Winterprooferisation for a carbon road bike....

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Ok, here's the b]redacted for KB's benefit[/b:

I've got 3 bikes available:
1. Ribble Sportive Carbon, narrow-tyred/narrow-clearanced road bike. Fast, light.
2. Carbon 456 'proper' mountain bike. Not heavy for an MTB but not light comapred to the Ribble, upright, wide bars, no big ring, built/specced for mountains, not the road.
3. Claud Butler Pagan 'crappy' mtb. My old MTB, now on slick-tyres 'hack' duties, still with 18 tonne pig iron suspension fork and 7 speed Tourney gears. The wheels probably weigh the same as the Ribble.

The problem is that I want to keep commuting through the winter, I've got lights and appropriate clothes, so it's just about the bike. I ride down quiet country roads, which are probably going to be very prone to at best thick frost, more likely to be patches of ice in dips and under the tree cover. And if it snows again they'll be low down on the list of gritting priorities, if they even get gritted at all.

So, the road bike could lead to some painful slipping and sliding.....or it might be fine.

So I've got a few options:

1. Keep the Ribble as it is, maybe with new tyres, if anything slick and narrow is going to be better than the Gatorskins I've currently got.
Cheap, fast, easy, potentially dangerous!

B. Use one of the MTBs, maybe the old one with a rigid fork, and I can switch to spiked tyres during the worst of winter.
Slow, heavy, a little more expensive, much heavier.

iii. Buy a CX frame and forks. Buy canti brakes (which would work with caliper levers?) and swap everything else over from the Ribble (105, Shimano RS10s). Could be done for £350 (E.G. PX Uncle John) for a brand new frame, forks and brakes, I can do the work myself. Would add a bit of weight, but would let me use winter-y tyres. If I like it I can sell the Ribble frame and make back a fair chunk of money and use the CX all year.
More expensive, safer, more practical in the long run, slightly heavier, still quick

4. N+1 :wink: Expensive!
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    N+1.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I stopped reading after sit rep. I can't take any more text after sit rep.

You were lucky I got past the bloody americaniZation in the bloody title.......

I now hate you and am plotting your downfall.

Oh, and I have a CX bike with Winter tyres, so I don't have this problem. So nuh.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87

Ahem....it's an 'S'!
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:

Ahem....it's an 'S'!

Also, it really shouldn't be capitalised. Is that a northern thing?
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Ahem....it's an 'S'!

Also, it really shouldn't be capitalised. Is that a northern thing?

Why, are capitals a southern thing? :wink:
    MTB/CX

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If you ride your best bike in winter it ceases to be your best bike.

I don't make the rules. I live by them.

Of course if your Ribble has Athena on it, it becomes a girls bike.

They're the rules.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    option B - go to a bike jumble sale (or maybe get lucky at the local tip?) and get some cheap rigid forks ? sensible tyres would help, and you can put mudguards on

you will appreciate your best bike(s) more when you ride them
    your winter hack will survive the winter water/grit/crud/abuse better than the other 2
    least faffy option
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Of course if your Ribble has Athena on it, it becomes a girls bike.

They're the rules.

Still this old chestnut...perhaps you're just not man enough to ride it :)
    Presumably when SRAM Clint and Shimano Butch come out, you'll be first in the queue ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Anyway, back on topic, CX sounds like a good move.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bails87
    The notion of a 'best bike' doesn't matter to me. I ride my road bike to get to work and back, that's pretty much it. For the odd occasion that I go out on it at the weekend/evenings I think I could live with a CX bike. I don't do races, club runs or anything like that. Has anyone switched from road to CX for a commute? Did it make a big difference in terms of speed?

I might have to do a test run on the sh1t bike to see how unpleasant, or not, it'll be doing 30 miles a day on it.
    MTB/CX

• bails87 wrote:
    Has anyone switched from road to CX for a commute? Did it make a big difference in terms of speed?

Yes me. No.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    bails87 wrote:
    The notion of a 'best bike' doesn't matter to me.

