Too Tuck or Pedal: Descending

TheRez
TheRez Posts: 28
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Good afternoon - Lately I have been testing the difference between coast/tucking down hills vs semi-tucking/with pedaling.

I guess what I am trying to ask is what is most efficient/fastest pedaling down a hill or tucking down a hill?

I pretty much pedal the whole time until my legs are just gone and then I get into more of a tuck and coast.

I ask because I notice I usually catch and pass riders who tuck right from the start of the descent. So that makes me wonder if pedaling the whole time is the key..

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I have a great technique that helps me to overtake a lot of riders on the descent.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    TheRez wrote:
    Good afternoon - Lately I have been testing the difference between coast/tucking down hills vs semi-tucking/with pedaling.

I guess what I am trying to ask is what is most efficient/fastest pedaling down a hill or tucking down a hill?

I pretty much pedal the whole time until my legs are just gone and then I get into more of a tuck and coast.

I ask because I notice I usually catch and pass riders who tuck right from the start of the descent. So that makes me wonder if pedaling the whole time is the key..

Thanks in advanced.

It does not really matter unless your in a race and getting dropped.
    If you pedal at start of descent you can accelerate and then coast which is why you may pass some of your mates.
    If you start to spin out then just tuck and coast.
  • TheRez
    TheRez Posts: 28
    bompington wrote:
    I have a great technique that helps me to overtake a lot of riders on the descent.

I way 134Lbs That is 9 stone + 4 lbs and I am 5.7 so have a climbers build. But yea, I do not have much weight to throw down a descent. ha
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Why can't you get down on the drops, tuck in properly and pedal?

Generally when I get to 100rpm at 50x11 I reckon there's no point pedalling.

If you can stil pedal and not spin out then keep pedalling.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I'd imagine at high speed just getting tucked into a good aero postion is probably faster than thrashing away at the pedals all the way down.
  • I tend to pedal a bit at the start of the descent t get some speed up, then coast along to get some much needed rest bite from pedalling.

Enjoy the rest, but to avoid losing too much speed do some pedalling to build it up.
  • ak-77
    ak-77 Posts: 14
    Pedaling is probably faster, coasting is definitely more efficient.
  • It also depends on the type of descent it is. is it more of a sweeping curve descent where you don't need to slow down and get back up to speed much, or is it a technical switchback descent? If the latter, then pedaling on the hoods is the way for me, but keeping upper body quite low to try to reduce drag.