1st-time bike buyer help?

14452dollars
14452dollars Posts: 4
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
First off, sorry if I come off as being ignorant or newbish. I've never purchased my own bike before and I'm definately not learned in the finer points of cycling. I just want to be able to seek sincere advice and assistance to point me in the right direction so I don't have to go stumbling around the internet for another 2 weeks figuring out what to buy. If there's another community or place where I can get a response to my question, then please refer me to it!

Anyhow, I'm looking for a versatile, reliable, durable bike. I figured MTB would fit that description. If not, then please inform me. I would like to keep my budget within $500 US (~£300) and would be delighted if my final purchase price came in below that number. My inseam with shoes on is about 34-35 inches (~86cm), my height is 6 feet (~183cm), and my weight is about 150 lb (~68kg). I'm going to be carrying stuff like backpacks and bags full of textbooks with me, so I think a cargo rack would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's a neccessity or even a possibility. Gears and brakes come standard with MTB I guess, and are desireable. Reflectors would be great too, along with a kickstand.

I'm fine with ordering stuff online, but considering how fit-oriented bike-purchasing is, I've found some shops in my area that could offer bikes for me to physically try out. I'll provide the links if it helps in recommending something:

http://bigshark.com/
http://www.maplewoodbicycle.com/
There's also an REI store in the area.

I'd greatly appreciate it if a specific bike or several specific bikes could be recommended for me to start efficient shopping. Again, if there's another place i should be asking or if my questions just aren't appropriate, please tell me so I can know what to do.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I would say a hybrid would suit you better as they are a mix of road and mountain bike...
    The GT Nomad, GT Transeo or at the top end of the budget the Dimondback Trace or Scott Sportster.

The above are great ror commuting and light off road use.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Alright, so I'm assuming hybrids are also quite reliable and durable?

I asked about MBT because that's what I had when I was a kid and that's the only bike I have any experiences with. Its generalized description sounded close to what I'm looking for, but I'm still open to suggestions!
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Alright, so I'm assuming hybrids are also quite reliable and durable?

I asked about MBT because that's what I had when I was a kid and that's the only bike I have any experiences with. Its generalized description sounded close to what I'm looking for, but I'm still open to suggestions!

The perception is that MTB are great do it all bikes, but on a low budget you get what you pay for and the spec is usually poor. Also wide chunky tyres drag on the road, therefore if your doing a lot of road miles and more light off road as in forrest tracks then a hybrid is a better buy. I would also go for cable rim brakes rather than mechanical discs as they are a lot cheaper to maintain and stop you just as well.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Thanks! I'll keep that in mind then.