Bizarre bike inflicted injuries - whilst stationary..

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
SO for the second time I have managed to inflict pain upon myself using my bike whilst not actually riding it..

1 - changing a tyre, hand slipped off the tyre lever and I punched myself in the face - no black eye but felt like a left breast.

2 - again, changing a tyre, one hand slipped off the tyre lever then caught my other thumb with the fabric of my glove and lifted the nail off my thumb, blood and much swearing ensued.

Anything similar out there? Or am I alone in this type of self abuse?

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Lots of times, all equally stupid. But nothing compared to story in new issue of Ride magazine here. A guy cleaning his drivetrain managed to sever a finger when it got stuck between rag and spinning chainring.

Ouch.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Punching the chainring when trying to remove a stuck pedal is a speciality of mine!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    get folding tyres mate , this requires no tyre levers , just a gentle but firm lift of the bead over the edge of the rim , Bliss

cheers
    Britannia waives the rules
  • My worst experience was when I couldn't open one of the locks on my bike box. Out comes the flat head screw-driver, leaning over the box, giving it some welly and POW! screwdriver slips and gashes my forehead, about a cm away from my eye-socket. DOH.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Put hooks into the wall, high up to hang my bike on. Was polishing the floor, caught a spoke with the hook on the end of the mop, pulled the bike off the wall which brought a large framed picture down on the way, managed to grab the bike but failed to avoid the shards of broken glass flying towards my feet. Had to mop the blood of the floor after that.

Since then I have learned about the correct use of raw plugs
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Bizarre but not stationary...
    Riding along in the winter when i tried to use my barrel adjuster wearing thick winter gloves, my hand slipped and brought me to a halt trapped between the spokes and fork, i cursed about the damaged glove and carried on riding, a mile or so down the road i felt a little light-headed so i stopped and took my glove and lining off, the finger was cut/torn to the bone.
    Rode home with my finger out in the cold and then took a trip to the A&E, i still can't figure out how it happened but at least it gave and still does give my mate a good laugh.
  • Bringing my bike in and out of the house, I've lost count of the number of banged shin episodes caused by a stray pedal.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Carrying my bike up the close stairs and the front wheel hit a step, the front of the bike bounces up and drops hit me on the top lip. Had a thick lip for 2 days. It's happened a few time now. :(

A bit off topic, but carried the bike outside and, unknown to me, I had a pair of undercrackers hanging from the stay on the rear mudguard. I was an accident, OK?!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Fell off my bike testing out the SPD's...in the living room!

Ended up with a semi circle of big ring teeth puncture marks on my calf - I looked like I'd been bitten by a shark.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Punching the chainring when trying to remove a stuck pedal is a speciality of mine!

The amount of times I have done this and I never learn!...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    SO for the second time I have managed to inflict pain upon myself using my bike whilst not actually riding it..

1 - changing a tyre, hand slipped off the tyre lever and I punched myself in the face - no black eye but felt like a left breast.

2 - again, changing a tyre, one hand slipped off the tyre lever then caught my other thumb with the fabric of my glove and lifted the nail off my thumb, blood and much swearing ensued.

Anything similar out there? Or am I alone in this type of self abuse?

Apologies but I laughed out loud at your post :lol:
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • timmyturbo wrote:
    get folding tyres mate , this requires no tyre levers , just a gentle but firm lift of the bead over the edge of the rim , Bliss

cheers

Ahem, depends which ones you get, some can be tighter than gnats chuff to get on the rim properly.
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Lots of times, all equally stupid. But nothing compared to story in new issue of Ride magazine here. A guy cleaning his drivetrain managed to sever a finger when it got stuck between rag and spinning chainring.

Ouch.

A former colleague did that.
    Seems really daft to clean the chain with the engine running to me.

Think my injuiries that fit this are the more mundane sort involving steel tyre beads.
    Bozman wrote:
    Bizarre but not stationary...
    Riding along in the winter when i tried to use my barrel adjuster wearing thick winter gloves, my hand slipped and brought me to a halt trapped between the spokes and fork, i cursed about the damaged glove and carried on riding, a mile or so down the road i felt a little light-headed so i stopped and took my glove and lining off, the finger was cut/torn to the bone.
    Rode home with my finger out in the cold and then took a trip to the A&E, i still can't figure out how it happened but at least it gave and still does give my mate a good laugh.

Ow!
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • aneesh99
    aneesh99 Posts: 67
    ddraver wrote:

The amount of times I have done this and I never learn!...