Yeabuwha?

Huh. The notion of a best bike... you mean you don't have a bike you wheel out into the dinning room to show guests anytime the wife has a dinner party?

You don't have a bike you adorn so much love and attention the wife/gf/kids feels a little jealous.

You don't have a bike that you find so insanely pretty that you (i) have developed a minor OCD about and (ii) secretly siphon funds to spend on it?

If you don't then get one.

As to your dilemma, I'd probably strip down the mountain bike giving it lighter forks, wheel, carbon seat post, good slicks and ride that through the winter. Or the CX option.

Also what the hell are GatorSkin's doing on a carbon bike? Dude get 4 seasons or if you're feeling racey the best of the best GP4000s. No I don't have a reason. It's just because!

I ride my road bike to get to work and back, that's pretty much it. For the odd occasion that I go out on it at the weekend/evenings I think I could live with a CX bike. I don't do races, club runs or anything like that. Has anyone switched from road to CX for a commute? Did it make a big difference in terms of speed?

I might have to do a test run on the sh1t bike to see how unpleasant, or not, it'll be doing 30 miles a day on it.[/quote]
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've gone from road to CX for the last two winters. Bit of a difference in top-end speed, but things tend to be slower in the winter, so not a problem. It's the lack of braking power provided by the cantis which is the issue.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    cjcp wrote:
    I've gone from road to CX for the last two winters. Bit of a difference in top-end speed, but things tend to be slower in the winter, so not a problem. It's the lack of braking power provided by the cantis which is the issue.

Yep thats why i'm looking to see if i can get something like this on the cycle to work scheme http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... apour-disc
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • cjcp
    Torvid wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yep thats why i'm looking to see if i can get something like this on the cycle to work scheme http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... apour-disc

8). WANT.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    cjcp wrote:

Consider a change to discs? See Frankenbike thread for further info, but surely you need better brakes (rather than worse) in the winter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Consider a change to discs? See Frankenbike thread for further info, but surely you need better brakes (rather than worse) in the winter.

I've no idea if it's possible on the Kona; never checked. Will do, though.

It's counter-intuitive, yes. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    The notion of a 'best bike' doesn't matter to me.

Yeabuwha?

Huh. The notion of a best bike... you mean you don't have a bike you wheel out into the dinning room to show guests anytime the wife has a dinner party?

You don't have a bike you adorn so much love and attention the wife/gf/kids feels a little jealous.

You don't have a bike that you find so insanely pretty that you (i) have developed a minor OCD about and (ii) secretly siphon funds to spend on it?

If you don't then get one.
    Answer to all of the above is yes, yes, and yes but without the furtive syphoning of money - if it needs money it can have it. That bike is the weekend bike, the Sunday run, Saturday run and commute special all rolled up into one v nice carbon road bike (BMC SLX01 if you're bothered). I don't get the logic of having a great bike and then not using it in case it wears out or gets dirty or you might fall off it and damage it. Use it, have three years or so of having and enjoying the best bike bike for miles around, then when the time comes buy another one a bit better and repeat. The alternative is to ride something that's not as good as the bike you've splashed out a good bit of dosh on just to hide it in the shed. Nuts or what?

And where does this idea come from, that on October 30th Britain freezes over and it rains every day until March? Not in my world it doesn't. Winter is full of grey days, bright sunny cold days and the occasional day that involves cold wet weather. On those days it's the gear that's wrong not the weather; more layers, get on with it. If it's icy or snowed up then I'm in the car.

Anyway.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    AAAAAk8nxv4AAAAAACMM-w.jpg

is waiting....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    KB works in Insurance?

scottishwidows.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I see a gradual ebb and flow in my commuting steeds. Currently a Ribble Gran Fondo (with manly Centaur for DDDs benefit - half horse, half man - not sure which half is which though but never mind) fitted permanently with Crud Road Racers to keep the cack out of the bearings/drive train etc (essential I reckon). Once it gets properly dreary, I'll switch to the old school Dawes cos it's all simple stuff and replacement parts cost less than the VAT on the Ribble spares.

