Chainreaction cycles don't give a damn abt the environment!

Simon514
Simon514 Posts: 35
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Received brake mount adaptors from CRC and it was packaged in a huge cardboard box 10 x the size of the item which is really ridiculous and unnecessary. It could have easily fitted in a small jiffy envelope.

They keep doing this with small items.

CRC get your act together and reduce carbon footprint!

Comments

• Or when they ship things to the customer, they reduce their carbon footprint by re-using boxes from deliveries, instead of throwing them away and buying new ones.

Sounds like you've got it a bit backwards mate.
    Do your research.
  • Simon514
    Well if they reduced the size of the packaging They could have fitted through the letter box rather than wasting my time travelling 10 miles to the depot to pick it up.

I don't think you get it!!I guess you work for CRC??
  • I hope you cycled to the depot to collect it, got to keep that carbon footprint down! :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Or when they ship things to the customer, they reduce their carbon footprint by re-using boxes from deliveries, instead of throwing them away and buying new ones.

Do your research.

They arent recycled boxes they are brand new boxes stuffed with a mile of brown paper
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Simon514
    Of course...why do you think I didn't say drive to the depot. :wink:
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Well done then, neither do I. :evil:
    Don't think, BE:
  • Simon514
    Agreed...it's covered in chain reaction logo.

Mountainmonter, you have failed please shut up lol!
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v Posts: 93
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVuEm_MKM60

yeh as you can see they reuse boxes, they deffinatly dont have a machine that makes a brand new box for every order lol

i think the boxes are the least of there carbon footprint issues lol
  • Simon514 wrote:
    Agreed...it's covered in chain reaction logo.

Mountainmonter, you have failed please shut up lol!

As per the post underneath yours, they do re-use boxes. Just because it is big, and has the logo on the side, does not mean it is not re-used from something before. Maybe even for delivery of bikes between dealerships, or parts. Never know

There have been a few threads in the last year talking about cmopanies using big boxes, and it is well known the boxes are being re-used from other duties.

To quote you, "you have failed please shut up".
  • Or when they ship things to the customer, they reduce their carbon footprint by re-using boxes from deliveries, instead of throwing them away and buying new ones.

Do your research.

Every box I've ever had from CRC is brand new and used specifically for posting goods out to me...

On Friday I took delivery of some Formula K18s I bought from CRC, it arrived in a big box with the CRC logo on it... Opened that and inside was another box with the CRC logo that they'd put the brakes in!

My seatpost was delivered in a 50cm by 50cm box!
  • I also remember something to do with CRC realising that packages were just being left by postman on doorsteps so that their job was easier, and lots of packages were getting stolen. Bring in bigger boxes, and the postman can't just leave it sitting on the street for someone to steal.
  • Simon514
    edited August 2011
    When you say I quote lol... "maybe even for delivery of bikes between dealerships or part. Never know". Does that mean you are speculating and unsure? There's no " MAYBE" you should know if you have done your research.

Do you think sending one small brake post mount, baring in mind its no bigger than my middle finger in a cardboard suitcase is right? The weight alone would contribute to astronomical fuel cost!!
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Buying mail order and whining about the company' s carbon footprint is a bit hypocritical.

Rob
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think I'e ever had a "new" box from CRC.
    Last winter, I ordered some snowboard boots, and they came in a wheel box. Until I opened it I was a little confused about how they could have got my order so wrong.

Anyway, Cardboard can be recycled. If they're sending you recyclable boxes, and YOU are not recycling them, then it's your fault, you great tit.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You got the parts, its all good.. I can't really see large packaging being a problem. Surely there's more important things to get bothered about?

Also I get my bike stuff delivered to work, the front desk of the building always stores it for me, so it doesn't matter the size.
  • Simon514
    Nothing hypocritical.....just common sense!
  • Simon514 wrote:
    When you say I quote lol... "maybe even for delivery of bikes between dealerships or part. Never know". Does that mean you are speculating and unsure? There's no " MAYBE" you should know if you have done your research.

Do you think sending one small brake post mount, baring in mind its no bigger than my middle finger in a cardboard suitcase is right? The weight alone would contribute to astronomical fuel cost!!

