Fizik Aliante Setup Advice

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Hey all,

Just moved from an Antares to an Aliante and whilst it definitely feels more comfy I can't get the front end tilt set up right.

I thought that the front should be slightly up to create a "V" in the middle for you to perch but when I do that I find that after an hour or so especially when riding mainly on the drops I can feel the front end digging into my precious bits and its causing discomfort.

But if I lower it then the rear lip pushes me forward and isn't as comfy on the sit bones??

I am sure this could be "the one" but just need to tweak that tilt some more and any advice to speed things up would be greatly received.

Thanks!
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• I have mine (as do many others) so that the nose is level with the tail - that will give you the dip in the middle and stop you sliding forwards. Works for me.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Get a spirit level and level between the back of the saddle and the front of the saddle. You will then have the "sweet spot" of the saddle at the bottom of the v, after that it is a case of fine adjustments - slight lowering of the front end to reduce pressure at the "precious bits", slight raising to stop sliding forwards. Moving the saddle forward or back may also help.
  • Sammyw23
    Cheers both - will try that and may try shifting it forward a touch see if that helps
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Perhaps you have too deep / long a drop to the bars which is putting too much weight forward - people do this on the premise that it looks 'cool' but don't have the flexibility or core strength of a pro cyclist.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Sammyw23
    Quite the opposite actually - FSA Wing Compact bars on both bikes for that very reason. Ultra comfy. Going to try moving the saddle forward a touch see if that helps.
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Sammyw23
    BUT....you make a relevant point Monty Dog. I have put the same saddle on both bikes and the discomfort is much less noticeable on my winter bike which has a marginally more upright position (stem is 1cm higher and shorter).

But for hard riding in the summer I prefer the slightly more stretched out position. I may have to stick with the Antares for that as it wasn't horrific anyway....
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I have just demoed the Antares, having been very happy with the Aliante I bought three days before. The Antares is fantastic on the more aggressive of my bikes, the Aliante is great on the less aggressive bike. So I agree with what is being said here.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Been riding Aliante for three or four years and it is best imo when absolutely level .....