Then, when things get really horrible, dark all the time, snow, ice, sleet and (I'll stop now, it's making me depressed!) I'll wheel out the MTB. The marathon winters will go on and come off according to the conditions; if ice is likely, they'll be on.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    Rolf F wrote:
    The marathon winters will go on and come off according to the conditions; if ice is likely, they'll be on.

See, this is my dilemma, do I buy winter tyres to fit my old MTB, or buy a bike to fit the winter tyres? :lol:
    MTB/CX

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    To be honest, for what you use it for I reckon a CX or light tourer/audax is probably optimal given it would allow you to run fatter tyres, guards and a rack. I don't think you want to muck around with the 456 and your old MTB sounds pretty horrid. Personally I'm dubious about the idea of watching the 10 o'clock news, seeing snow forecast and popping out to the garage to wrestle with a tyre change. Sod that. If you are going to run a set of studded tyres I think you need a spare set of wheels.

I've been using a CX bike all year round for 5 years. I've even used it on a triathlon. I seemed to be able to keep up with most of the road bikes...
    Works well but I am also not that impressed by the cantis. Just ordered a fairly similar bike with hub gears and discs.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I've no idea if it's possible on the Kona; never checked. Will do, though.

It's counter-intuitive, yes. :lol:

All you need is a new P2 fork with disc mounts. You could live with a canti on the back just stick one disc on the front. I was thinking of doing this to the Boardman when I was riding the whole way. But it doesn't solve the tyre issue in the winter. Or the knackeredness issue all year round.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jedster wrote:
    Personally I'm dubious about the idea of watching the 10 o'clock news, seeing snow forecast and popping out to the garage to wrestle with a tyre change. Sod that. If you are going to run a set of studded tyres I think you need a spare set of wheels.

Your bikes are in the garage?!! :shock: What century is this?!!!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kelsen wrote:
    KB works in Insurance?

scottishwidows.jpg

Thought that was AppleSpider
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    Hmmm.....Planet X are doing carbon Guerciotti cross frame, forks and headsets for £299.......

Being sensible, I might look for a second hand frame. Should be an easy job to swap everything over, possibly spend a few quid on new cables, canti brakes aren't a significant outlay, if I don't like it then spend another hour or two moving everything back, and sell the frame without losing much money.

There's one other regular cyclist I see on my route, she's got a CX, and today (before scalping :wink:) I was chatting to a guy who rides a 23 mile commute on his CX, along the same route as me, but starting from further away. There's obviously some secret Warwickshire commuters CX club I haven't been told about. Maybe the membership card comes with the cape?
    MTB/CX

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Your bikes are in the garage?!! What century is this?!!!!

Some of them. Since you mention it, my commuting bike tends to live by the back door under a little roof. I put an Abus ground anchor in. Saves faff. However, if I was mad enough to want to swap tyres over because of inclement weather, I would have to go out to the garage to find the tyres!

J
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm.....Planet X are doing carbon Guerciotti cross frame, forks and headsets for £299.......

Being sensible, I might look for a second hand frame. Should be an easy job to swap everything over, possibly spend a few quid on new cables, canti brakes aren't a significant outlay, if I don't like it then spend another hour or two moving everything back, and sell the frame without losing much money.

There's one other regular cyclist I see on my route, she's got a CX, and today (before scalping :wink:) I was chatting to a guy who rides a 23 mile commute on his CX, along the same route as me, but starting from further away. There's obviously some secret Warwickshire commuters CX club I haven't been told about. Maybe the membership card comes with the cape?

doesnt that frame have a rear disc mount option?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • bails87
    Yep, but using discs means buying new wheels, different forks and disc brakes (no point having discs on the back but not the front, seeing as the front does the most braking :wink) and then we're into brand new bike territory.....which I mustn't do! :lol:
    MTB/CX