You do realise even a huge cardboard box only weighs a few 100 grams, so even a box double the size of another only has a few extra grams thrown in? It's cardboard for god sakes. The boxes are re-used from something, but with each box you ever know, some get used for sending parts to their dealerships, from deliveries received among many other things. If you really think an extra 60 grams from a box makes a huge difference to fuel costs, why not buy from a LBS and save the "astronomical fuel costs", and save the pandas.
  • Simon514 wrote:
    Nothing hypocritical.....just common sense!

Maybe for your pockets. But other than that, nope. Comapnies get the products delivered to them, then you order them and get it delivered to you. Adds an extra step to the process if you ask me, and is not so "common sense".
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    If you really think an extra 60 grams from a box makes a huge difference to fuel costs, why not buy from a LBS and save the "astronomical fuel costs", and save the pandas.

Just about to say the same thing. Well, maybe not the bit about pandas.

Rob
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    If you re feeling guilty about the size of the box, just order more shiny stuff to fill it up with - simples... :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Wasn't there an story on the frontpage here a few months ago about a CRC visit? From what I remember, they have an automated system that can only choose between 3 box sizes for packing.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    warpcow wrote:
    Wasn't there an story on the frontpage here a few months ago about a CRC visit? From what I remember, they have an automated system that can only choose between 3 box sizes for packing.

that may be tue but know i have had things sent to me in a jiffy bag from CRC.
  • Simon514
    Yes I understand cardboard boxes can be recycled, still unnecessary. There is a thing called embodied energy that is required to recycle. If we all the same attitude that bigger is better, then more embodied energy is used! Get it nail head? Or is it pinhead??!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I work in warehousing and if we had boxes in every size we need for our orders we send out we'd need to rent an extra warehouse, we use 3 different sized boxes 10x6 16x10 and pallet sized. If CRC only need to send say 2% of there stock out in small boxes what is the point of buying in massive ammounts of boxes (cheaper to buy in bulk). Some orders we send out consist of a few brass compression fittings that could easily be sent by post but can be lost in transit but if sent in one of our smaller boxes by couier can be traced and works out cheaper than sending recorded delivery.

Maybe in future you should order enough stock to fill the box then you wouldn't need to worry about carbon footprint!
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    warpcow wrote:

that may be tue but know i have had things sent to me in a jiffy bag from CRC.

True. I actually received something from CRC yesterday that was obviously in a re-used box.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    they send stuff in cardboard boxes because cardboard CAN be recycled where as a Jiffy bag cant, sending small parts in a big recyclable box is more Eco friendly than sending them in a small non recyclable Jiffy bag.

Stuy
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    CRC use an automated packaging system that reduces the number of delivery lorries they have to use, so they have reduced their carbon footprint.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... nes-29496/
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Simon514 wrote:
    Yes I understand cardboard boxes can be recycled, still unnecessary. There is a thing called embodied energy that is required to recycle. If we all the same attitude that bigger is better, then more embodied energy is used! Get it nail head? Or is it pinhead??![/quote

LOL.

You sure are a feisty one, and also just so you know, i'm a fellow of the E3 foundation (Energy, Environment and Economics with Cambridge University, a manager of an environmental policy consulting agency, and a researcher for EnvirotechUK. No need to explain to me these simple things.

Also, embodied energy is a term used when describing the full manufacturing of products. Since most cardboard boxes are from recycled materials already, the embodied energy is already very low. For the scientist you seem to not realise that recycling of a product is only part of embodied energy, and that with cardboard, the energy levels are significantly reduced compared to other shipping materials, no matter the size of the box, considering that 90% of a box is air.

It saves the business money, the customers get their packages in some cases faster due to not having posties with the option of just leaving thigns on the side, and has no ill_effect on the customer. Don't see the huge problem.
  • Simon514
    60 grams.... do you think they just take one order?

Food for thought...I remember an advert on tv about saving energy and it involves families and home owners not turning the house lights off when they're not in the room or leaving the tvs on standby. The general attitude was don't worry it doesn't waste much.... Just imagine if we all adopted the same attitude with these big boxes? The population in the UK is about 62,000,000.....times that!
  • Simon514
    Mountainmonster, did you by any chance google all that info?... Cut and paste job??

Charlatan.
This discussion has been closed.