After a bike fit I got a new stem and handlebars fitted to raise my position. I guess if the reach is a little long or I feel too low down I could just transfer those the a new bike.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    suzyb wrote:
    I am thinking about getting a new bike... I don't have room to store another bike :(

Suzy, you're not thinking hard enough.
    Get a folder. N+1 and minimal space taken up.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Why do you want another bike? Because you want something lighter or you want better components or just because?

Why not take a look around at what's around on sale and see if there's anything that really speaks to you - a gorgeous upgrade to what you have. If something leaps out, then get it.
    If you don't see anything, then keep looking. You've got a bike already so there's no real pressure on you.

Unless you see something fabulous though, you're probably as well keeping the Giant for the winter though. Um... and I said I'd get rid of my hybrid when I got my road bike since I didn't have room. I still have and use both :oops:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Suzy, your Giant is a lovely bike, and I don't think you have ridden it that much, so not sure why you want want another bike. Are you looking for something better, faster, lighter? Plus I remember the trouble you had getting the right size, and a rather long trip to pick it up!

Best beating up the Giant through the winter, then seeing if you feel the same in the spring..... or maybe a couple of upgrades to the Giant will keep you happy.

I have always fancied a full on road bike, but that would be a kick in the face to my trusty Tricross, but maybe next year for a full on assault on the Etape Caledonia.... and maybe even the Etape Hibernia.

And I do fancy a full sus MTB......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Wheels

You need new wheels

Go to Ribble, Planet X or Merlin Cycles* for the best value

* register for their VIP club for 10% extra off

Or new tassles for your handlebars
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hi Suzy,

The Competitive Cyclist website has a really comprehensive bike fit calculator. You will learn to be friends with your sternal notch (fnurk).

However I agree with most of the above - run the Giant through to spring and then start shopping baby! Also means you've got another few months to fill the penny jar :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wheels

You need new wheels

Go to Ribble, Planet X or Merlin Cycles* for the best value

* register for their VIP club for 10% extra off

Or new tassles for your handlebars

Wheels make a lot of sense, you get a lot of extra oomph from good wheels, and yours look like the basic, stock wheels. Are they 650s?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Wheels make a lot of sense, you get a lot of extra oomph from good wheels, and yours look like the basic, stock wheels. Are they 650s?
    Yes 650c.

Which is partly the reason I started thinking of a new bike. I read that most bikes at my size now come with 700c wheels instead of 650c which obv are easier to upgrade as they are more common. Plus I've got the idea in my head that as 700c wheels roll better I might be able to get a higher average speed.

Plus the whole better components (behind brake lever shifting) and maybe a little "just because".

Not too fussed about less weight though. It would be a lot cheaper to loose weight from me than than the bike (but far from easier :evil: ).

Anyway, I shall stick to my Giant for now. Might even give it that wheel upgrade as that was the one thing in the BR review of the model that let the bike down.
  • I can understand the upgrade itch, then. You not only get better choice of wheels, but also tyres. I'm not sure about the speed thing, though, as many track and TT bikes use 650 wheels, they're also going to be slightly lighter and faster accelerating.

Mavic do Open Pro rims in 650 size, you could get those built-up by a decent wheelbuilder and you'd have a great wheelset.