I have to put my hands up and join the line too!
    09 Iron Horse 6Point4
    05 Kona King Kikapu
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Bozman wrote:
    my hand slipped and brought me to a halt trapped between the spokes and fork

:D I did this as a kid; trying to pick a bit of cotton off a spoke whilst riding slowly.

I ended up on the road, just off a bend, unable to remove my hand. I had to slde over to the side of the road & call for my Dad so he could remove the wheel & 'free' me! :oops:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chainring gashes from trying to loosen chainring bolts or pedals is part of life's rish learning for a bike mechanic - learning to apply force away from the chainring is pretty important.

A spinning fixed gear bike in a workstand is very dangerous for inquisitive fingers - plenty of people have had their finger go round the chainring or sprocket trapped by the chain - very effective guillotine action!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Cutting a cable tie off, sliced into one finger tip & stabbed the knuckle of the next one. Got scars on both.

The usual cuts & bruises from chainrings
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'm surprised nobody has suggested it - but its all Wiggle's fault!!

My best one was trying to free a seized pedal. Leaning over the frame to push the spanner down with one hand and the opposite crank with my other hand, threads stripped out suddenly causing me to smack the floor with my hands, lose balance and fall on top of the bike. Various cuts n bruises from that one with me ending up in a heap on top of the bike. Doh
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Got some new pedals. Clipped in, out, testing them out. Im still in the house. Little ride around the open plan downstairs won't hurt. Twist to unclip, coast, stop. Put foot down foot accidentally clips back in. Put hand out to catch myself on door. Phew. Glass door, pause, pop. Ouch. Blood. Ambulance. Operation. Is pretty much how it went.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    By the way my tyres are all folders, and tight as a gnats chuff. Worst thing about last nights thumb injury, I have been unable to pick my nose all day. :x
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I know this is technically injuries while stationary but I was for 1 second before the glass gave way.

Also have another for various chainring gouges.
  • appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    Removing reflectors from wheels on wife's new bike, screwdriver slipped, straight into hand just below first finger, nicked tendon and caused serious nerve damage, couldn't feel end of finger for about 9 months, but go away without an operation. Oh, and not to mention quite a lot a blood and a vast amount of swearing.

At the time it happened my wife was already at the hospital providing support to her sister who was in labour. Imagine her surprise and delight at getting the phone call from me with blood gushing out of hand...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Towards the end of a long session on the turbo trainer my then young daughter walked in front of me. Reflexes cut in and I swerved to avoid her. No real injury, just pride, but I was surprised how unstable the turbo was. Wrote off the back tyre though.
  • Other than the knuckles into chainring trick, my best has been cleaning my bike in a stand upside down, taking it off and rotating back to the wheels on for and not holding the handlebars whilst doing it - cue my face kissing the rim and tyre!

Wife thought this was very amusing.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    Got some new pedals. Clipped in, out, testing them out. Im still in the house. Little ride around the open plan downstairs won't hurt. Twist to unclip, coast, stop. Put foot down foot accidentally clips back in. Put hand out to catch myself on door. Phew. Glass door, pause, pop. Ouch. Blood. Ambulance. Operation. Is pretty much how it went.

Ouch, made me wince
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Term1te wrote:
    Towards the end of a long session on the turbo trainer my then young daughter walked in front of me. Reflexes cut in and I swerved to avoid her. No real injury, just pride, but I was surprised how unstable the turbo was. Wrote off the back tyre though.

:lol::lol::lol: ...Sorry dude! :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Term1te wrote:

That's BRILLIANT. Glad you were okay, sorry about the tyre.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    After a short climb on a magnificent new Bianchi (since stolen in Australia) I paused at the top for my then-girlfriend to catch up. Tip toe on the ground, one foot on a raised pedal, upright in the saddle with arms folded and probably thinking how cool I looked. May have been framed by the setting sun at the time.

When . . .

The fork turned and the bike shot sideways under me, dumping me in a heap in the road but not before the chainring had driven two of its teeth into my ankle bone. Blood, ruined sock, trip to casualty and a bony lump on the spot that still makes choosing walking boots a difficult business
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ddraver wrote:

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Removing a stubborn pedal to get the bike in its box for flight home from Geneva Airport, my hand slipped and I put the chainring into my palm. If anyone opened my bike box they would have assumed I had murdered someone and put them in there. So much foam covered in blood! Geneva airport was also covered :oops:

Hand slipped removing my bottom bracket and I managed with all my strength to put the spanner in to my forehead - DOH!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali